LegacyGT.com

'Break In' oil change

Subaru engines seem to shear down oil much faster than other engines ...

Source?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many other car makers are targeting idiots that are too lazy/cheap to change their oil and many other car makers dont give a damn once the car gets past 60K miles - which any modern engine will do even with shit for oil.

Truthfully, if you did nothing but highway cruising, you could easily get 10K or more miles out of your oil. But if you do mixed or a lot of stop n go, you're asking for a gunked up mess in your engine internals trying to extended intervals that long.

Oil costs about $50 for 7qts of Subaru synthetic or any other high quality synthetic. If you change at 5K intervals, at 200K miles you will have spent about $2000 for oil. Extending that interval to 10K will save you about $1,000 for the life of the car, but increase the chances that you will need a $5K rebuild or replacement before that point.

I drive almost all highway ~95 miles a day, 5 days a week.. I only used regular oil in my Sentra and changed the oil every 3500-4000 miles and never burned oil.. Traded car at 160,000 miles.. These engines run no hotter or work any harder than an inline engine.. My revs are the same with this car as the Sentra and engine temp is the same.. I could understand if this engine had a turbo..

I drive almost all highway ~95 miles a day, 5 days a week.. I only used regular oil in my Sentra and changed the oil every 3500-4000 miles and never burned oil.. Traded car at 160,000 miles.. These engines run no hotter or work any harder than an inline engine.. My revs are the same with this car as the Sentra and engine temp is the same.. I could understand if this engine had a turbo..

OK? Arent we saying the same thing? You erred on the side of caution with your Sentra doing 3.5-4K mile oil changes and you ended up with a perfect running engine at 160K miles.

General rule of thumb with a modern engine - use high quality oil and change it every 5k miles and youre good.

We know what they say about opinions.

Until Blackwater says the oil is shit I'll use extended intervals. Well, after the warranty expires.

My last car had 214k on the clock, didn't use more than 1/2 quart between changes which came at 12k. Didn't smoke or knock, run like a top. Amsoil every change after 70k, before that Toyota brand ever 3-5k.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Many other car makers are targeting idiots that are too lazy/cheap to change their oil and many other car makers dont give a damn once the car gets past 60K miles - which any modern engine will do even with shit for oil.

Truthfully, if you did nothing but highway cruising, you could easily get 10K or more miles out of your oil. But if you do mixed or a lot of stop n go, you're asking for a gunked up mess in your engine internals trying to extended intervals that long.

Oil costs about $50 for 7qts of Subaru synthetic or any other high quality synthetic. If you change at 5K intervals, at 200K miles you will have spent about $2000 for oil. Extending that interval to 10K will save you about $1,000 for the life of the car, but increase the chances that you will need a $5K rebuild or replacement before that point.

I guess by your statement I am an "idiot/ lazy/ cheap", It is not convenient to change my own oil, It is against the Homeowners documents and it against the law where I live since I am on the Wekiva Wildlife Preserve and the waterways runs into St. John River. Also my Subarus have lifetime free oil changes.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I guess by your statement I am an "idiot/ lazy/ cheap", It is not convenient to change my own oil, It is against the Homeowners documents and it against the law where I live since I am on the Wekiva Wildlife Preserve and the waterways runs into St. John River. Also my Subarus have lifetime free oil changes.

If you have lifetime oil changes, take it into the dealer every 5k miles. My point still stands.

• 9 months later...

Just updating this thread for anyone that's interested. I didnt take a sample at my 10K oil change, but got one for 15K. That was back in December, and Ive been too lazy to come back and update. But here is the UOA at 15K:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/DEC2016_UOA.jpg

At this point Im pretty sure that this engine has been appropriately broken in and is running well. I plan on running the Subaru synthetic until the car is out of warranty and then I will switch to my preferred Mobil 1. I may get a couple more UOAs just out of curiosity and if I do, I will post them.

For anyone interested.

Here is the UOA at just over 1,000 miles:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/UOA.jpg

Here it at exactly 5,000 miles

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/UOA2.jpg

And here she is at 15,000 miles

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/DEC2016_UOA.jpg

I plan on running the Subaru synthetic until the car is out of warranty and then I will switch to my preferred Mobil 1.

I can understand your 5000 mile oil change logic .... but I'm not sure why you would not run with your "preferred Mobil 1" now. You obviously think it is superior to the Subaru Synthetic, so why not use it now?? ... because it will not void your warranty. After confirming with SOA and discussing with my dealer, I have supplied my own preferred oil with my dealer servicing from day one.

I can understand your 5000 mile oil change logic .... but I'm not sure why you would not run with your "preferred Mobil 1" now. You obviously think it is superior to the Subaru Synthetic, so why not use it now?? ... because it will not void your warranty. After confirming with SOA and discussing with my dealer, I have supplied my own preferred oil with my dealer servicing from day one.

No reason, really. It just gives me a reason to pop into the parts dept at my local dealer and I just like having parts invoices for oil and filters in my service history binder. And yes, by law and in reality using Mobil 1 wont void warranty, but knowing the slimy types of rats that work at dealer service depts., the first thing they would latch onto for an internal engine warranty claim would be lack of documentation showing timely oil changes.

No reason, really. It just gives me a reason to pop into the parts dept at my local dealer and I just like having parts invoices for oil and filters in my service history binder. And yes, by law and in reality using Mobil 1 wont void warranty, but knowing the slimy types of rats that work at dealer service depts., the first thing they would latch onto for an internal engine warranty claim would be lack of documentation showing timely oil changes.

Just keep your receipts when you purchase your Mobil 1 .... that's what I do with my preferred oil (Nulon fully synthetic 5W-30) .... as long as you are using the required spec oil as per the manual, then don't waste your time worrying about any future oil related warranty issues .... you will never have a problem :)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 62 now, and I've been doing my own oil changes since I was 16 (You do the math...I'm too lazy). Only recently have I started paying someone else to do it. I wish now I had all that money I spent over those decades on oil changes done every 3,000 miles when the manufacturers didn't require it or even suggest it. That extra money would have been soooo much better spent on wine, women and good times! I thought I was doing my vehicles a favor. Truth is....They never even noticed it.

luv...why 3K??? If it makes you feel more comfortable, go every 5K (easy to keep track of that way) but every 3 is just a big waste of money and won't do your car any favors.

i should have continued and said that on my initial oil change i will do at 3k then 6k afterwards..

Archived