LegacyGT.com

'Break In' oil change

As long as the dealership is close to you and convenient to bring your car to get serviced then it makes it a good deal.

The do make a lot of money with the upfront paid services, but it does give you peace of mind.

In the south we get 4 free oil changes included and some dealerships do give you loaners.

Also roadside assistance is included for free from Subaru for the 3/36K period.

My dealer is about 10 minutes from the house and on my way to work so for me it's super convenient

TWO FREE WASHES A WEEK?!?!?!?! WTF!!! Shortline Subaru doesn't even wash the car after it's been serviced.:eek:

It's technically (1) per week but my sales guy said unless it's extremely busy and I don't "abuse" it, they really don't care as it's an excuse to get customers in the door.

After i had my dealer package done and after my 30-day check-in they washed it for me.

So far everytime I've stopped in my sales guy has been on shift and has come over to say hey and BS about things... He's a younger guy like myself with a WRX and we BS about mods and other stuff; wax poetic.

Their finance guy followed up in person to ask if I had any questions about my financing or had any issues with the loan/bank/etc.

Overall my Subaru and dealership interactions have been awesome.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too40 - why in the world would you buy Subaru oil from a dealership? You can by 10 quarts of high quality Pennzoil or Mobile 1 synthetic for $50 at Walmart. The filter is about $6 with gaskets at my dealer and you still would have saved about $10.

Too40 - why in the world would you buy Subaru oil from a dealership? You can by 10 quarts of high quality Pennzoil or Mobile 1 synthetic for $50 at Walmart. The filter is about $6 with gaskets at my dealer and you still would have saved about $10.

Trust me - I make GREAT use of the Walmart 5qt jugs for $23.xx or $26.xx for my other cars. However, with the Legacy being under warranty and I wanting to alleviate any future potential issues with SoA should a warranty claim come up (I dont dream of taking my car in for 'service' - everything in the maintenace booklet can be done in my own garage, less expensively and more throroughly than a dealer tech), plan to use OEM fluids at least up until the 60K mark. Like I said, $65 for 7 qts of OEM synthetic, and an OEM filter is not a bad price at all from the parts counter.

You will never get a warranty denied on the brand of oil you use as long as it meets the criteria which all oils will. Understand your paranoia but it is unwarranted. My dealer told me that if I bring him my Pennzoil Platinum oil and my subaru filter, they'll do my oil change for $14 labor...DONE! Total cost is $25 for oil, $5 for the filter and $14 labor...out the door at $44

And I believe we use the same dealer;)

You will never get a warranty denied on the brand of oil you use as long as it meets the criteria which all oils will. Understand your paranoia but it is unwarranted. My dealer told me that if I bring him my Pennzoil Platinum oil and my subaru filter, they'll do my oil change for $14 labor...DONE! Total cost is $25 for oil, $5 for the filter and $14 labor...out the door at $44

And I believe we use the same dealer;)

We do share the same dealer.

Im not paranoid about warranty denials based on oil, I just want to shove a log book with documented receipts in the smug face of some service advisor that questions my maintenance history just because I dont have a 'record' at the dealership. Ive done this before when doucher service advisors have tried to pawn off warranty claims and the look on their face is priceless when they get a binder or log book thrown in their face that documents in exacting detail, everything done to the vehicle.

Plus, it just makes me feel better to think that Im putting Subaru specified oil in the Subaru designed engine. It may be irrational, but it makes me feel better.

Also, why are you so enamored with Pennzoil Platinum? Im not criticizing, Im just curious. Personally, I have used Mobil 1 for practically every car Ive owned and Ive seen some superbly clean engines at very high (150k+) odometer readings.

The only exception to my Mobil 1 fetish has been my most recent Mustang with the Coyote engine - it got Motorcraft 5W-20 full synthetic (factory fill is the semi-synthetic) but I figured that if Ford engineers designed the Coyote, I couldnt do wrong with Ford specified oil.

In every case though, I used OEM filters. The filter is more important than the oil, and the OEM knows how to best design a filter for their engine.

Not enamored with Pennzoil as I have used Mobil 1 too but Pennzoil has received excellent reviews and I have been using the Platinum version for the past 3+ years and very happy with it. Castrol is also a very good synthetic oil. I just don't see the rationale to buy expensive dealer oil when, I believe that, Pennzoil or Mobil 1 is superior. We all do what makes us comfortable and can't fault you for that!

Not enamored with Pennzoil as I have used Mobil 1 too but Pennzoil has received excellent reviews and I have been using the Platinum version for the past 3+ years and very happy with it. Castrol is also a very good synthetic oil. I just don't see the rationale to buy expensive dealer oil when, I believe that, Pennzoil or Mobil 1 is superior. We all do what makes us comfortable and can't fault you for that!

Gotcha,

My point is that Subaru synthetic isnt 'expensive dealer oil'. I think I paid right around $7 /qt. Even at Walmart the Mobil 1 Quarts are $6. So the price difference is negligible. Now if it were like $10-$12/qt I would tell them to F themselves and go with Mobil 1. But at less than $7/qt, I dont care.

Again, Im curious, when you say Pennzoil has received excellent reviews, where are you getting the reviews from? BITOG?. Keep in mind, most of the folks at BITOG are blowhards that dont have much to do but argue about oil on the internet - most of them really dont know a whole lot about cars in general.

Every engine Ive had over the last 15 years has been absolutely thrashed and I mean beaten like a rented mule - but all of them have had M1 inside and I have had no issues. The time I blew an engine is when I had run it low on oil and I was thrashing the hell out of it up a 5000 ft mountain - completely my fault for not keeping up on the oil level.

Had some time earlier this week and got the 'break in' oil change done at 1,085 miles on the odometer. Im sending in an oil sample for analysis because Im curious what the level of wear metals is in the oil.

I cant believe how easy this car is to work on. While I was underneath, I happened to look up and see the exhaust manifold and it looks like you can literally remove it in 10 minutes!

Anyway, luckily Subaru gave me the 'certified' oil for 'professional use':

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/IMAG0366.jpg

I would've hated to have gotten the non-certified type for amateur use :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, as Im sure this topic will come up sometime in the future, if hasnt already, the 6th gen Legacy's are perfectly fine to jack up via the rear diff:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/IMAG0370.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/IMAG0368.jpg

The rear diff isnt listed as a jacking point in the owner's manual, as it used to be on previous year models, but it is definitely shown in the service manual, to be used with a floor jack and a block of wood. As long as you dont put pressure on the seal of the diff cover to the differential body, you will be fine - there is a flat area on the differential body that is meant to be lifted from.

Too40 - we should try and get together for lunch one day since we don't live far from each other. It's always nice to meet folks that you communicate with on forums. Would love to meet laz too as I know he'd bring sammiches to the meeting:)

Only God knows what SubieN8 would bring with her:eek::lol:

Hey guys,

Just to clarify there is no harm in using the Mobil 1 oil filters for the 2.5 correct? Also how in the hell are you guys getting them off...on my truck I would smash a screw driver through it and twist but I don't like doing those kind of maneuvers on our new car, I would consider myself decently strong and can't get it off by hand...suggestions ?

From what I can tell Mobil 1 should meet or exceed Subaru's specs.. I can't find any info that says Subaru approved which seems like BS that Subaru would need "special" engine oil.. Walmart sells Mobil 1 at a great price in a 5 qt. container..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-20-Advanced-Fuel-Economy-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt./17034374

From what I can tell Mobil 1 should meet or exceed Subaru's specs.. I can't find any info that says Subaru approved ...

Subaru's oil specifications for the 2.5 engine are:

• Synthetic Oil Required
  • SAE Viscosity 0W-20
  • API Classification SM or SN ... or ... ILSAC Certification GF-4 or GF-5

Any engine oil that satisfies those specifications is "Subaru approved."

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I think he asked about the Mobil1 oil filter specifically. As we know, Subaru filter bypass psi is quite high. I think the only filters that match the rating are Subaru and WIX/Napa Gold if I'm not mistaken.

There are many filters that are recommended for these engines from the manufacturers that make the filters. I use Amsoil filters with a lower psi ratings with no problems. More info on this on the site.

I don't really like the Amsoil rep's statement on the oil filter bypass valve pressure setting. I don't think there is any harm in running an oil filter that has a bypass valve pressure lower than 23.2psi, but ideally I think you should run a filter that meets that spec.

If you run an aftermarket oil filter with a bypass valve spec lower than 23.2psi, from what I understand that should increase the amount of unfiltered oil that bypasses the filter media inside the oil filter, sometimes. I say sometimes, because there are some different factors involved, such as the temperature and viscosity of the oil.

Here's another good (long) read on subaru's oil filter bypass valve spec, and their high flowing oil pumps. I'm not sure if the 6th gens have the same type of high flowing oil pump as the one mentioned in the link below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1410171

Subaru's oil specifications for the 2.5 engine are:

• Synthetic Oil Required
  • SAE Viscosity 0W-20
  • API Classification SM or SN ... or ... ILSAC Certification GF-4 or GF-5

Any engine oil that satisfies those specifications is "Subaru approved."

What a lot of people don't pick up on is the fact that

the primary spec is for 0W-20 viscosity. Current technology

dictates that this is available in synthetic only. I can't think

of any 0W-XX oil that is not synthetic. The highest temp

My oil has ever seen in the summer is 228F. Temps here in the

winter can get down as low as -20F. 0W-20 synthetic

covers it pretty well.

What a lot of people don't pick up on is the fact that

the primary spec is for 0W-20 viscosity. Current technology

dictates that this is available in synthetic only. I can't think

of any 0W-XX oil that is not synthetic. The highest temp

My oil has ever seen in the summer is 228F. Temps here in the

winter can get down as low as -20F. 0W-20 synthetic

covers it pretty well.

My understanding is that 0W-20 is a thin oil used primarily to maximize fuel economy. I wouldnt be 100% comfortable using this oil in an engine that I thrashed on a regular basis.

Archived