LegacyGT.com

cBax's #ynansb thread

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get it. This thing has been a complete shit storm of bad luck. The crappy seller that lived on 8 Ball Lane (really?), it's early demise, the used "new" shortblock... I figure its my right of passage into the turbo Subaru world after being an Evo owner for 8 years. My wife doesn't think too highly of the car (or my judgement) at the moment, but somehow she is still allowing me to proceed. I just hope the inevitable breakdown happens after a few months of smooth operation, not before.

I get it. This thing has been a complete shit storm of bad luck. I figure its my right of passage into the turbo Subaru world after being an Evo owner for 8 years. My wife doesn't think too highly of the car (or my judgement) at the moment, but somehow she is still allowing me to proceed. I just hope the inevitable breakdown happens after a few months of smooth operation, not before.

I'll be in the same boat when mine pops.

Money for many things future wifey wants done on the house will be spent on a 10+ year old car.

Same here.

There should be a thread on "how to prepare your wife for #ynansb".

If the cars body is in good shape, if other parts of the drive line are fine. It's better to put $5000 into something you know then buying an unknown car with its own set of issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Talked to the machine shop today. Needed all exhaust valves and 8 guides. Looks like its all going to run around 450. I estimated 500 for machine work, so I'm happy. He assured me that they were going to remove the oil passage plugs and clean everything out really good.

Now to get my list of small stuff together and place another order. One of the local Subaru dealers have been showing up at the local autocross events with their shop race car and I spoke with one of the service guys that says he can get me a pretty good deal. I'll compare that to what the forum vendors' prices and go from there.

Hope to be able to start putting the motor back together next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Moroso offers a pickup for much less than the KillerB. I have it on my shelf for when I rebuild. It looks like a solid piece. I got it off amazon for ~$95 shipped.

After doing some research and didn't really like the design of the Moroso. I got a KillerB one. It's nice.

Also picked up a Gates timing set w/ a Kevlar belt, GS crank pulley and some Group N motor mounts.

Been swamped at work lately and haven't had a chance to get the heads during regular hours or make any progress on anything else. Hopefully soon.

Got the heads back. Is there any way to tell if these exhaust valves are sodium filled? Stock is sodium filled, right? They don't have the same stamping as stock. The bill just says turbo ex valves.

Ask them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There is virtually nothing other than horror stories on the internet about Top Line parts. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about all the money and time being poured into this rebuild and it has the cheapest valves I can get in it.

Anyone else think I should go back with OEM or better aftermarket valves in hand and have them refund the $50 for the valves in there, install the new ones and check everything again?

It's worth a call.

I haven't had many good results by calling up and demanding things but you have some good reasons to have a beef with them. The second you (anyone) raise your voice, etc, is usually when people pack up even if they're in the wrong.

After a couple attempts, I finally got the right guy on the phone. He said they would credit me the cost of the ones they installed and install whatever I brought in free of charge.

He said he called their tech line and they told him that they were nitride coated. And said that he thought Subaru discontinued the sodium filled valves. I told him that regardless of whether the new style of OEM valves were sodium filled, I didn't want to pinch pennies on the exhaust valves and would sleep alot better knowing that what was installed was equal (or better) quality to OEM.

Now the question is:

OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, Inconel? Any other suggestions?

I ran Inconel exh valves in my Evo (also sodium filled stock). No problems with them, but sold the car before really testing the longevity.

I work in the aerospace manufacturing industry and MANY components used in the hot section of jet engines are made out of Inconel. I don't know specifically about Inconel valves, but if the material is good enough for jet engines (2000°+) I can't imagine why it wouldn't be great for cars.

Ordered some std size Supertech Inconel exhaust valves (part #SEVI-1010). Once they come in, I'll take the heads back to the shop, get them installed and adjusted.

Should have some time this weekend to clean stuff I'm keeping. And put together accurate lists of everything I still need before I can finish (ARP head studs, turbo inlet, t-stat, water lines, oil lines, fuel lines, ex cam gears, oil pan bolts....and more). I'm way over budget (ha! no sheet!)...I'm not sure I really had one to begin with. But I'm over what I thought I'd spend. Once it's on the road, I'll post up my build sheet w/ actual costs, specs and part numbers.

Great List. It will be useful for future builders to review.

A couple of items to consider adding to the list:

Cobb Access Port v3

Turn In Concepts FU Cam Bolts. http://turninconcepts.com/engine/tic-fu-cam-bolt-kit-single-avcs.html

Cobb or Grimmspeed BCS

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks and thank you for the suggestions. I was already planning the fu bolts, just haven't made it to the list yet. I will be self tuning with romraider/ecuflash. As far as BCS, I'm going to run wastegate pressure for a little while, so no rush at the moment. I was planning to get an Ingersoll Rand solenoid, same as perrin.

I was planning to get an Ingersoll Rand solenoid, same as perrin.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171388

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thank you. The IR solenoid is the same as the ARO you posted. It's also the same as the Perrin. I used one on my Evo with no resistor and worked great. I only paid $30 for it back then, but looks like the IR version has gone up in price since. Good to know there are other names for it.

Archived