LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT wagon 5EAT Engine Rebuild

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So its normal to see the o rings on the stick? I can see just barely the top one.

My dip sticks only have one o ring, and no, I can't see them when the stick is in the tube.

Just to double check, the turbo oil line bolt is the one with the tiny hole in it?

Yes, that's the orifice that allows the right amount of oil to the bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Motor is about to be dropped in the car. I dont think this will be very easy to do. Is there a trick the the torque converter? I lined up the notches and pushed it in, I think it is on there correctly? The starter lines up with the flywheel but are you supposed to be able to spin it?

Not sure how 5eat's work but think it through...You start the car in park, the TC spins at engine rpm, so if the engine is not running the TC won't spin. Pull the inspection plug, mark the ring gear, rotate the crank with a socket, see if the TC moves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not sure how 5eat's work but think it through...You start the car in park, the TC spins at engine rpm, so if the engine is not running the TC won't spin. Pull the inspection plug, mark the ring gear, rotate the crank with a socket, see if the TC moves.

Yeah, I am thinking that it wont spin once it is mated to the engine and in line with the crank? Also How close do I have to be to mate the trans with the engine??? I got this far over the weekend and had to stop to do other things. I did make a lot of progress tho and got the front suspension sorted out with new knuckles and half shafts.

IMAG0283.jpg.75e4304b0181b54f53e84da30e961b81.jpg

Your there, as you tighten the bolts and nuts just bring them down equally and try and wiggle the tranny a bit as your pulling it in.

Your there, as you tighten the bolts and nuts just bring them down equally and try and wiggle the tranny a bit as your pulling it in.

I have one bolt in per side right now. We have tried wiggling it around to get them to seal. Will take more pics when I return to the shop, just got in a 12 hour frenzy of finishing the motor and the front suspension. Also whats the best way to put the bolt that connects to the pitch mount on top of the trans?

The pitch mount bolt should be no problem once the tranny is matted to the block and the cross members are bolted to the bottom of the tranny and frame.

Do the pitch mount after the tranny is completely in. Don't forget about that ground wire that goes near the pitch mount.

The pitch mount bolt should be no problem once the tranny is matted to the block and the cross members are bolted to the bottom of the tranny and frame.

Do the pitch mount after the tranny is completely in. Don't forget about that ground wire that goes near the pitch mount.

Unbolting the cross member might have helped move the trans when trying to mate it... :lol: Also for the life of me I cant figure out how to heat shield bracket goes on? :confused:

Which heat shield ? The one at the turbo top bolts for the DP ?

My wagon has not had the big one under the car since June 2011.

Which heat shield ? The one at the turbo top bolts for the DP ?

My wagon has not had the big one under the car since June 2011.

Yes sir, for some reason I have this metal bracket that I labeled for the heat shield. I know the aftermarket ones use less bolts and nuts than the oem one. I have the Grimmspeed one just not sure about the bracket. :spin:

Yes sir, for some reason I have this metal bracket that I labeled for the heat shield. I know the aftermarket ones use less bolts and nuts than the oem one. I have the Grimmspeed one just not sure about the bracket. :spin:

If you're talking about an aftermarket Grimmspeed turbo heatshield, it mounts up to a bracket on the top of the turbo, and one of the turbo brackets that mount to the block. I had that same piece left over when I changed my up-pipe and turbo last year (I think were talking about the same piece, post a picture!), and didn't have to reuse it. I spent a solid hour and a half trying to figure out where the hell it went before it all clicked... :redface:

Also, did you get a turbo blanket? The afermarket heatshields, well... suck. The only good thing about them is they work with an aftermarket down-pipe and they look real nice :) I would wrap the turbo in a turbo blanket before installing the heat shield. It'll help out a ton with under hood temps.

Just lay the stock heat shield and the Grimmspeed one side by side, you'll see how much more coverage the OEM one has.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

If you're talking about an aftermarket Grimmspeed turbo heatshield, it mounts up to a bracket on the top of the turbo, and one of the turbo brackets that mount to the block. I had that same piece left over when I changed my up-pipe and turbo last year (I think were talking about the same piece, post a picture!), and didn't have to reuse it. I spent a solid hour and a half trying to figure out where the hell it went before it all clicked... :redface:

Also, did you get a turbo blanket? The afermarket heatshields, well... suck. The only good thing about them is they work with an aftermarket down-pipe and they look real nice :) I would wrap the turbo in a turbo blanket before installing the heat shield. It'll help out a ton with under hood temps.

Just lay the stock heat shield and the Grimmspeed one side by side, you'll see how much more coverage the OEM one has.

I did not get a turbo blanket? Are they really worth the investment? Also Awesome on the heatshield, it was driving me insane figuring out how the bracket went back on. lol Should get the car started the weekend after changing all the fluids. :rolleyes:

I was able to cut my oem Turbo heat shield and put it over my BNR18G with a bit of work. Adds to the sleeper look.

I did not get a turbo blanket? Are they really worth the investment? Also Awesome on the heatshield, it was driving me insane figuring out how the bracket went back on. lol Should get the car started the weekend after changing all the fluids. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it makes a difference in under good temps. Just think, you have. 10lb chunk of metal with 1100° gas running through it sitting directly below the TMIC. It's gonna make some heat!

I was able to cut my oem Turbo heat shield and put it over my BNR18G with a bit of work. Adds to the sleeper look.

^ultimate sleeperness, awesome! Not to mention you probably have a more effective heat shield than all of us who blew money on the aftermarket stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Well time for an update. So got the motor mated up with the trans after about an hour of wiggling around:spin::redface:. After that we put the torque convertor bolts in, radiator in, belts on, all the wiring sorted and then came something that took forever. I bought Mishimoto's new tmic bc its looks like stock and works with the factory hood induction. Well this pita took nearly three hours to get lined up with the throttle body hose and the turbo. :mad::mad::mad:

Going to upload my custom limp tune I ran into an issue, the tune was a faded blue on my V3 and I couldnt selected it?:spin::spin: Then we cranked the motor with the injectors unplugs to get some oil moving, then found out the rail towards the drivers side had a leak.. nice to see my new fuel pump is working.

Archived