LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT wagon 5EAT Engine Rebuild

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I just did my first power pull for David at Cryo, and I ran into an issue. Apparently I am overboosting and I am not sure what this issue is. I did just install a Grimmspeed EBC, but I followed their video to a T. Perhaps its a wastegate issue? This is a brand new VF52 turbo tho...

Is it a stock wastegate actuator? An over posting situation just means exhaust gasses aren't being allowed to bypass the hot side of the turbo. I would try and physically cycle it with the car off (and cold, obviously) to make sure it's not hitting anything(like a divorced wastegate downpipe splitter) or sticking. Then I would triple check my EBCS plumbing. Next, I would test the functionality of the EBCS. And of course make sure Dave knows you have an EBCS so he can change the wastegate duty cycle tables.

The VF52 is known to creep, but over posting is a whole mother thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Is it a stock wastegate actuator? An over posting situation just means exhaust gasses aren't being allowed to bypass the hot side of the turbo. I would try and physically cycle it with the car off (and cold, obviously) to make sure it's not hitting anything(like a divorced wastegate downpipe splitter) or sticking. Then I would triple check my EBCS plumbing. Next, I would test the functionality of the EBCS. And of course make sure Dave knows you have an EBCS so he can change the wastegate duty cycle tables.

The VF52 is known to creep, but over posting is a whole mother thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, yes it is the stock actuator. Would you mind explaining how you would cycle it? I thought about double checking the EBC plumbing myself. Someone did mention to me that wrx's have a brass re stricter pill that goes in the vacuum line to the intercooler, could that be the issue? Dave has been notified that I changed the Grimmspeed EBC, I asked him prior to installing it. Here is the datalog of the pull.

datalog11.csv

Look at your wastegate duty cycle in the logs. It goes down to zero when you're overboosting. It should probably be in the 40-60% range if you're on the stock BCS, depending on turbo. I bet that's your problem.

Looks like a custome tune, who did it?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Look at your wastegate duty cycle in the logs. It goes down to zero when you're overboosting. It should probably be in the 40-60% range if you're on the stock BCS, depending on turbo. I bet that's your problem.

Looks like a custome tune, who did it?

David from Cryotune, we are still on the tuning process. What would you recommend that I do? The turbo is a VF52.

I highly doubt Dave would make a mistake.

I also had my thoughts wrong, 0% wastegate duty cycle means you should be running on wastegate boost pressure (8-11psi). You don't still have the restrictor pill in there, do you? The EBCS elimintaes that, I believe. Mine was one line to compressor, one line to wastegate, and one line to manifold.

I highly doubt Dave would make a mistake.

I also had my thoughts wrong, 0% wastegate duty cycle means you should be running on wastegate boost pressure (8-11psi). You don't still have the restrictor pill in there, do you? The EBCS elimintaes that, I believe. Mine was one line to compressor, one line to wastegate, and one line to manifold.

No I dont have the pill in there. I ran all new vacuum lines from the ebc. I will just check my plumbing to see if I made an error. David is great to work with by the way.

This is the video I followed for installation.

If you followed the video properly, you should be just fine with the EBCS plumbing. I would try to cycle the wastegate and see if it actually moves. To do that, remove the TMIC and turbo heatshield first. The wastegate actuator is the cylindrical piece with a rod coming out of it that hangs off of the passenger side of the turbo. It should be connected to an arm that runs into the hot side housing, that's the wastegate flapper arm. Grab that rod and see if it cycles, it'll take come force, but it should move.

Ideally, you would just drop the downpipe and connect a low pressure source to the wastage actuator line, the flapper should open up around 8-11 psi depending on what turbo you have.

If you followed the video properly, you should be just fine with the EBCS plumbing. I would try to cycle the wastegate and see if it actually moves. To do that, remove the TMIC and turbo heatshield first. The wastegate actuator is the cylindrical piece with a rod coming out of it that hangs off of the passenger side of the turbo. It should be connected to an arm that runs into the hot side housing, that's the wastegate flapper arm. Grab that rod and see if it cycles, it'll take come force, but it should move.

Ideally, you would just drop the downpipe and connect a low pressure source to the wastage actuator line, the flapper should open up around 8-11 psi depending on what turbo you have.

Thanks, I will give that a try soon and report what I find.

I stopped by the shop real quick and gave it a look. I noticed that the vacuum line reducer that I had moved to be connected to the turbo inlet had an oval shape rather than a circular shape? Maybe this could be the issue?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
www.AZPinstalls.com Mike or Rey will be able to help you out. They have a track car so its not like they haven't been there, done that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived