LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT wagon 5EAT Engine Rebuild

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is an interesting idea. Would have never thought of that. I saw on an episode on Mighty Car Mods that all your need to do is remove the glove compartment to get to the filter. Is it really that easy?

Depends on the model year. 05's suck, Subaru fixed that on later years, a couple screws and its out.

05's you start at the center consul and work your way to it. There is a retro fit kit. But I never bought it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends on the model year. 05's suck, Subaru fixed that on later years, a couple screws and its out.

05's you start at the center consul and work your way to it. There is a retro fit kit. But I never bought it.

I believe theirs was an 03 but the same model. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the center console off. Oh well I will give it a go this winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Status update, well everything is buttoned up for the most part. Few issues tho, one my temp gauge on my dash is right below the red after a short drive, two I still have an exhaust leak after putting on grimmspeed gasket, and three car is kinda slow to respond with throttle. Maybe that is due to the tune not being complete?

I assume you don't have air in the coolant system ?

Jack up the right front corner of the car, remove the cap from the turbo coolant tank and start the car, watch for bubbles as you squeeze the top hose, open the heater too to high too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I assume you don't have air in the coolant system ?

Jack up the right front corner of the car, remove the cap from the turbo coolant tank and start the car, watch for bubbles as you squeeze the top hose, open the heater too to high too.

I will try that, for some reason tho I still think that the thermostat is not opening. I might get a new oem one just to try it and see.

Does anyone have Invidia's Q300 catback exhaust on there car? I am thinking this would help with the exhaust leak where the downpipe and midpipe meet at. Also I think the quad tip would look sexy! I have read that long hangers were recommend with this cat back. Any thoughts?

Next time I'll use these.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Cable-Grounding-Straps-Cables-Phillips-Industries/_/R-PHI9151_0008248539

We use them at work as the ground wire for a 480 volt transformer on a product we build for the US Navy.

• 2 weeks later...
After installing the new thermostat and burping the system my subaru is where is should be cooling wise. Now a new issue has arisen, I know right shocker! After a quick drive down the road I ran into an issue in which I got a check engine light, ABS light, and my cruise light flashing. After checking my AP for what the code is it read P0500 Speed Sensor. Also I am getting this terrible grind noise up from like the brake area when the car is in motion. Would the faulty speed sensor cause this to happen?

I know there is an expensive computer that repair shops have that will tell you as you drive the car. I can borrow one...but that wouldn't help you.

See if a local repair shop will plug it in and drive the car and tell you which one. It may cost a few $$.

I know there is an expensive computer that repair shops have that will tell you as you drive the car. I can borrow one...but that wouldn't help you.

See if a local repair shop will plug it in and drive the car and tell you which one. It may cost a few $$.

I read somewhere that you can plug the doagnostic green cables together and it will give you a code as to which sensor it is.

Thanks a ton! I will have to try that in the morning. Today I took the wheels off to see if I could determine what was making that loud spueaking noise. On the passenger side that dust shield behind the rotor was pressed against the rotor. Could this have been the issue? The shield grinding against the rotor and causing the wheel to slow down tripping the speed sensor? Everything else looked okay.

Have any idea have to fix it? I talk to David from Cryotuning, as he will be doing the final tune on my car. He said that it could be the sensor or the connection itself. I think I have an idea where this sensor is on the motor. After I get my new speed sensor in I will take the car out and see if I get the check engine light again and deal with the sensor. Hopefully I wont have to buy a new sensor.

On the oppossedforces web site in the sticky at the top of the very first forum you can find all the pieces and parts you ever want to know about.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any tips for how to fix an exhaust leak where the downpipe and cat back meet? It seems to be at the lower end of the connection. I have installed a new donut with a grimmspeed gasket to try and fix it. I am going to take a wire brush to the old catback to see if that helps the seal. I really do not want to go to an exhaust shop as I dont want them messing up my new Cobb downpipe.

Can you try bolting them together before putting the hanger bolt in. I'm not remembering the exact assembly, but I assume the cobb isn't meeting the exhaust pipe square. Otherwise a thicker more compliant homemade gasket.

Archived