LegacyGT.com

Weak/Bad design windshield?

Here in NJ the Subaru dealer charges $675, that's without tax, to replace the windshield and the surrounding moldings. It might be worth it to go through your insurance. I'd much rather pay $500 than close to $800.

What dealer do you use? I am in NJ and I dont trust my delaers in my area (Ocean County) to perform work. (On shop dropped my buddies STI off of a lift) other place that I bought the car from had an irate customer in it because they added motor to the oil and drained the trans. LMAO not cool

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No dealer actually does the windshield work themselves. They all sub it out to a local glass shop. My dealer quote was the cheapest I got, Cherry Hill Subaru, and I got a loaner car too. Was worth it for me not to have to waste my own time getting it replaced.

if some one can do impact analysis on this windshield we can collect all our money back from manufacturer....it seems some thing is wrong....i lost mine less than 5000 Miles and thanks to my zero deductible insurance they replaced it for cost of CAD 890...but i want to know why we have so much complain on windshield. I drove toyota for years and never had an issue..i still have 2014 RAv4 and so many stones hits windshield yet not a single crack or chip.

• 2 months later...

Quite interesting. Today I got a letter from Subaru explaining chemicals used in the deicer area weaken the windshield and make it more prone to crack. This is exactly where the crack in my windshield originated.

Has anyone seen this and had luck getting reimbursed?

I didn't take closeup pictures from the outside to prove this. I wonder if I'll have to fight this again and eventually be told they take no responsibility for the damage...

• 2 weeks later...
There is a technical service bulletin 12-192-15R that addresses this. I wrote to Subaru and asked whether my car was affected. Although there is a maximum VIN in the bulletin that indicates the cars that are affected, I don't know what it is (and the person from Subaru didn't say anything). If anyone has access to that publication, I'd be curious to see the VIN (so I can have something else to worry about, I suppose).

• 3 months later...
I stopped by my dealership to have them look at mine, that started in the de-icer area, and has a small divot like it possibly got hit by a rock and quickly spread up and across the windshield. Dealer says it was caused by a rock and not covered. I've called Subaru customer service and explained it very well; they are going to call the dealer and get back with me Monday. I've seen others on here that were replaced that showed a picture that looks much worse than the small spot on mine where it started. Crossing my fingers!

The replacement OEM windshield took couple of major hits on my car and it did not even chip.....

So it looks like new design is much better than what the car came with. 10K miles on the new windshield and no cracks. The original one cracked in 2 places before I hit 2K miles.

My dealership called me about 3 hours after calling SOA, the Service Mgr asked me to bring the car back in for him to look at the crack. As soon as he saw it, he asked who looked at it, I told him both service writers. He said that it was definitely covered by this warranty and they will get it taken care of. One of the service writers made the comment, "I guess we read the TSB wrong". I hope anyone else that has this issue doesn't take the first "no" lightly if you truly feel it should be covered by this warranty.

I've been VERY lucky so far... I got a rock chip on the passenger side of my windshield (happened about a month after I picked up my car last July) and even through the winter it hasn't formed a crack YET. Thankfully I do have the glass insurance on my Legacy, but have been very fortunate not to have to get the replacement.

When I was in for the service about a month ago, the service manager asked me to keep an eye on it, and was honestly surprised when I told him how long ago it had happened! He said as soon as it cracks to call him up and he will get the new one in as quickly as possible.

Glad to join the discussion. Bought mine more than four months ago and have a little more than 3K miles. Late morning yesterday while travelling less than 30 mph, I heard a faint strange pop and it wasn't until a few minutes later that I noticed an r-shaped crack in the bottom middle section of the windshield. I took it to the neareast Subaru dealer and the service lady who looked at it said it was caused by a chip which I highly doubt. On second thought, the noise I heard earlier sounded more like glass crackling . First time this ever happened to me in my almost fifty years of driving. One thing I"m certain at the time it happened was that there were no immediate vehicles near or in front of me. The service lady gave me the business card of a third-party provider they use to replace windshieds. When I called, the owner said he'll call me back on Monday to let me know if it's in stock and will give me a more firm quote from his estimate of $540. Does it even make sense to call SOA?

Mine cracked at 18 months / 23k miles.

Does it start near the windshield wiper deicers? That's a good sign that it should be covered. Someone posted the letter on here that SoA sent out. It should describe the conditions.

That's where mine started. I didn't have much luck on the phone with my dealership so I drove it there and the lady looked at it and took pictures. She said she would send it to SoA and a few days later she called and said it would be covered.

Mine just got replaced Thursday. We'll see how long this one lasts.

Glad to join the discussion. Bought mine more than four months ago and have a little more than 3K miles. Late morning yesterday while travelling less than 30 mph, I heard a faint strange pop and it wasn't until a few minutes later that I noticed an r-shaped crack in the bottom middle section of the windshield. I took it to the neareast Subaru dealer and the service lady who looked at it said it was caused by a chip which I highly doubt. On second thought, the noise I heard earlier sounded more like glass crackling . First time this ever happened to me in my almost fifty years of driving. One thing I"m certain at the time it happened was that there were no immediate vehicles near or in front of me. The service lady gave me the business card of a third-party provider they use to replace windshieds. When I called, the owner said he'll call me back on Monday to let me know if it's in stock and will give me a more firm quote from his estimate of $540. Does it even make sense to call SOA?

YES, call SOA and let them know what happened with your windshield, where the crack started and they will get your dealership information and give the service manager a call to bring your car in. If the crack started in the deicer area at the bottom, it will be covered by the service bulletin. You can probably also just print the file for the TSB info and take it to the service manager before calling SOA if you want.

Went to another dealer today and the service manager there also is convinced the crack was caused by a chip. It gets worse (longer) especially when I leave the car out in AZ's blistering sun. Found someone who can replace it this afternoon. Had to decide whether to go with OEM for $700 or an aftermarket at $387. Went with the aftermarket and at the same time replaced my insurance with a carrier with free glass coverage and for less money to boot.

Should've taken 5 minutes to call SOA, the Technical Service Bulletin covers the crack from a rock hit if it's in the bottom de-icer area. Like I said, I had 2 service writers say it was caused by a rock...WHICH IS COVERED! I don't think the service depts are reading the TSB, print the memo out which is in these forums, and JUST CALL if anyone else has this issue!

Did call SoA twice, thrice including the one time when I had to hang up after more than 15 mins on the queue. Last time I spoke to them, they promised to call me back but they seem to be taking a long time to decide which is why I went ahead with the replacement. Did show the TSB to the second dealer I saw but he read it differently. Will continue to pursue. Thanks for the heads up!