LegacyGT.com

Weak/Bad design windshield?

Did call SoA twice, thrice including the one time when I had to hang up after more than 15 mins on the queue. Last time I spoke to them, they promised to call me back but they seem to be taking a long time to decide which is why I went ahead with the replacement. Did show the TSB to the second dealer I saw but he read it differently. Will continue to pursue. Thanks for the heads up!

Wow, that's crazy. I wasn't on hold for more than a few minutes and our conversation lasted about 5. The memo sent out talking about the TSB clearly states in the second sentence I think it was, that a small stone can cause the crack and will be covered. I would continue and try to get SOA to cover the costs since the dealers failed, as they usually do with this from what I'm seeing on here and other forums. Wish you the best!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was quite an unfortunate read.

I bought a 2015 Impreza Sport Limited last year. It was the first car I had a cracked windshield on. A rock came up from a semi and hit it me on the highway (65-70mph). Happened plenty of times before on other cars.

I was so upset about it. A brand new car, now with a chipped/cracked windshield. I had SLR come out and clean it up.

Seems the weak windshield is a trend for Subaru? Out of all the cars I have owned (never a Subaru), not once have I had a rock chip/crack the windshield.

The TSB summary (which is all I can read online) states that the TSB only applies to some VINs. It's possible that the TSB does not apply to vehicles built in the last few months. Still worth pursuing, but people shouldn't presume that a TSB that applied to their car also applies to someone else's car.

Received email below from SoA an hour ago:

Good Morning BJ,

I have received the information from you in regards to the inspection of your windshield. I understand that the retailer advised that it is not covered under any type of warranty and your vehicle does not pertain to the tsb.

If you would be kind enough to get an estimate for the replacement of the windshield I will review for a possible one-time goodwill assistance. You can submit the estimate by attaching to this email.[end]

No doubt this is appreciated but it would be equally nice to know what they are doing about the apparent problem and share whatever findings they might have. Is it the glass, glue, design or something else that is the cause? Since replacement are done mostly by third-party service providers, it would be helpful if SoA steps up and give owners some advice or tips to ensure proper replacement and assurances that those with eyesight don't need calibration.

In my case, it was difficult to choose an aftermarket (Pilkington) over OEM (Carlex) but without any hard facts I didn't have much to rely on except my own experience and confidence level with the OEM.

Subaru is offering to cover a repair that they have no obligation whatsoever to cover, and that doesn't count as stepping up? In any case, Subaru DOES provide a way to ensure that your windshield is properly replaced, namely via the dealership.

After two dealers and the installer said I don't need to have the eyesight recalibrated after replacing the cracked winshield, SoA now tells them they need to have the eyesight recalibrated. That is stepping up. When they have finally approved a reimbursement, I would agree that would be called stepping up too, but ony then.

After two dealers and the installer said I don't need to have the eyesight recalibrated after replacing the cracked winshield, SoA now tells them they need to have the eyesight recalibrated. That is stepping up. When they have finally approved a reimbursement, I would agree that would be called stepping up too, but ony then.

You shouldn't be using an aftermarket windshield if you have the EyeSight system...

You shouldn't be using an aftermarket windshield if you have the EyeSight system...

ummm why not? There are aftermarket replacements for everything. Obviously the windshield on Eyesight models is different than non-Eyesight models, but that doesn't preclude you from using an aftermarket windshield if the specs are correct.

ummm why not? There are aftermarket replacements for everything. Obviously the windshield on Eyesight models is different than non-Eyesight models, but that doesn't preclude you from using an aftermarket windshield if the specs are correct.

If one heavily relies on EyeSight or uses it as a significant clutch, why take the risk or chance that an aftermarket windshield might not be specifically designed (either glass, curvature, composition, etc) with the stereo cameras?

And how does one know it meets specs? By asking the aftermarket manufacturer, who is specifically listing it as compatible with EyeSight? Of course they will say it's the same specs, but would they know what they are?

IMO, I don't think it might be worth it to shave $100-$200 for something that might interfere with EyeSight, either relying on the system to stop for you or the glass causing false positives and braking.

The TSB summary (which is all I can read online) states that the TSB only applies to some VINs. It's possible that the TSB does not apply to vehicles built in the last few months. Still worth pursuing, but people shouldn't presume that a TSB that applied to their car also applies to someone else's car.

This!

It only covers early 2015s up to November or Dec 2014 production cars. According to the letter, it is all caused I due to manufacturing defect.

One would assume that defect was fixed after.

When mine cracked it was very early on and I got it replaced by my insurance company before the TSB was issued. Once the TSB was issued, insurance returned my deductable of $100.

How does one know if the manufacture who claims his windshield meets Subaru's specs is correct?

So let me get this straight... Whenever you fix anything on your car, you go through the trouble of making sure your replacement parts are up to spec?

If one heavily relies on EyeSight or uses it as a significant clutch, why take the risk or chance that an aftermarket windshield might not be specifically designed (either glass, curvature, composition, etc) with the stereo cameras?

And how does one know it meets specs? By asking the aftermarket manufacturer, who is specifically listing it as compatible with EyeSight? Of course they will say it's the same specs, but would they know what they are?

IMO, I don't think it might be worth it to shave $100-$200 for something that might interfere with EyeSight, either relying on the system to stop for you or the glass causing false positives and braking.

That would be fraud. Just an FYI.

The logic here is astonishing me. I had a windshield replaced last week and used Eyesight for adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist for a good 2 hours.

What you people are saying is ridiculous and is a double standard.

So let me get this straight... Whenever you fix anything on your car, you go through the trouble of making sure your replacement parts are up to spec?

That would be fraud. Just an FYI.

The logic here is astonishing me. I had a windshield replaced last week and used Eyesight for adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist for a good 2 hours.

What you people are saying is ridiculous and is a double standard.

EyeSight is new technology, very high-tech technology. Very few other manufacturers make camera based driver assist systems. EyeSight has special requirements for the windshield. Subarus with EyeSight get a different windshield from non-EyeSight Subarus.

Subaru does not bless non-Subaru windshields to be used with EyeSight. If you read your manual, you'll see that for most replacement parts, it "recommends" you use Subaru brand parts, or "advises against" using non-Subaru parts.

For windshield replacement on EyeSight models, it unambiguously states, "Do not install a front windshield other than a genuine SUBARU front windshield. The stereo cameras may not be able to detect objects accurately and the EyeSight system may not operate properly."

I would highly doubt that the problems that might be caused by using a non-spec windshield would render ACC and LKA totally unusable. More likely it would affect thresholds.

If you put non-spec brakes in you car, you might well be able to drive for two hours and stop successfully. That doesn't mean you haven't added 10% to your stopping distance. To then go on a public web site and announce that your non-spec brakes are safe based on such a faulty evaluation methodology would be rather irresponsible, I think.

I wonder what the difference is with the "special" ES windscreen. Were I a gambling man I'd put money on that it's simply a different dot pattern tint at the top, one laid out in such a way as to not obstruct the cameras. I highly doubt there's any voodoo special unobtanium glass Subaru uses to make the windscreen.

I fully admit I could be wrong wrong wrong.

If I had to replace my OEM windshield (ES equipped or not), I would go the aftermarket route as long as it didn't void any part of the warranty or GTP. Usually with the aftermarket big boys, you'll get similar if not the same quality for a fraction of the price of an OEM one.

If I had to replace my OEM windshield (ES equipped or not), I would go the aftermarket route as long as it didn't void any part of the warranty or GTP. Usually with the aftermarket big boys, you'll get similar if not the same quality for a fraction of the price of an OEM one.

This is true. One must be careful as to the quality of the AM windscreen though. I've seen aftermarket replacements that have a wave or distortion in the glass that can have a sort of fun house mirror effect but without the mirror and usually is around the edges or corners.

I used an AM windscreen in my Toyota and it was fine, nearly identical to the OEM but for the blue at the top, it was a little more narrow and a slightly different color blue. No distortion. This distortion that is sometimes seen may be the reason Subaru doesn't want AM used on ES vehicles.

The windscreen alone was $800 for OEM but the entire replacement job was just under $500 using AM.

Edited by hkshooter

I wonder what the difference is with the "special" ES windscreen. Were I a gambling man I'd put money on that it's simply a different dot pattern tint at the top, one laid out in such a way as to not obstruct the cameras. I highly doubt there's any voodoo special unobtanium glass Subaru uses to make the windscreen.

I fully admit I could be wrong wrong wrong.

I doubt that this is the reason.

Glass bends light as light passes through it. The EyeSight camera sees the bent light, yet must be able to compute the actual location of object outside the car. This can only be done if the system "understands" the optics of the windshield. The optics are affected by the bend(s), thickness (and variations thereof) and material(s) of the windshield. (Think about how the same applies to the lenses in eyeglasses.)

Also, EyeSight ignores the dotted area near the mirror.

Of course, you still might be right, I don't really know for certain.

• 4 months later...
Well ive had two broken windshields in the last couple months. one cracked up from the lower driver side and the brand new windshield took a stone to the very edge of the window on drivers side. I am pretty annoyed at the lack of strength on this windshield. driving 20+ years and never broke one till this car. Dealer fixed first one under warranty and i need to take it in to see about second one.

Weak windshields, for sure. Our 2014 Crosstrek has seen highway 80% of it's life (23k mi) and no issues with the windshield. My 2015 Legacy saw ONE road trip and had 3 good sized chips. Had them filled before they split. Very thin glass up front.

I've had mine replaced at 30k because of the pitting from highway driving. It had just as much pitting as my old 97 grand prix with 200k miles on it. Everyone claims that all window glass is created to the same standard but I find it hard to believe after having my 2015 legacy.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I've had mine replaced at 30k because of the pitting from highway driving. It had just as much pitting as my old 97 grand prix with 200k miles on it. Everyone claims that all window glass is created to the same standard but I find it hard to believe after having my 2015 legacy.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Warrantied or out of pocket? We recently did a trip to Myrtle Beach and I have a sizeable chip in my windshield. No cracking or anything. Wanted to see if it was worth bringing to the dealer or not.