Weak/Bad design windshield?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest rayms69
i have repaired two rocks chips almost as soon as they were made, best policy with any windshield. I never got a rock chip crack in any car until i moved to idaho. We are the rock chip capital, thanks to this thread i am even more diligent. Both rock chips would have cracked all the way for sure. The local glass shop waves my deductible every time i have had a windshield replaced($100 deductible). One of the chips they covered, i repaired the other one. My Q7s windshield was $1400 and i paid not a dime. I think the windshield is just like any other, just a lower target.

I see some things never change.

It won't be long before you guys are making posts about the quality of Subaru paint jobs.

====

I can only hope you are joking about the Paint Job.

Windshields cracking for no apparent reason are a REAL issue for me. I have had cracks in the past when the glass was impacted - that makes sense. But a car with less than 1000 miles on it mysteriously developing a windshield crack with no evidence whatsoever of any impact is not acceptable.

The dealer was on it immediately and replaced it at no charge and I appreciate that.

I wonder if there’s some connection between the front corner window wind noise issue (reportedly affecting 2015 Legacys built before 10/10/14) and this windshield cracking problem. Perhaps something about the installation technique and/or materials? It’d be interesting to know the build dates of Legacys with windshield issues; pre-10/10/14? Might be worth input from the posters here, just to see if there’s a trend building up (however small the database right now).

Guest rayms69
paint needs to be taken care of if its going to stay looking good, get the clear cover installed, im sure that will prevent lots of damage. I thought you were doing that TTG? It looks easy, just more money and my insurance covers repairs. The info is in one of the threads on the original 15 Legacy with a cracked windshield. If i had plenty of extra money, no doubt i would get it and DIM

paint needs to be taken care of if its going to stay looking good, get the clear cover installed, im sure that will prevent lots of damage. I thought you were doing that TTG? It looks easy, just more money and my insurance covers repairs. The info is in one of the threads on the original 15 Legacy with a cracked windshield. If i had plenty of extra money, no doubt i would get it and DIM

Yes, the front of my car is all wrapped with Xpel.

I was going to get clearplex for the windshield and decided against it once I was quoted $500 for it. I would rather keep changing the windshield than paying for clearplex which also needs to be replaced every so often.

Guest rayms69
$$ is what i was thinkin too, them walmart repair kits work good, gotta drill them out a little to release the air from the spot then ur golden. I put a piece of scotch tape on the outside of the windshield to keep moisture out until i can get it fixed.

Has anyone cracked their windshield on their new legacy? I'm not sure how it happened. After inspecting the glass, I don't see any rock marks or any impact point. I'm taking it to the dealer to see what they can do about replacing it. I'm just curious to see if anyone had the same issue.

Any update to this situation, diesel4982? I have the exact same windshield issue with less than 300 miles. 1st dealer (Hudson Subaru) said SOA won't cover glass and said to talk with SOA...I also am in NJ and wondered if there was a better dealer I should try to talk with to handle the claim. SOA said talk to a dealer...feeling trapped in a circular reference. Thanks in advance for any info.

Geez, I hope mine doesn't crack. My insurance company will pay for a new one no charge but they will not replace my tint strip at the top(which is crap).

My wife just got her first rock chip on her 2015 Forester. It has eyesight and heater element. That is a $700+ winshield...ouch. Free glass coverage ;)

BTW, do most of you know that side mirrors, headlights and taillights are usually covered under glass coverage? Ask your insurer about it. Just don't do too many claims.

Not joking. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, look into paint protection.

nah, the cost to paint a bumper if it happens to become covered in rock chips would be the same as the initial cost of protection... I mean, it's a Subaru not a Vette... people buying a used car expect that type of paint imperfection.

Edited by Subisnob
added quote

FYI - I keep my cars at least 10 years/100,000 miles. Are you saying the paint on Subaru's ages faster than other vehicles? I expect to incur normal small pock marks from sand, small rocks, etc. as a matter of just driving around.

Guest rayms69
I treated my little civic like it was a classic mustang(not a vette), i still take care of my cars, my two repairs on the winshield are holding strong. I try to keep from having to replace the windshield as long as i can

FYI - I keep my cars at least 10 years/100,000 miles. Are you saying the paint on Subaru's ages faster than other vehicles? I expect to incur normal small pock marks from sand, small rocks, etc. as a matter of just driving around.

I would not call Subaru's paint bad or low quality. If you take care of it, it will hold up.

However, if I were to keep my cars as long as you do, I would definitely invest in a clear-bra. I get all of my cars wrapped right away since I can not stand rockchips.......and I lease.....my car will be gone once 3 years is up.

I wonder if there’s some connection between the front corner window wind noise issue (reportedly affecting 2015 Legacys built before 10/10/14) and this windshield cracking problem. Perhaps something about the installation technique and/or materials? It’d be interesting to know the build dates of Legacys with windshield issues; pre-10/10/14? Might be worth input from the posters here, just to see if there’s a trend building up (however small the database right now).

We purchased our brand new Legacy in Feb 2015. It mysteriously developed a crack in the lower right corner of the windshield a week later with less than 1000 miles on the car. Mfr date was December 2014.

No wind noise problem with our vehicle before or after the windshield was replaced.

Hey, I also purchased from Hudson Subaru...it's a crap shoot going there, but it's a formality that you have to go through. I got a negative response from the dealer, but they did take pictures and sent it to SOA. I also got a negative response from SOA based on the information given to them by Hudson Subaru. If you are going to replace the glass through Subaru, don't purchase it from Hudson. They charge approximately $700, whereas other dealerships in the area charge significantly less. PM me if you'd like.

Any update to this situation, diesel4982? I have the exact same windshield issue with less than 300 miles. 1st dealer (Hudson Subaru) said SOA won't cover glass and said to talk with SOA...I also am in NJ and wondered if there was a better dealer I should try to talk with to handle the claim. SOA said talk to a dealer...feeling trapped in a circular reference. Thanks in advance for any info.

• 1 month later...

Add me to the new car/cracked windshield club.

I'm new to Subaru and new to cracked windshields. I heard something hit the car. Didn't see any damage and thought no big deal. Next morning, huge crack running up from the bottom. I had about 1400 miles and owned the car for 4 weeks at that point.

I've been hit by rocks that make noise like that all the time in other cars. Never a cracked windshield. One of my cars did sustain a star in the past, but no crack. No star here though.

i doubt the windshield is any different than any other car, chips and cracks happen to every windshield

VW Passats had a massive amount of windshields cracking in some of their 90's designs due to the curvature of the windshield.

The Subaru windshield very well could be made OR formed a certain way that is prone to cracking. only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what it looks like

It looks like that crack doesn't end at the edge of the windshield but has just appeared in the middle. That's to me a clear indication that it was mounted under tension and even a temperature change is enough for it to crack.

453747.png

• 3 months later...

Hi, I woke up one morning and a crack that hadn't been there the day before had started low in the passenger corner of my 9 month old 2015 Legacy. Over the next several days it grew inches a day. No obvious cause - no rock hit nor star to start it. Same thing happened to a friend's Outback this week. The dealer in Albuquerque said windshields are on back order, and wanted $839 for the replacement and installation. There is a DOT complaint form with many of the same complaints. I still haven't had it replaced, waiting to see if Subaru is going to take some responsibility, since the Internet is filling up with similar accounts.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=2&searchCriteria.model_yr=2015&searchCriteria.make=SUBARU&searchCriteria.model=OUTBACK&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977280

You may be waiting awhile for Subaru to own up.

The flaw likely needs some major publicity around accidents or something before they'll redesign and replace something that costs them as much as windshields. Besides, if their official line is "It's not our problem," insurance companies will swallow a bunch of the costs.

If they quietly redesign the replacement windshield (or modify the installation process?), the problem will eventually go away for them.

Personally, I would do just what I did when it happened to me. Get the thing replaced ASAP--mine was on back order, too and it doesn't matter if you go through a dealer or a glass place; you will have to wait. Meanwhile your crack will grow. You don't want to be unsafe, though. While you are waiting, complain to Subaru of America in Cherry Hill NJ. They were responsive to me when I complained that a dealer working with my glass place ordered the wrong windshield. Where you complain to NTSB or not is up to you. Being silent is not going to speed things up!