104 members have voted

1. 1. My typical oil consumption between oil changes is:

• 2.5i - 1/2 quart or less
    • 2.5i - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 2.5i - over 1 quart
    • 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

Consumer Reports has an article this month about cars that use oil between changes (you can read it via Facebook). It is uncommon but Subaru is one brand where there are some significant numbers. The Legacy/Outback record showed some burn over the years but after 2013 there has been zero reported. It also seems to correlate with head gasket problems. I have a 2006 Legacy that has never needed to have oil added between changes. My 2015 is too new for me to add to the discussion. CR notes that SOA says that a quart consumed every 1000 miles is normal - but it's not. And people have made successful warranty claims if there is oil consumption.

On the topic of measurements the fuel gauge also depends on being level for accuracy. Parking on an uphill slope will give you a "full" reading that stays for quite a while with a less than full tank, even if the car is driven on level ground. This happened with the old and new Legacies.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way would I go that long on any oil! It may retain some

of it's lubrication properties but oil gets dirty with use and TBN declines also. After a while it may lubricate but it can't do the rest of it's job. Have you ever sent a sample to the lab for UOA? I'd be curious.

You're misunderstanding, I'm on my 3rd round of oil with 13k on the odometer (1k, 7k). Due for a 4th soon. I plan on doing 8k between changes with Amsoil, but could probably go to 10 very safely. Still learning the car. Even with Amsoil, I'd never go 13k on a single change.

You're misunderstanding, I'm on my 3rd round of oil with 13k on the odometer (1k, 7k). Due for a 4th soon. I plan on doing 8k between changes with Amsoil, but could probably go to 10 very safely. Still learning the car. Even with Amsoil, I'd never go 13k on a single change.

Even going 10k, I would at least change the filter halfway through.

Oil rated to 25k for normal service and 15k for severe. Filter rated for 15k to match severe. BMW and others have 10-12k OCIs with Mobil1. As I said, I'm going 8k. 10k sounds pretty safe to me.

Do yourself a favor. Send that 10k oil out for analysis.

With a 10k to 25k interval the cost of analysis is negligible.

I'll tell ya, IF you do your own fluid changes, don't ever wait more than 5k.

The assumption is your type of driving and cost analysis.

Is one leasing their car? Then whatever.

Are you financing your car and if so is it something you trade in or keep?

Are you a performance driver who enjoys driving a car and maybe put it through its paces?

Don't think for a second that since it's a Subaru, that recommended service intervals, marketing, finance programs and cost cutting are mutually exclusive.

To each their own. But from personal experience, machines love maintenance.

It's up to,you to determine the cost ratio.

On my 2012 GT, I dont consume a drop of oil if I run Subaru Synth, Penzoil Platinum 5w30, or Belgian Castrol 0w40 a3b4. However, running Shell Rotella T6 0w40 I consumed a whole quart in 3000 mi. Switcched back to Belgian Castrol, not a drop.

Moral: it matters what oil you use. I dont know why, in this case as those are all excellent oils.

Driving style: like I stole it

Subaru says for the 2.5, 0W-20 synthetic every 6000 miles with a new filter.

Use what ever flavor you like, keep all receipts. Or take to your Subaru dealer

for maintenance. Stretching past this may be ok according to the oil manufacturer

but since Subaru is who holds the warranty to your engine, the wise thing to do

is follow their recommendations. After the warranty is expired , do as you see fit!

I do 5K intervals on all my cars. I got six so it is mainly for ease. It's easily divisible even after 100K. For my 3.6 Subaru I did it at 3K and 6.5K and once more at 10K. Then in with my schedule.

Wifey knows to give me a heads up when she is getting close.

I do 5K intervals on all my cars. I got six so it is mainly for ease. It's easily divisible even after 100K. For my 3.6 Subaru I did it at 3K and 6.5K and once more at 10K. Then in with my schedule.

Wifey knows to give me a heads up when she is getting close.

YUP! Same here. Super easy to know that when your coming up on 30k or 45k an oil change is needed. Plus, it's easy to know when your last oil change was for oil adding/checking. If I happen to go over by 1kmi, well, the next oil change will only have 4kmi on it to reset my schedule.

I think we are all getting off track tho from original post. ;)

• 2 months later...

Second oil change, first with a Fumoto valve - I'm sold on those little deals. Didn't spill a drop. not one. No oil on hands, not a bit. Nice.

Anyway - oil consumption is virtually nil so far.

Odometer: 11500 kms (7187 miles)

miles driven between: 4,375

Quarts added between changes: 0

driving style: easy

Full engine operating temp: usually

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 31.5 mpg avg (mostly highway)

For the record: Wix Filter, Castrol Synthetic 0W20

• 2 weeks later...

I need to update, my original vote was for no oil usage, but just last week my low oil light came on so updated status:

Mileage 21,xxx

Oil used: 1QT over last 5500miles

Going to let the dealer know so it's on record just in case it gets worse. First time I've had any issue with oil usage. I drive 90% highway.

41k here and the 3rd change the light came on, 1/2 qt low. I've added 1/2 qt every change since then. 98% of my driving is highway with the cruise on.

So we've got two reports of increased consumption after 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Still, if it stays within a quart between changes, no big deal. It's that one quart per 1200 miles that Subaru reports as "normal" that would cramp my loyalty quotient considerably.

Oil consumption and reliability may not be related, true. Watch out for the Cat converter though!

In my view, oil consumption is a sign of failure and won't typically be fixable under warranty coverage. If it gets excessive, it's annoying and can easily cost an extra $100 a year (eg. 1 quart per 1200 miles).

BTW - according to Consumer Reports, 98% of car owners do not have to add oil between changes.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

(Looks like some BMWs and Audis should include an oil bottle holder instead of a coffee cup holder)

Edited by waldguy

I need to update, my original vote was for no oil usage, but just last week my low oil light came on so updated status:

Mileage 21,xxx

Oil used: 1QT over last 5500miles

Going to let the dealer know so it's on record just in case it gets worse. First time I've had any issue with oil usage. I drive 90% highway.

Funny you mentioned this because I have a

2015 2.5, 18k, highway mostly, lots of short less than a mile trips also.

Use no oil between 5-6K changes,

On my 2014 2.5 38K, same driving conditions as above. At somewhere around 20K I had the oil light come on and was almost 1 qt short. Did the oil change at that point and to this date it uses no oil. :confused:

BTW - according to Consumer Reports, 98% of car owners do not have to add oil between changes.

I find that figure very very hard to believe. I'm thinking most people don't have to add oil between oil changes, because they are too lazy to check their oil level.

first oil change @ 4.8k, didn't loose a drop of oil.

second oil change @ 5.8k didn't loose a drop either.

however first 8k mpg was horrible.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Oil consumption and reliability may not be related, true. Watch out for the Cat converter though!

In my view, oil consumption is a sign of failure and won't typically be fixable under warranty coverage. If it gets excessive, it's annoying and can easily cost an extra $100 a year (eg. 1 quart per 1200 miles).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

(Looks like some BMWs and Audis should include an oil bottle holder instead of a coffee cup holder)

Oil change intervals are now 6000 compared 3000 which cut the oil-change cost in 1/2 . If you changed it at 3000 miles guess what?

If you are using a quart every 1200-1500 miles then you should be concerned.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 3 weeks later...

From another thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5276180

To those who think the previous generations oil consumption problem was completely solved in 2015 you are wrong. I have 10k on our Legacy and within the last 6k mile oil change period I had to add over 1qt of oil. Took it in for oil consumption test and was told that my car used 8.5 ounces in 1200 mile. The Subaru spec to begin short block replacement is 10.7. It was explained to me that they believe a metal coating is failing in some 2015 cylinders. The service writer suggested I have another test done after a couple of oil changes. By the way Subaru only pays for one test. And for those who think I am an isolated case, a gentlemen in the waiting room who overheard our conversation told me he was in for a consumption test and his 2015 used 12 ounces in 1200 mile.... Working on cars my entire adult life I know the damage excess oil usage can do to o2 sensors, cat converters let alone the environment. My biggest concern is, if this car is using 1 1/2 qts of oil every 6k mile now how much is it going to use at 100k miles.