• 2.5i - over 1 quart
    • 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a 2.5i and wondering if the boxer engine requires oil changes more than normal engines. I had a 2006 Honda accord with 140,100 miles on it. I used mobil1 synthetic oil/filter and changed it every 15K to 20K miles. I never added oil between changes and it never used more than 3/4 quart. I once sent the oil in for a check-up at 15K and came back within limits. 1/2 of my driving was highway in southern California. I either changed the air filter or cleaned it around 30K. I gave the car to my son without any smoke coming out the tailpipe. During the warranty on the Legacy, I will change the oil and filter every 6K but after that what do you think? Also, if I change every 6K, why not use a good brand of regular oil? I will also buy a Fumoto value as that should make it easier.

Keep changing it every 6K miles until you sell the car. What is the cost/benefit of changing it at larger intervals? If you're doing it yourself, your cost is like $32 each oil change. Why push when the cost is minimal?

I think most people on here, do use a good brand of synthetic. I know Pennzoil Platinum is quite popular nowadays, but Mobil 1 is just as good for what you're doing.

This is my first Boxer engine, but I can't imagine it requires oil changes more often than the competition.

Just follow the manual and you'll be fine.

• 2 months later...

Odometer: 20,448 kms (15,200 miles)

Distance driven: 8935 kms (5580 miles)

Quarts added: 0. Estimated usage: 1/4 of a litre/quart

Driving style: easy

Full engine operating temp (almost always):

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 7.7 l/100 kms (30.7 us mpg) calculated.

Love changing oil on this baby. With the filter on top and fumoto valve on the bottom, not a drop spilled on my hands, or the floor.

• 2 weeks later...
Odometer: 20,448 kms (15,200 miles)

Distance driven: 8935 kms (5580 miles)

Quarts added: 0. Estimated usage: 1/4 of a litre/quart

Driving style: easy

Full engine operating temp (almost always):

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 7.7 l/100 kms (30.7 us mpg) calculated.

Love changing oil on this baby. With the filter on top and fumoto valve on the bottom, not a drop spilled on my hands, or the floor.

Do you have the lock on the fumoto? Thinking about getting one at my next change, but can't decide if the lock is necessary or not.

I don't use the lock on the valve.

The spring to the closed position is pretty strong. Further, the area is well protected on the Legacy with the plate under the engine. It would be hard to imagine anything like a rock or anything else jarring that lever loose.

The "lock" I know about it just a plastic clamp and came with the valve. So, if you feel you need the extra insurance, just go ahead and use it. I think some guys use a spring clip. Again, I think it unnecessary.

• 2 months later...

My car started burning/losing oil around 12k miles. Didn't know until 15k when the low oil light came on and it took 3/4 qt to top off. Since then I've been adding about 1/4 qt per 1k miles.

I contacted SOA in hopes of getting the acceptable "spec" for oil loss. They say up to 1/3 qt per 1200 miles (~0.28qt per 1k). So I'm going to my dealer Thursday to start a consumption test...not fun:(

My car started burning/losing oil around 12k miles. Didn't know until 15k when the low oil light came on and it took 3/4 qt to top off. Since then I've been adding about 1/4 qt per 1k miles.

I contacted SOA in hopes of getting the acceptable "spec" for oil loss. They say up to 1/3 qt per 1200 miles (~0.28qt per 1k). So I'm going to my dealer Thursday to start a consumption test...not fun:(

I'm coming up on my 12k mark, hopefully I don't have this problem...I've been checking the dipstick religiously and I believe it's all good so far...

hopefully good things come to ya bud.

I'm almost at 17k and I haven't had any issues (build date March 2015). I check mine every other week regardless of mileage to keep on top of all fluids.

Personally I would continue to watch your oil consumption to see if it gets worse. IMO 1 quart of oil consumption really isn't that bad. Ideally, it wouldn't be measurably over the oil change interval, but personally I wouldn't want to have a mechanic doing major work on a nearly new car unless neccessay, bolts/nuts get missed, not all bolts/nuts are properly torqued, wiring harness clip and wiring harness fasteners get broken, etc.

I'm almost at 17k and I haven't had any issues (build date March 2015). I check mine every other week regardless of mileage to keep on top of all fluids.

I'm at 38K - (build date also March, 2015) - I have only had one time that I have had to add oil between changes, that was after driving home from Florida to Michigan through the mountains in March. I think I may have been playing just a bit too much. Have had two oil changes since with no loss.

Personally I would continue to watch your oil consumption to see if it gets worse. IMO 1 quart of oil consumption really isn't that bad. Ideally, it wouldn't be measurably over the oil change interval, but personally I wouldn't want to have a mechanic doing major work on a nearly new car unless neccessay, bolts/nuts get missed, not all bolts/nuts are properly torqued, wiring harness clip and wiring harness fasteners get broken, etc.

It's closer to or over 1.5qt (Subaru spec equates to 1.67qt). The oil change involved with the test is free so I figure why not find out exactly how much. If I'm in spec at least it will be documented, if I'm out of spec I'll see how they want to proceed.

I definitely don't want major work done on my engine, but if a gasket or seal is failing I'd rather have it fixed now under warranty, rather than have it fail later down the road once the warranty is up when the repairs will come out of my pocket.

Almost 11000 km (almost 7000 miles) since oil change on the car with almost 71000 km (44k miles) on the odometer and no oil added. It's still at 60% of the distance between upper and lower mark on the stick.

However it's a diesel engine, EE20. (Not part of the poll)

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

• 1 month later...

^^^ your oil consumption definitely appears to be outside the norm.

If filled to the mark, most users, in the first few fills, experience virtually no oil consumption. Have you alerted the dealer? Of course they'll say it's within specs, but I'd keep it high on the radar.

My 2.5 currently has approximately 67k on it. When it hit 30k it start using about a 1/2 quart between changes. I'm 500 miles to the next change and this time I'm up to a quart. Edited by Jeff T