• 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
That reminder must've been set by the dealer. You can set/change lots of maintenance reminders. Hit info and go through the menus.

ahhh makes sense, thanks ill give that a go in the AM, ima also check the oil level just in case

@eyekyu you should check the oil as a standard practice every so often. I am a very structured individual so it a weekly process......oil, tires, fluids and detail if needed on all 4 vehicles. Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

We check oil and coolant levels in a daily bases every morning before the car is started. We do this because of our extreme coolant loss over the last several months. Though recently we've noticed we're now consuming a little oil since the last oil change. About 1500 miles since the oil was changed and it reads a little below mid way between the dots on the dip stick.

I should check mine more often, but typically checked once between oil changes. No issues so far here. Since I change my own oil, I do check under the car to make sure I tightened the oil drain plug :lol:

I'm so paranoid about the drain plug not being tight enough haha. Sometimes so bad that I spend 20 minutes breaking the nut loose on the next oil change because I tightened it too tight last time haha!

I'm so paranoid about the drain plug not being tight enough haha. Sometimes so bad that I spend 20 minutes breaking the nut loose on the next oil change because I tightened it too tight last time haha!

That can be just as bad, if not worse. Trust the crush washer. An alternative is to buy a fumoto valve - torque it down with a torque wrench once and never think about it again. Should save YOU a lot of time!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There is a torque specification for the oil drain plug:

2.5i => 30.8 ft-lb

3.6R => 32.5 ft-lb

Source: 2015 Legacy/Outback FSM

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I tend to check my oil level, tire pressure, and battery charge every 2 weeks and I record everything (date and mileage) in google drive. I only do the battery because i had a failed Subaru battery after 3 weeks of owning the car (and it's also good procedure in the winter so you can tell if the battery is starting to go on you).

Haven't noticed any oil consumption after 2 oil changes and just over 10,000 miles of driving (changed oil at 1717 and 6889).

Almost the same as securityguy!

Did the first change at 1300 miles, second at 5800.

4500 miles and level hasn't changed.

Filled with Penzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 and going the full 6000 miles and then an oil analysis.

Feel comfortable going the full 6000 miles with a good synthetic and the 6.9 quart sump on the 3.6.

^^ [emoji16] Great minds think alike! I did my first oil change at 1,200 miles and second at 5,000. Used Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30. No oil consumption at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Likewise on the oil. I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0W20 in my 2.5. I only changed mine early before 6,000mi because I was driving 1,000mi round trip from PHL to mid-coast Maine. Will do it again in mid-February when I have another 1,000mi round trip from PHL to Charlotte. Definitely love the way this motor runs and sounds!

I really babied it during for several thousand miles. Never over 3K RPM, even less until fully warm. No hard acceleration, etc.

Current Odometer: 21382 miles

First oil change at 999 miles

miles driven between: 6000 miles

Quarts added: 0 - less than 1/2 quart between changes

driving style: usually easy, but occasional aggressive

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): almost always

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 30.6 MLG after 21000 miles

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a 2.5i and wondering if the boxer engine requires oil changes more than normal engines. I had a 2006 Honda accord with 140,100 miles on it. I used mobil1 synthetic oil/filter and changed it every 15K to 20K miles. I never added oil between changes and it never used more than 3/4 quart. I once sent the oil in for a check-up at 15K and came back within limits. 1/2 of my driving was highway in southern California. I either changed the air filter or cleaned it around 30K. I gave the car to my son without any smoke coming out the tailpipe. During the warranty on the Legacy, I will change the oil and filter every 6K but after that what do you think? Also, if I change every 6K, why not use a good brand of regular oil? I will also buy a Fumoto value as that should make it easier.