LegacyGT.com

Alex's Obsidian Black LGT wagon

alex0856

• I Donated Too

The oil inlet for the turbo is fed by a line that goes into the top of the turbo just before the heat shield. Thus if it leaks, it will smoke, if you're still unsure get it hot enough and the location magically gets easier to see because it will be well lit with a flame. You can see the line in your earlier picture here: http://i.imgur.com/7d89qdKl.jpg

The leak you show is near the PCV valve but check it's also not leaking out above from the intercooler which may be filled with oil if you have a dodgy turbo with lots of blow by.

The more I look at this the less positive I feel about things. I just hope this isn't a pandoras box for you mate.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last engine tag location you found is the vin for the engine. Check to see if it matches the vin plate on the drivers side strut tower. The other number you found is the head classification

Checked, the second number matches the transmission type.

Does anyone know why my profile picture isn't showing up? It's 200x134 and 16kb.

The oil inlet for the turbo is fed by a line that goes into the top of the turbo just before the heat shield. Thus if it leaks, it will smoke, if you're still unsure get it hot enough and the location magically gets easier to see because it will be well lit with a flame. You can see the line in your earlier picture here: http://i.imgur.com/7d89qdKl.jpg

The leak you show is near the PCV valve but check it's also not leaking out above from the intercooler which may be filled with oil if you have a dodgy turbo with lots of blow by.

The more I look at this the less positive I feel about things. I just hope this isn't a pandoras box for you mate.

This is probably the most Brit post you've ever made. Now I'm wondering what you sound like, and getting jealous of your "accent".

Alex, have Surgeline take a look as soon as you can, for the better. Oil leaking from the turbo would indicate that it's on the way out, but, those aren't lifetime parts, they're supposed to be replaced at least once.

It's my first priority, once I can drive my wagon again. She's been parked for 4 days now and I drove her to the local mini mart tonight just because I got fed up with it being parked. No plates or insurance at the moment :rolleyes:

Update:

Got a response from the original owner on Facebook:

http://i.imgur.com/62GyEsj.png

I'm scheduled for Surgeline on Friday. The owner just mailed the title today. Poor bastard was so tired of me texting him daily about it that he responded with a USPS tracking number :lol:

Should have plates maybe by next Monday.

Those look like 2.5i leather seats to me. All turbo cars had the taller bolsters, including cloth outback xts like mine.

sigma, I think what may have actually been done here is an interior swap on my car. Makes the most sense to me anyway, probably cheaper than re-covering the seats. It would explain why my shock sensor was unplugged under the seat and why my rear middle headrest is missing.

• I Donated Too

Well there's another concern. Why isn't the airbag light on? If the impact sensors or the airbags in the seats not connected properly then you are compromised if you're in an accident. Seats have side impact air bags in them. Not cool.

What is your states lemon law?

Everything's hooked up under the passenger seat. I assume it's the same under the driver's. I'll double check.

If this guy took the time to swap the interior and put 6k miles on this car, I feel as if he may have actually bought it for himself originally. But he still could have easily fucked up the motor work.

WA lemon law:

"Under the Washington State Motor Vehicle Lemon Law, a vehicle is considered a lemon when it hasn't been repaired after a reasonable number of attempts."

So I don't think mine really qualifies.

Reporting back from HMS!

Good news and bad news today...

The good: Overall, the car is in good shape. Block is most definitely original or from another LGT. Still not able to confirm the VIN but I was assured it's definitely not a 7k mile shortblock.

The bad: Two VERY big ticket items to fix, timing belt and an intercooler. T-belt getting done tomorrow. A mere $2k or more in repairs.

Tried calling the last owner today. Rang twice and went to voicemail. Go figure :rolleyes: good thing I know where he lives.

Timing belt is actually quite and easy job if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Find a copy of the factory service manual and it will walk you through it each step of the way. Also if you need a new inter cooler might as well get that nice new grimmspeed one!

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Timing belt is actually quite and easy job if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Find a copy of the factory service manual and it will walk you through it each step of the way. Also if you need a new inter cooler might as well get that nice new grimmspeed one!

Yeah, that's only $1500 right there!

I'm not inclined to do it right now nor do I trust myself to do it. And I need it done today, no other choice. Plus it puts more eyes on my car to help me find more potential problems.

A t-belt job shouldn't really cost more than like, $800 at a shop. . . Why is it $2k?

That's a question I would like to know too... maybe it's one of them fancy timing belts made of the threads of fur of the peruvian elk and hand woven by trappist monks.

And don't forget socially responsible, sustainable, and organically sourced rubber latex!

I know- got quoted for 755.

After looking it into more, it turns out the intercooler is fine. The oil leaks are coming from the turbo, leaking into the intercooler. And it's not boosting properly. Power has gone waaay down in the last 1k miles. Awesome. Guess it's time for a new turbo.

Archived