LegacyGT.com

Alex's Obsidian Black LGT wagon

alex0856

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! Yeah I've been reading quite a bit, looks like all my tax money is going to preventative maintenance this year. Any shops in Portland that you recommend just in case when I realize I'm in over my head.

The hard part is - you can do all the reading in the world (me). But when shit breaks better have enough saved up to fix it (kinda).

Thanks! Yeah I've been reading quite a bit, looks like all my tax money is going to preventative maintenance this year. Any shops in Portland that you recommend just in case when I realize I'm in over my head.

You bought the car. You're already in over your head. :lol:

What are the chances! I too also live in the same shit hole city of yours and just bought my gf an OBP 05 LGT Wagon but hers it automatic due to being a bum and not wanting to shift.

Sorry to hear about all your car issues, it's making me very nervous about mine. Im right on the same boat as you trying to learn all this crap before everything goes down hill. I believe you have the same car I was eyeing prior to buying mine, dodged a bullet there it seems. If I find a good mechanic that is a guru on our cars I will for sure let you know

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/reodan92/DSC_0004_zpstvqm61pm.jpg

Oh really, where in Vancouver? I haven't seen any other OBP wagons yet. I think I know the wagon you were looking at. Has 152k miles?

You should be nervous :lol: did you get a lot of receipts with yours?

Mine never made it to Craigslist. I put a WTB ad out and got a response surprisingly. There was another OBP 5MT wagon that Alligaeta bought, might be thinking of that one.

Use to live there, know right where that is at. Go to the Rock, grab a beer and a pizza while you are at it.

I think the Rock is a thing in Portland. I dunno.

He needs to save his $$ for a new shortblock.

Not yet!

Suby made it home in good shape. Misfire went away after I got past Tacoma, so I don't even ******* know what's going on at this point. :spin: A shop has my car today, so I'll know at the end of the day. Gonna swap the tranny fluid today too.

For now, I'm rolling in my girlfriend's Pontiac Vibe :cool:

Oh yes that is right, it did have quite a few miles more than yours so it wasn't the one I saw.

I'm in the Hazel Dell area and from judging from your pictures, I think you may be in the same neighborhood as my buddy nearby.

I ended up getting it from a really small dealer that only has about 4-5 cars at a time but it was nice because they did quite a bit of preventative maintenance that I don't have to worry about now. They also gave me the maintenance records of the car and from what I've seen it's been well taken care off and not modded what so ever.

Yep, I'm in Hazel Dell too. Over by Gaiser off of 99th.

Lucky you! Mind if I ask how much you paid?

The person-who-knows-what-they're-talking-about that drove my car around today said they couldn't hear the turbo spooling at all. But the misfire seems to have gone away. Probably a faulty spark plug or an ignition coil, hence the intermittent behavior.

So, once again, she is parked until I can get a minute to rip the turbo out. Good times.

I suppose if I look at the positive side, the car is worth what, 11,500 to the right person in good working order? I'll be into it about 12,200 once I get the turbo rebuilt. Not too bad I spose. No "replace shortblock" dash light yet so for now we're good ;)

Updated my original post into a build log. Go look at my pretty blue timing belt job. Only cost me $2100!

/cry

Dang that's crazy. Did you buy the Gates Kit yourself? The people who replaced mine ended getting it for about $150 and about 2 hours of labor which was covered by them. Looks like your car is coming along pretty nice though.

Yep, I'm in Hazel Dell too. Over by Gaiser off of 99th.

Lucky you! Mind if I ask how much you paid?

)

Yep that is exactly where he lived! I paid 12k from a small dealer but it came with complete maintenance records along with them doing gasket, timing belts, and water pump prior to being sold. I didn't mine paying the extra premium for peace of mind ;) I still have to do a few things like the uppipe, downpipe, and banjo bolt just to be sure.

Dang that's crazy. Did you buy the Gates Kit yourself? The people who replaced mine ended getting it for about $150 and about 2 hours of labor which was covered by them. Looks like your car is coming along pretty nice though.

It was 1300 worth of parts, 800 labor. T-belt, thermostat, timing kit (pulleys etc.), water pump, crank seal, idler pulley, timing tensioner, some o-rings, an oil drain hose, valve cover gaskets, two serpentine belts, air filter, two radiator hoses, anti-freeze, and misc shop supplies.

Yep that is exactly where he lived! I paid 12k from a small dealer but it came with complete maintenance records along with them doing gasket, timing belts, and water pump prior to being sold. I didn't mine paying the extra premium for peace of mind ;) I still have to do a few things like the uppipe, downpipe, and banjo bolt just to be sure.

Does he by chance live in the house that has an Evo, a 1 series Beamer, and I believe an STi parked in front of it?

Small update all, I got my boost gauge installed Wednesday to keep an eye on things. Was maxing out at 11PSI but usually averaged 10-10.5. I'm supposed to get 13.5 right?

On Friday I averaged 9.5, and yesterday I was barely getting 9.5 under hard acceleration/high RPMs. Got home and had a small stream of smoke coming from the turbo area. Didn't investigate it, decided to park the car again. Gonna pressure test everything on Wednesday to make sure there's no vacuum leaks, and then a compression test...it makes me sick just thinking about it. Until then, looks like I'm rolling my Civic until further notice.

I suppose I should introduce her to all the haters:

http://i.imgur.com/D7fH7ldh.jpg

Wish me luck all :icon_sad:

• 2 weeks later...

VF40 came out today and is in the mail for a JmP rebuild.

I got in touch with the last owner of my car a week ago. Turns out he's not a bad guy. I'll write up the story when I get back from my run (ugh). He is offering to pay for the rebuild.

http://i.imgur.com/sya4DyNl.jpg

Also got my JDM tail lights :D

http://i.imgur.com/kvodWFCl.jpg

Alright, back and sweaty as ****. God I hate being out of shape.

Anyway, so after weeks of texting the guy with no response, I drove to Tigard to the shop/dealer that facilitated the whole sale. Showed them the receipt for the TB, and they said they'd contact him (the previous owner is family of the owners of the business). To my surprise, he actually texted me the next day. New phone number, hence his lack of replies.

The story goes that he bought the car for 3k last year like the original owner's ad stated. He then bought a motor out of a wrecked LGT with 75k miles and had it put in. The owner of the motor told him the car had a new TB/VF40/clutch, which worries me because although I've confirmed the TB and VF40 were not replaced, It may be possible that this "new" clutch was installed into my car during the motor swap :icon_sad:. The original owner stated in his ad that the car got a new Exedy Stage II clutch and SMFW at 95k.

Next, he fixed the body damage that was mentioned in the original ad (all from parking lot incidents, the car has been confirmed to have never been in an accident). Then he had the entire car painted. I'm no expert on paint, but the original owner had mentioned cracked paint on the hood, and I have yet to find a single flaw. I had a body guy look at it, and he said the paint definitely looks new.

Finally, he did in fact swap the interior. Hence the 2.5i front seats.

He's offered to pay for the JmP rebuild, which saves me a nice chunk of change.

He seems like an alright guy, but nonetheless he was dishonest about the car's story and told me the reason he wrote 13k as the sale price of the car on the title was because that's how much he had into it. :rolleyes:

The CNT catted downpipe that was installed by the original owner isn't there, pulled an OEM one out of the car today :mad:. Shaft play was non-existent on the VF40, but it definitely leaks internally so the rebuild was justified.

An inspection of the banjo showed that the filter was removed, so yeah.

All-in-all, I think I'm going to be alright. The motor should have 83k on it now, which isn't quite YNANSB territory. I can only hope that the other two major unknowns about this car, HG and ringland, are in good shape. I'll probably bite the bullet and pay for a compression test once I get it back on the road. I'm tired of stressing about it.

If that turns out good, I'm gonna install an AMSOIL by-pass kit, since Hammer Down has me convinced that it does wonders for engine health. That and the GF's dad told me a story about a customer of his who installed one on his 6.0L Ford and drove it to 650k miles, built the shit out of it and then finally got the truck to blow up at 750k. Filtration is key.

On a side note, HOLY CRAP, running Red Line in the tranny/final drive is fantastic. Substantial improvement from whatever was in there before.

When you do the compression test, include the leak down test at the same time. Would like more detail on the Redline???

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI5Y6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Red Line 58304 (75W90) Non-Limited Slip Synthetic Gear Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive[/ame]

Red Line 75W-90 NS, for non-limited slip. GL-5 grade. It's fantastic. Pricey, yes. But 4 quarts of this shit will make your tranny feel new. Made my car so much more enjoyable to drive. This or AMSOIL are both good options, I've heard both produce the same results. I went with Red Line just because there was more testimony for it.

I highly recommend it.

Thanks Sigma, I hope I'm at the end. Fingers crossed!

Update, my VF40 is on its way back home! With any luck it'll arrive Saturday and I can install Sunday.

Rushed to Subaru today to blow $200 on parts -thumbs up-. Received my replacement TMIC, all that's left is the Mishimoto hose I bought off a member and I'm good to go.

http://i.imgur.com/7kmU49Sl.jpg

Archived