LegacyGT.com

Alex's Obsidian Black LGT wagon

alex0856

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC, stock are not technically 'cast', they're hyperutectic, but, just not the best.

Hypereutectic is just a different alloy, it's still cast. A forged piston is smashed in a giant press before being machined into it's final shape, that's where it gets it's strength. But, you're also right, they are not the best. LS engines have hypereutectic pistons and people boost them a lot with high mileage without blowing up.

• I Donated Too

Alex you did take that well and I will say again, we are here to help and forum members take you under the wing so to speak because you're here on the forum with us sharing your experiences and letting us know what you're doing. Others who buy $1 oil and live in darkness will blow their engines in quiet also, where no one can hear their cries and suffer lonely through the agonizing experience of an engine rebuild with no knowledge at all that they could have saved themselves with Rotella T6, oil made for a diesel car.

There is a possibility your odd set of options is because someone swapped in a leather interior and hooked it up. Did you search the VIN number to make sure there's no for sale thread for it on the forums - I just purchased a wagon out of state and did just that, found the thread where it was previously for sale on here and learned a lot about the car that way even getting in touch with the original owner. It's a long shot but you never know.

As for the heated wipers/mirrors control by your left knee the other buttons have been for traction control on later vehicles and a folding power door mirror option mostly on JDM/Euro vehicles or by those that have swapped in those parts.

How come? You're honest, not rude. It's a fantastic trait to have.

So what's your opinion on my car's odd selection of options?

My guess is that yours is an early rollout on "training day" which would explain why it's got no sunroof, but all the other options.

Tough love is the only way! Proud to be a part of this forum for that reason alone. Nasioc gives me f'ing headache trying to understand how ppl can be such dickheads. We're all gathered here for the purpose of expanding our knowledge and our understanding of these beautiful cars and I can say for the most part, here at LegacyGT.com, we are a pretty humble bunch ready and willing to help! (not that I can help you much :lol:)

Alex, nice to see a new member whos not full of themself! Hope to see you around here some more and looking forward to your future mods bud - Nice wagon ;)

Tough love is the only way! Proud to be a part of this forum for that reason alone. Nasioc gives me f'ing headache trying to understand how ppl can be such dickheads. We're all gathered here for the purpose of expanding our knowledge and our understanding of these beautiful cars and I can say for the most part, here at LegacyGT.com, we are a pretty humble bunch ready and willing to help! (not that I can help you much :lol:)

Alex, nice to see a new member whos not full of themself! Hope to see you around here some more and looking forward to your future mods bud - Nice wagon ;)

:lol:

Thanks Sneaky, I've already started a shopping list...:rolleyes:

Sigma: I'm tempted to go drain the oil today just out of paranoia.

Tris: Training day?

Okay all, NOW I'm confused. I searched my VIN. Check out this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reno-2005-legacy-gt-wagon-4k-226963.html?t=226963&highlight=4s3bp686956376975

That's my car's VIN. I just ran outside to confirm. And after looking at the upgrades list, I know this is my car. I forgot to mention the swaybar upgrades. Bilstein must be the brand of shocks that are on it (They're bright yellow). I've got factory rims but it wouldn't exactly be hard to swap those Rotas out. It was originally purchased from Flatirons Subaru. I've got paperwork for it. It did live in Reno NV and in Boulder CO as well. But I definitely doesn't have a dying motor.

I suspect the guy I bought it from lied to me, because he told me it's never had a HG. Oddly enough, when I went to drive the car his uncle met me for it. He mentioned something about how he had "done a lot of work to the car, headgasket, timing belt, blah blah blah..." I told him I was told it never had a HG, and he said "oh, maybe it didn't. I don't really know."

I guess this should have raised red flags but everything checked out with the car and it runs like a top as far as I'm aware. I don't know why someone would sell me a car that had a lot of work done to it and not want to tell me. Usually that's something sellers brag about.

I also have a copy of the bill of sale from the original owner, who I've actually contacted on Facebook. Only messaged him once, so when he gets back to me I'll see if he wants to tell me the story about this car. Anyway, the guy I bought my Suby from bought it for 13k. Not 3k.

ECU tuned with romraider

Should I check if this tuning is still there? How would I go about doing that?

Wow, that's actually pretty cool! We have something in common -- Both our cars came from Reno. Not sure mine was bought in CO, though.

Still, you've got most of the good upgrades already, and it sounds like you've got a new shortblock!

Best way to confirm is to verify that the VIN on the bellhousing matches your car. If there's no VIN there, and it's just a short-er string of numbers, you've got a new OEM shortblock. If it has a different/mismatched VIN, someone pulled a JY motor to swap it, which, may not be good.

Does your Trip2 meter have a high count on it? If so, that might be the number of miles on the new motor. When we swap, that's the 'new' ODO, so to speak.

• I Donated Too

Whatever the story was THEN it's not going to be the story of the car NOW and some or all of those engine upgrades may or may not be there anymore. You will do well to fill in the blank in the middle if you can contact previous owners. IF that's the same engine then you might be in trouble but if it's all been fixed then I would be happy but if someone put a new engine in it they would have surely sung that praise when selling it unless you got it at auction? The ECU tune will also have to have been adjusted for whatever the car was setup with since that post/sale for $3k was made.

That ad mentions the body is in rough shape - it's not like that anymore right? If it's all pretty now then someone put some effort in to make it all better and we can only presume the engine got some looking after too. I would go look at your pictures again but I don't want to exceed my monthly bandwidth allowance, I do remember your rear spoiler was in place and that ad says it was busted off... someone fixed your car up.

However now it sounds like you don't have a consistent story from the previous seller or they didn't really know and made stuff up? For me it makes more sense it's become a frankencare and that leather interior was also put in after the fact - again the original ad you dug up says non-limited... I think they would have mentioned the leather if it was there... 'non-limited BUT does have leather...'

You should for your sake now check the car but I would be somewhat positive about it because they clearly spent time and money fixing the bodywork and went as far to put leather in and hook it all up. The engine will have been taken care of but you don't know anything now for certain and the factory VIN may be no help matching correct parts for 'that' engine. You don't know! You need to exercise extra effort now, the timing belt thing... all of it, you need an accurate inventory of what you really have.

What Turbo, what tune, what injectors, what's going on and when was it really all serviced properly and how much do you really have on the compentents because Doctor Frankenstein has been by...

• I Donated Too
Oh and if you need help identifying parts, take pictures and we can and will identify things for you - just don't ask the guy who said you had Brembos. Also make your pictures a little bit smaller please so I can load them up this month when you post. :)

The body is in perfect shape. Can't find a single dent.

Leather had to have been added years ago, because the driver's seat is fairly worn.

It's hard to say what the seller was thinking. I'm waiting for the original owner to respond back to me, then I might be able to get the answers I need.

Sounds like I don't have a lot. Right now I'm concerned about the tune. I assume I would have to take it to Cobb to check it.

I'll post a pic of the turbo.

Did some more reading on my car. My options would line up with those of a 2.5i Limited, minus the moonroof:

Leather Interior, leather steering wheel, leather parking brake handle and leather shift knob

6disc CD changer

Power glass sunroof

Dual Zone Climate control

Power driver's seat, 8 way

Fog lights, projector beam

All Weather package: heated seats, defrosting outside mirrors, front windshield wiper de-icers

2.5GT Limited:

Leather interior: perforated taupe or charcoal interior

Power driver's seat - 8 way

Power passenger seat, 4 way

Power glass sunroof

My leather is not perforated, but it sounds like you only get that with tan. And obviously I don't have the power passenger seat or moonroof. Everything else though, I've got.

Here's my turbo. Sorry for crappy pics:

http://i.imgur.com/2EvfEIQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7d89qdKl.jpg

Also interior pics since I never got around to posting them:

http://i.imgur.com/VFtAcdsl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SaClK7Al.jpg

It occured to me that my seats don't look like LGT seats. Don't they look like this?

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/adios1344/188999_203660276328930_100000548770057_702318_4832329_n.jpg

leather steering wheel, leather parking brake handle and leather shift knob

6disc CD changer

All Weather package: heated seats, defrosting outside mirrors, front windshield wiper de-icers

These are standard factory options on all LGTs.

leather steering wheel, leather parking brake handle and leather shift knob

6disc CD changer

These are standard factory options on all LGTs.

Good to know, thanks

Here, this gives you a rough idea of where you'll be able to see the VIN on the bellhousing.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4897786&postcount=273

EDIT, the first picture there shows the transmission code/VIN on the right, and on the left, (Shiny, new block) would be a VIN if it was the factory motor, or a donor from another. Otherwise, you'll see mine has a different code/serial number, indicating it's a replacement shortblock.

Well all, upon further inspection of all the documents that came with this car, I fear I may have been bamboozled.

I was told by the guy I bought my Suby from that he paid 13k for it. He was selling it for more than I paid for it, but I got him down on price because of the lack of service records.

Looking at the title, I noticed that it looks like someone added a 1 to the purchase price of $3000, which is what according to the original FS forum post I found, the original owner sold it for.

Clearly the car was bought to flip, which normally I would be okay with except that I was lied to by the last owner about it. So now I'm concerned that the rebuild may not have been done well. Later I'm going to take a closer look to see if the shortblock was replaced. If not, then I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I can press any legal charges.

• I Donated Too

...and just because they are worn doesn't mean they were installed in your car a long time ago. They were just worn like that when they put them in. Leather is nice to have, especially if the heated seats work?

So sure, you could have been bamboozled... but someone took their time to take the dents out and replace parts like the rear spoiler and put in that interior. That's all worth something, cost someone time and money to do all that. Car drives nice? Are you happy with it and the price you paid? Want to share with us what you did pay?

So yes if you're stuck with this car, get some things checked out soon! It's probably not going to be a Cobb tune on that car from what I have seen of the other for sale thread, said the AP was unmarried and an open tune was used. I can't tell what kind of Turbo you have from the pictures but the stock heat shield is over it, it's probably a stocker or if you're lucky something nicer.

You should get the engine really inspected by someone who knows these cars, not the highly knowledgeable individuals you've already mentioned as they may just have you top the oil off with Marvel Mystery Oil and send you on your way with euphemisms about sewing machines. Find an AWD tune shop who can tune Subaru's and get the car checked. It's a puzzler because maybe the car is just fine, clearly someone did make an effort and why go to any effort and leave a really bad engine in there too... but then why be dishonest about all the work that's been done when you sell it on. It doesn't really appear to be the standard buy for $3000 car, stuff newspaper in the rust holes and dents, duct tape and spray black, change the oil and claim the car is 'sweet as a nut' to the next sucker who comes along with $13,000 in their pocket. A lot more has been done to make this car half decent. Strange, but half decent. Keep us informed with your story... good luck and I hope things work out okay!

I'm having a hard time locating any codes. I found two but I don't think they're what I'm looking for. Both are on the block, I think. This one was taken from the front driver's side, by the timing cover:

http://i.imgur.com/ljyGpoql.jpg

Link to larger pic: http://i.imgur.com/ljyGpoq.jpg

Closeup:

http://i.imgur.com/4uaolU6.jpg

Down in here, I found a code that read "5B TY757VBAAB" printed on a white label:

http://i.imgur.com/1Akqxail.jpg

Also, anyone got a clue on this oil leak? I was told it's coming from the oil inlet for the turbo. Wanted to confirm, or know if I should be concerned about it. It's a seep, not really a leak yet.

http://i.imgur.com/y3yxiH7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y8l2p1Ul.jpg

You can see it pooling up around that bolt in the second pic.

Thanks all. I hope I don't have to do anything drastic with this car...I'll be contacting lawyers for advice if it turns out to be fucked up. But I will try to stay positive. I may take a drive over to Cobb Surgeline for a second opinion on the car. I'm sure they'll see something that I don't. If everything checks out and it seems like this may have been a well-done rebuild, I guess I'll just keep it.

...and just because they are worn doesn't mean they were installed in your car a long time ago. They were just worn like that when they put them in. Leather is nice to have, especially if the heated seats work?

So sure, you could have been bamboozled... but someone took their time to take the dents out and replace parts like the rear spoiler and put in that interior. That's all worth something, cost someone time and money to do all that. Car drives nice? Are you happy with it and the price you paid? Want to share with us what you did pay?

So yes if you're stuck with this car, get some things checked out soon! It's probably not going to be a Cobb tune on that car from what I have seen of the other for sale thread, said the AP was unmarried and an open tune was used. I can't tell what kind of Turbo you have from the pictures but the stock heat shield is over it, it's probably a stocker or if you're lucky something nicer.

You should get the engine really inspected by someone who knows these cars, not the highly knowledgeable individuals you've already mentioned as they may just have you top the oil off with Marvel Mystery Oil and send you on your way with euphemisms about sewing machines. Find an AWD tune shop who can tune Subaru's and get the car checked. It's a puzzler because maybe the car is just fine, clearly someone did make an effort and why go to any effort and leave a really bad engine in there too... but then why be dishonest about all the work that's been done when you sell it on. It doesn't really appear to be the standard buy for $3000 car, stuff newspaper in the rust holes and dents, duct tape and spray black, change the oil and claim the car is 'sweet as a nut' to the next sucker who comes along with $13,000 in their pocket. A lot more has been done to make this car half decent. Strange, but half decent. Keep us informed with your story... good luck and I hope things work out okay!

I paid 9500 for it. He asked for 10500. Got him down due to lack of paperwork. I'm definitely going to take it to Cobb as soon as I get plates. Right now, she's parked because it's taking forever to get the plates. In the great state of Washington, trip permits are good for 3 days and can be bought 3 times a month at 30 bucks a pop.

The last engine tag location you found is the vin for the engine. Check to see if it matches the vin plate on the drivers side strut tower. The other number you found is the head classification

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived