LegacyGT.com

Underdog Motorsports - 2015 STI Steering Rack Swap

Underdog

It seems to me that the larger the delta in steering ratio the more prone to VDC issues. Going from the XT 16:1 to the 2015+ WRX 13:1 is a larger change than going from the GT 15:1 to the 2015+ WRX 13:1, and therein lies the reason for the issue that some, and not all, are having.

Have you installed the rack on your XT. I Just picked up an 06 xt project car and was thinking about this swap.

Have you installed the rack on your XT. I Just picked up an 06 xt project car and was thinking about this swap.

No, lack of funds not permitting this mod yet. A guy on the Forester forums did an 08-14 STi rack, and later went with the 15+ STi rack without any issues with either on his Forester XT.

I bought mine brand new for $560 from Hueberger.

$650?

I paid $636 from Hueberger. Don't need it now.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nope, $564 for part number 34110VA120. They seem to have gone up recently. Hueberger has been raising all their prices to be more in-line with all the other Subaru dealers.

Edit: you do need it. It's awesome.

Edited by Rhitter

Nope, $564 for part number 34110VA120. They seem to have gone up recently. Hueberger has been raising all their prices to be more in-line with all the other Subaru dealers.

Edit: you do need it. It's awesome.

Yeah, $636 at Heuberger for a while now. And yes it's awesome... I've driven a few '15~ STi models eh. FS post going up soon.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it fits.

• 3 weeks later...
I installed a 2015 rack on my 05 OBXT. Great upgrade! Thanks for this thread it was very helpful! The STI steering joint didn't seem to fit the OBXT though. It was a bit short, maybe I missed that somewhere in this thread.

Because the OBXT has spacers between the subframe and chassis the OBXT steering joint needs to be a bit longer. You could always cut the STI one and weld in a little bit of rod to lengthen it, or get the Perrin kit that locks the damper in the stock unit.

• 2 weeks later...
What year STi solid steering couplers will work with 05/09 factory steering racks?

Skip the sti coupler. Just get a steering dampener. Does the same thing, 10 minute install.

Skip the sti coupler. Just get a steering dampener. Does the same thing, 10 minute install.

Not into bandaid repairs. +1 for your post count doh.:rolleyes:

Back on topic,

04+ STi solid coupler works?

Ime, jdm/eudm, the changeover in terms of spline count, is the GC rack.

So 03+ to be safe. :edit: see below...

Iirc the one I installed in my bp/bl/gr has a pink band on the shaft, bought via yahoo.jp natch.

Edited by bigBADbenny

Scored another solid uni from an ADM low k my07 V9 STi, indeed 2 pink bands on the shaft :)

I found the part on opposed forces, #2 34170FE040 here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/en_g11/type_42/steering/power_steering_gear_box/illustration_10/

Clicking useage info confirms it's MY01+ compatible, eg any tabbed mount rack.

Edited by bigBADbenny

• 2 weeks later...