LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so reviving the oil catch can theme for a moment. I was under my hood today testing out bulbs on my battery when I happened to look at my Mishimoto catch can that's hooked up the the PCV line. The indicator tube shows that the can is about 1/3 full of oil. The can has a capacity of 16oz (1pt), but I do have it stuffed with stainless steel mesh which will add some displacement. So, I am going to say there's probably between 2-3oz of oil and stuff in there. When I get around to draining it, I'll know for sure, but that's about 1/8 of a pint that was kept out of my manifold. I know that ain't much, but for a NA car, it shows that the can actually does something.

Previous to this, I had only once before found oil in the catch can between oil changes, and that was my last oil change where I didn't use the Nanotech additive. After using the Nanotech for the next three oil changes, I had zero oil in the catch can. I had run out of the Nanotech, so it wasn't added last oil change, and after 6K miles, there's oil in the can again. So, there may be a correlation.

^^^ That is great stuff, Perscitus.

I wish I was within driving distance of a tune to do the headers/cat and tune it all in a day.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

^^^ That is great stuff, Perscitus.

I wish I was within driving distance of a tune to do the headers/cat and tune it all in a day.

I'm doing my best to try to get everything done in a day in the summer. CT is a few hours away from me and I most likely will end up crashing at my friends place in Stamford if the work takes longer. Since I got locked by the Mrs. in what I could spend I decided my money was best spent on the headers/mid-pipe & 93tune.

I scrapped the Magnaflow exhaust and the suspension upgrades as I just cannot afford it. Just gotta get in touch with Rob via phone (more telephone tag!) to finalize when I will go up to get the work done.

Perscitus has said the greatest gains are from the headers and from what everyone who was them has said, its what makes this beast into a sleeper.

Speaking of tuning Perscitus, when he finally is able to get Bank 2 fully tunable and gets the tables done, any idea how much more he can squeeze out of our motors before we have to either do engine mods or FI?

^^^ That is great stuff, Perscitus. I wish I was within driving distance of a tune to do the headers/cat and tune it all in a day.
Rob talked extensively about your car and tune. He said you are so pleased with the latest Boomba TB tune revision, you don't even need the next/potentially final one. And we both LOOOVE the way your engine sounds doing laps @ Laguna Seca.

Rob talked extensively about your car and tune. He said you are so pleased with the latest Boomba TB tune revision, you don't even need the next/potentially final one. And we both LOOOVE the way your engine sounds doing laps @ Laguna Seca.

I got an e-mail from him following up on latest tune asking me when I'm gonna log :lol:.

Yeah, I like it a lot and it has a lot of grunt off the line. I am just too swamped at work and I'm waiting for a good hot day. It has been cloudy.

I worked last two weekends including Friday which was a holiday.

I can't wait for next track day either...May 24th...God willing!

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

How did we do on power results with the tb? I may be purchasing one too if it's worth it

I am waiting for the dyno.

Dietschwerks moved but left their dyno. Borelli Motorsports is working on setting it up for use. They have the shop next door. They are pretty swamped at the moment and scheduling work three weeks out.

That combined with my schedule at work means it may be a few more weeks before we make progress...unfortunately as I really want to know.

E85 + EZ36 + 5EAT... 0-62mph in 5.2 seconds. Time for headers and high flow cats

Intake + exhaust + tune on 91 = 0-60 in 5 flat.

What did you do in a 1/4 mile?

I think the y is custom.

Most of our shit is custom.

Got to talk to Rob a bit more on Friday, hes currently in the process of getting me a quote and getting a day set up.

Very interesting discussion. Said that Perscitus's numbers were actually detuned a good bit (the torque especially) because of the instability Perscitus discussed on bank 2 earlier, but definitely still has some room to grow. I also told him about my discovery with the 2002-2004 Infinti M's transmission being the same and he was absolutely floored to hear the kind of power our 5 speed was paired to originally.

I asked him about E-85 and our cars and says he's done remote tunes and the car really only needs a fuel pump just to handle it. Power wise is pretty absurd for what the car can get up to.

He also said (if I remember correctly) 330-350hp and 380-420+ft lbs would be the cars N/A upper limit without internal mods or FI. Also said the car would need drive-train upgrades outside the of transmission to handle that sort of power, especially coming out of the turns or any kind of launch.

Saying that, its pretty insane what our engines are capable of: with E85, a few bolt ons, and a great tune, that's a ton of power from an engine Subaru rates at 256/247 off the factory floor.

Overall very interesting pieces of information and the more we talk the more I'm excited for the upgrades, especially the headers which seem to be the thing that truly kick start the cars true performance enhancements.

Edited by Golferdude1087

Figured. Dangit. Those "cats" though. I need that and I'd do the full header back.
Frozenboost.com ncfree! I am going to swap them out though because since the day we installed them, under certain conditions, I get air/fuel pinging inside of them (since they are baffled). Its almost inaudible in the cabin, but very annoying if you roll the windows down or listen to the car go through its passes from the outside.

We will be switching to regular straight pipes and welding my stock cat heat shields over them for the proper look. This will alleviate the issue.

The y is a glorious 2.5" ID now (throughout) and mates with the header flange (2.25" ID) and the catback/resonator section flange (3" ID) nicely.

In essence: header ports -> 2.25" raptor runner flange -> 2.5" y -> flex joint -> 3" resonator/catback. Works and sounds great. Almost V8 like.

As soon as I have the baffled catless cats issue corrects, I'll record some sound clips/videos.

Throttle response has improved tremendously, almost to the point of being twitchy. I had to dial the DBW controller back down a notch, lol. Power comes on strong and the engine pulls to well north of three digits. I shut her down before I was able to see when she runs out of breath.

Bank 2 tuning needs to be sorted so that the ECU timing correction and knock strategy doesn't step in and castrate the output after a few pulls.

Once we have that as good as Bank 1 is now - I think 330-350 and 380-400ft-lbf are very possible without any internal mods or FI like Rob and Golferdude reports! We are actually almost there now :)

Power comes on strong and the engine pulls to well north of three digits. I shut her down before I was able to see when she runs out of breath.

Bone stock she pulls to 100-110 (wherever 3rd ends) and she'll climb to 120-130 without too much effort (not fast but definitely not that difficult).

Along with the car having a stock limiter at 146 (I don't know if anyone's got a 3.6R that fast yet..stock I wouldn't feel safe, she gets a bit floaty with the stock suspension over 120) so I wouldn't be too surprised if you could get her to possibly needle the speedometer with that much power.

Bank 2 tuning needs to be sorted so that the ECU timing correction and knock strategy doesn't step in and castrate the output after a few pulls. Once we have that as good as Bank 1 is now - I think 330-350 and 380-400ft-lbf are very possible without any internal mods or FI like Rob and Golferdude reports! We are actually almost there now :)

Considering Robs fear about the drive train issues (he emphasized CV joints), I know you have suspension mods but was wondering if he recommended anything else to handle that grunt or are you good to go with your current modifications?

Perscitus, you considering putting E85 in to see what she can do with that fuel?

Edited by Golferdude1087

Nothing yet in terms of driveline upgrades. We're only adding the Rallitek 5EAT insert,

and potentially some Whiteline rear diff inserts to tighten things down a bit. I also have a ATF cooler bypassing the radiator, ATF fully flushed out with Amsoil Signature Series ATF.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/

Like this - she seems happy as-is, no issues.

With the headers, there is enough torque (especially low and mid-RPM) that I rarely ever go WOT or need to downshift - unless I just feel like having some fun and listening to the engine/exhaust tone. On the highway, she's happy between 1.5-2K RPM, sometimes even 1.3K is enough, just cruising along.

Personally I'm not a fan of E85, so no - she's only getting fed AKI93/E10 (typically E5-E7 in the Tri-State area) pump gas.

City driving with the most recent changes, I'm averaging 23mpgs. For me at least vs earlier, that's an uptick. I'll see what I get all-highway - previously typically ~28-30mpg (best ever: 32.3 mpg).