LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

Very very little. Only on cold startup and under WOT.

Adding the bottle style resonators somehow eliminated ~60-75%.

(perhaps NOx, COx, etc. are getting at least partially trapped in the baffle/perforations and/or burning off some in there?)

I'm not a fan of the mod, but it was the only way to go with what we had on hand.

The AFRs are good enough that not much unburned fuel is making it into the exhaust too.

My brother followed me all the way home (65+ miles, including some city driving and back to back traffic stops)

and did not notice anything different (windows open, fan on low/medium, no re-circulation).

One solution:

http://www.aptuned.com/VIB-7102

http://www.aptuned.com/VIB-7101

Another one (lol):

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5068699-power-plus-banana-blast-fuel-fragrance-only-4-oz-bottle.html

http://pitstopusa.com/i-10298367-power-plus-cinnamon-fuel-fragrance-4-oz.html

http://pitstopusa.com/i-10298371-power-plus-green-apple-fuel-fragrance-4-oz.html

Edited by Perscitus

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, that's perfect - especially if you add them upfront in stock or near-stock locations. This way you can do this:

Raptor Headers (2.25" ID at the runner exit flange)

2.5" ID section of pipes

2.5" Vibrant or Magnaflow metal HF/UHF cats

2.5" or 3" ID section of pipes into CBE

Hey fun question, I have Subaru's awesome (cough cough) Gen 5 Navigation system. At some point down the line I want to have that replaced with something a bit more updated. (Going off on streets that no longer exist can be fun provided I don't bottom out but creates problems when I need to get somewhere)

Anyone have any recommendations to Navigation systems they have, or would consider putting in their legacy?

We have a thread (or two) on this topic... last few years more and more companies have come to market with OEM-replacement NAVs for us. Thing is it gets a bit tricky to get all the functionality (steering wheel controls, etc.) depending on model year.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/all-things-navigation-map-updates-included-239442p3.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-new-oem-style-nav-arrived-today-236081.html?t=236081&highlight=aftermarket+nav

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replacing-factory-navigation-systemi-227603.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aftermarket-nav-good-truei-180756.html

I've had good luck with my Myron&Davis (Rosen) unit which runs an old flavor of Windows CE (5.x I believe). Its simple, a bit primitive but looks OEM, fits great, all controls working, plus with a bit of 'hacking' I'm able to run the latest iGo Primo on it (with 2014 maps, soon 2015 maps).

http://www.nng.com/igo-primo

Hey fun question, I have Subaru's awesome (cough cough) Gen 5 Navigation system. At some point down the line I want to have that replaced with something a bit more updated. (Going off on streets that no longer exist can be fun provided I don't bottom out but creates problems when I need to get somewhere)

Anyone have any recommendations to Navigation systems they have, or would consider putting in their legacy?

I fully understand the amount of hotels/addresses that don't exit with this system it has sent me down back allies and into trucking companies parking lots. :spin:

I loved my Garmins before this adventure so I have purchased the Garmin Nuvi 2757, FREE life time map upgrades, screen resolution of 800 x 480 very clear. Lane guidance. I purchased the garmin friction mount which fits very nicely into the recess on the dash. My 10 year old garmin outperformed the cars system so this one should be fantastic.

I fully understand the amount of hotels/addresses that don't exit with this system it has sent me down back allies and into trucking companies parking lots. :spin:

I loved my Garmins before this adventure so I have purchased the Garmin Nuvi 2757, FREE life time map upgrades, screen resolution of 800 x 480 very clear. Lane guidance. I purchased the garmin friction mount which fits very nicely into the recess on the dash. My 10 year old garmin outperformed the cars system so this one should be fantastic.

Totally agree with you on this...Garmins work great...cost little and are infinitely upgradable ....I carry a Garmin NUVI around in the car in case I actually need Nav assistance....The stock Nav is for entertainment and estimating time to certain destinations ... which it struggles to do accurately anyway. Adhesive suction disc fits right on the flat piece right in front of the clock...ready when needed ;)

Catless Y-pipe Update:

Even with the bottle style resonators welded in-place of the cats, I'm getting rasp above 4.5-5K RPM. Its not bad but annoys me (my exhaust sounded PERFECT before the trouble with the cats began) so I've done more research online and talked to Vibrant in Canada and settled on these:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1468_1470_1111&products_id=856

http://autoplicity.com/545763-vibrant-exhaust-fabrication-high-flow-catalytic-converters

Vibrant tells me that unless I get lucky with adding more and more resonators and mufflers (and finding just the right config/combo) to eliminate or muffle out the rasp, the only sure way to get rid of it on an NA engine is to replace the cats. FI cars, especially those with turbos have the single best muffler/resonator upstream of the their downpipes - namely the turbo itself.

I'll report back when I have these added in. Might be keeping the short bottle-style resonators where they are, unless we decide to take them out (for whatever reason).

Finally logged my tune 7.3 with boomba TB and sent to Rob at AMR.

air temps ranged from 110 to 133. Ambient was ~78.

133 sitting at a light. 110 cruising.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Early teaser of my Boostane review. I have tons of logs to go through and will likely want/need to run one more tankful to get a good before/after comparison. A dyno run would be good to (I have the before just a few weeks ago; no after) but I'm not sure when I'll have the time and $$$ to drive back up to AMR for it.

This should speak for itself though :)

On the left are the BEFORE Learned Values from ECU RAM (AKI93/E10 Exxon/Mobil tankful, no additives)

On the right are the AFTER Learned Values from ECU RAM (AKI93/E10 Exxon/Mobil tankful + 1 quart of BOOSTANE, effective RON of approx. 100, can't tell AKI)

Same tune

Same stretch of road

Similar ambient conditions

Each LV snapshot after 1/4 of tank used to allow ECU to learn.

BtSsm_LV_20150429_1903a.png.00329e6713267f7a02ee5986ef5b9e5a.png

BtSsm_LV_20150502_1916a.png.373ed191b4bac70eafcb8ad4a4ea2666.png

Cool...

I prefer to use 100 pump gas, but it gets expensive real quick, so I save it for the week of track.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

So driving from Pittsburgh to the Maryland for a boating trip I decided to use the stock navigation (which couldn't find the marina address) while also using google maps on my phone (which did have the address). Needless to say I found myself looking at my phone more often then I wanted to.

I think after the headers and tune are completed I am going to look for an upgraded navigation to integrate into my car. I want to have it physically in the same location as the current one so from what I read getting all the pieces to function properly should be a fun adventure.

#Luxsuby

Early teaser of my Boostane review. I have tons of logs to go through and will likely want/need to run one more tankful to get a good before/after comparison. A dyno run would be good to (I have the before just a few weeks ago; no after) but I'm not sure when I'll have the time and $$$ to drive back up to AMR for it.

On the left are the BEFORE Learned Values from ECU RAM (AKI93/E10 Exxon/Mobil tankful, no additives)

On the right are the AFTER Learned Values from ECU RAM (AKI93/E10 Exxon/Mobil tankful + 1 quart of BOOSTANE, effective RON of approx. 100, can't tell AKI)

Same tune

Same stretch of road

I know you want a bit more time to get a more thorough before/after comparison but since you might not get to Dyno her for a bit, did you notice a difference in her?

Too much football has gotten me used to snap judgements lol

Edited by Golferdude1087

I know you want a bit more time to get a more thorough before/after comparison but since you might not get to Dyno her for a bit, did you notice a difference in her? Too much football has gotten me used to snap judgements lol
Lol, in short - yes. She runs even smoother now. I've noticed a few things:

a. smoother idle, cruise, any RPM transitions (the car is 5 years old and the best way I could describe how the engine ran now is what I remember from break-in with 7-999 miles on the ODO)

b. cooler engine temps (my coolant temp was typically 10-15F higher under the same conditions during highway cruises with same/similar ambient temps)

c. improved throttle response (just a tad more crisp)

d. strong pull under any form of acceleration (especially once the ECU dialed out all the timing corrections back to the max settings AMR dialed in - this took about 1/5 to 1/4 tank of DD to take full effect).

I've been doing a fair bit of research on Boostane, Torco, Ace's IV (can't wait to try this one BTW, already on its way to me) and it looks as though the effective octane ratings Boostane quotes for various blend ratios

a. assume AKI93 base

b. give RON effective octane

Playing around with the AKI, RON, MON #s a bit, I would say that the '100' octane rating I should be getting with the ratio I used is likely equivalent to AKI96. If I'm wrong and its indeed AKI100, that would be a nice bonus.

I will try to dial the dosage back a bit and say use 1/2 a bottle or 3/4 of a bottle to see if I still get no FKC/FLKC throughout the timing adjustment surface. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than enough over AKI93 on our engines in NA form.

ItalianLegacy would probably benefit from the 80-74:1 blend ratio (full quart, if not more per tankful).

Same tune

Same stretch of road

I know you want a bit more time to get a more thorough before/after comparison but since you might not get to Dyno her for a bit, did you notice a difference in her?

Too much football has gotten me used to snap judgements lol

Lol, in short - yes. She runs even smoother now. I've noticed a few things:

a. smoother idle, cruise, any RPM transitions (the car is 5 years old and the best way I could describe how the engine ran now is what I remember from break-in with 7-999 miles on the ODO)

b. cooler engine temps (my coolant temp was typically 10-15F higher under the same conditions during highway cruises with same/similar ambient temps)

c. improved throttle response (just a tad more crisp)

d. strong pull under any form of acceleration (especially once the ECU dialed out all the timing corrections back to the max settings AMR dialed in - this took about 1/5 to 1/4 tank of DD to take full effect).

I've been doing a fair bit of research on Boostane, Torco, Ace's IV (can't wait to try this one BTW, already on its way to me) and it looks as though the effective octane ratings Boostane quotes for various blend ratios

a. assume AKI93 base

b. give RON effective octane

Playing around with the AKI, RON, MON #s a bit, I would say that the '100' octane rating I should be getting with the ratio I used is likely equivalent to AKI96. If I'm wrong and its indeed AKI100, that would be a nice bonus.

I will try to dial the dosage back a bit and say use 1/2 a bottle or 3/4 of a bottle to see if I still get no FKC/FLKC throughout the timing adjustment surface. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more than enough over AKI93 on our engines in NA form.

ItalianLegacy would probably benefit from the 80-74:1 blend ratio (full quart, if not more per tankful).

I will make life easy for everyone and just repost this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4820576&postcount=78

Not sure why I was thinking 96 blend...it was more like a 99 octane or so.

Yup, spot on Fredrick. Your experience with racegas was my inspiration.

I don't have dyno results yet but I can clearly see all timing added back in by cumulative Subaru ECU knock prevention strategies, higher min/max timing advance, etc.