• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.039-.043" for the 3.6R and 2.5i

Thank you...added to first page!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I just installed new ngk plugs 3 months ago would it be ok if I pulled them out to check the gap or should I replace them if I pull them out? I'm trying to figure out my knock problem. It's been there since I was on stock Rom.

The gap is smaller on the turbo because of higher cylinder pressure, from forced induction. If you gapped your N/A car the same way, you're going to cause pre detonation in your cylinder head. If our plugs had the same sized gap as the N/A engines, it would cause spark blow back. Unless you've boosted your N/A car, use the plugs and gap spacing designed for your car. Without a super/turbo charged engine (or nitrous), or major engine work, you won't have the necessary cylinder pressure to gap your plugs the same way. The 3.6 without forced induction should stay within the specified gap range.

Hmm, I just did a run and didn't have any knock. I changed the gaskets on the exhaust manifold today thinking that was the problem but the run I did afterwards still knocked. I wonder if it was learned knock and the gaskets fixed it. Ill do more runs and see

The gap is smaller on the turbo because of higher cylinder pressure, from forced induction. If you gapped your N/A car the same way, you're going to cause pre detonation in your cylinder head. If our plugs had the same sized gap as the N/A engines, it would cause spark blow back. Unless you've boosted your N/A car, use the plugs and gap spacing designed for your car. Without a super/turbo charged engine (or nitrous), or major engine work, you won't have the necessary cylinder pressure to gap your plugs the same way. The 3.6 without forced induction should stay within the specified gap range.

Had anyone played around with this? It sounds like we have a acceptable range of .006 would we be able to tune for more power at .039 vs .045? I might play around with it at least using the accepted ranges.

Hmm, I just did a run and didn't have any knock. I changed the gaskets on the exhaust manifold today thinking that was the problem but the run I did afterwards still knocked. I wonder if it was learned knock and the gaskets fixed it. Ill do more runs and see

Did you reset your ECU after the install?

Here were I am, maintenance schedule is like 4800+km. So plugs are changed that often and we found with Iridiums, usually go off after the first month and normal performance for the next 2 months. Regress over the next few months. Using Copper, it fix well into the oil maintenance of 4800+ or 3months.

You just cannot take plugs out a box and put them in. There are needed to be check for gapping. Some gapping are usually more than 0.9mm.

Apparently I still have the factory NGK's, I thought I threw them out but I guess not. Thank God I'm lazy. Lolhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/3evyjypa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/uhagyje6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/31/arynujeb.jpg

11 is 1.1mm so seems 3.6 might have larger gap. Ones I have pulled out have been 0.8mm BUT they have been dealer serviced.

Where are you located? Maybe due to America's crazy cries for gas mileage they opened the gap on USA models but the power loving people where you live got tighter gaps. Lol

But do you have a service manual for the 3.6R Steven?

Please remember the quality of the Gas is very important.

We all will be patiently waiting on your feedback.

I had my coppers in for about 6months. Started off I think at either .7 or .8mm. When I changed them, there were 1+mm