LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

I will just post it here for now.

I looked at my compact spare because I am contemplating sizing down in tire diameter.

The compact spare is a 135/70/17 which is about 24.7". OEM tire diameter is 26". There is over an inch difference between spare and other tires.

Several people have posted against having different size tires. This goes cometely against those opinions.

Not sure what to make of it.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just post it here for now.

I looked at my compact spare because I am contemplating sizing down in tire diameter.

The compact spare is a 135/70/17 which is about 24.7". OEM tire diameter is 26". There is over an inch difference between spare and other tires.

Several people have posted against having different size tires. This goes cometely against those opinions.

Not sure what to make of it.

Interesting, because I just sized up to 225/50R18's, and I'd wondered about the spare and the difference in size, considering I'm almost an inch taller than the stock 225/50R17's. I thought I'd just get a 2015 Legacy spare, but then remembered the change to 5x114.3. When I buy snow tires, I plan to run 255/55R17, which is the same height as the 225/50 R18. I wonder if a full size wheel and tire will fit in the trunk and still allow the liner to lie flat?

Interesting, because I just sized up to 225/50R18's, and I'd wondered about the spare and the difference in size, considering I'm almost an inch taller than the stock 225/50R17's. I thought I'd just get a 2015 Legacy spare, but then remembered the change to 5x114.3. When I buy snow tires, I plan to run 255/55R17, which is the same height as the 225/50 R18. I wonder if a full size wheel and tire will fit in the trunk and still allow the liner to lie flat?

We can make almost anything work. My 275s should fit in there as far as height but I havent tried to put one in to see if the wheel well is wide enough for a proper diameter.

My main concern, or maybe it shouldnt be a concern, is the spare tire's diameter. It means that I can run a 255/40/17 and still be safe since 25" is closer to 24.7".

My knee jerk reaction would be to replace the spare tire with a spare of a proper height. There are several compact spares on tire rack.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Fixed up the headlight scratches as best I could (before meeting up with Matt that is!). Not perfect, but that'll do pig, that'll do.

And ordered some of the best (supposedly) heat reflective tape on the market for the intake tube and box. Unlike the more common gold tape, this stuff from Coast Fabrication is silver and inter-woven with Kevlar. Its called 'Aerolite Plus' and its rated to reflect ~96-97% of radiant heat up to 2000+ F.

We'll see how it performs soon enough (I've got the before IAT logs handy).

And they scream heat soak, even while driving 50+ mph on the highway with ambient @ 85-95+ F.

Aerolite Plus on the left

regular Aerolite on the right

http://www.coastfab.com/images/heat_tape_full_1.jpg

http://www.coastfab.com/images/pdf/Heat%20Reflective%20Tape%20Comparison%20Nov%202011.pdf

Okay...by the magic of csv files, I can tell you that my logs showed IAT temperatures in Farenheit ranging between 91 and 100 degrees. This range covers normal driving and pulls in second or third gear. Ambient tempreature was low 70's...I checked weather history for San Jose on May 6, 2014. The high for that day was 74.1 and I logged at 12:47 PM.

It looks like my IAT is not horrible.

What are you getting at what ambient temperatures?

On second thought...reposting in 3.6R mod list....

Thx Fredrik. Sea-level humid 83F ambient, IAT starts at 93-96F, with cold engine. Idle for 8 minutes to see what happens, IAT rose slowly to 105-115F. Applied throttle to raise RPM up to 3 then 4K RPM.

IAT dropped back down to 95F. MAF reading a nice 600cfm.

I will see more this weekend as these readings were post MAF/IAT cleaning earlier this week.

Last weekend pre-cleaning, I logged a 1.5 hour drive back home from the beach. Ambient 89F, mid afternoon sun. Sun baked engine bay saw IAT of 100 at startup, then climbed up to 110, 120, 130, 140. Mostly highway, then stop and go red lights galore. 50-60mph sections didnt help much, IAT stayed near 120. Just before shutting her down I got a few minutes at 150F in the garage.

AFRs, fuel trims, timing, wideband Vs, cfm all looked good (cfm spiked to 1200cfm hehe), same with coolant and atf temps. Car ran fine and pulled well, steady idle too, but intake pipe toasty to the touch.

'Cold Start Idle' Log Uploaded Here:

http://www.datazap.me/u/perscitus/2010-subaru-legacy-36r-cold-start-idle?log=0&data=3-5-15

Edited by Perscitus

Sun baked engine bay saw IAT of 100 at startup, then climbed up to 110, 120, 130, 140. Mostly highway, then stop and go red lights galore. 50-60mph sections didnt help much, IAT stayed near 120. Just before shutting her down I got a few minutes at 150F in the garage.

That stop&go once I hit Queens is brutal. Add to that the condition of the roads and it's amazing any car can stay in one piece for long.

Very nice Giovanni, thats what Im using, MX with Torque Pro. Added a few custom PIDs and logging around 30 PIDs in full sensor sweep mode.

I still gotta learn how to use it maybe u can teach me. do u leave the obd2 In all the time or do u take it off? I'm thinking I'll use it all the time and just leave it in and use my nice new phone as a boost/Afr guage

I still gotta learn how to use it maybe u can teach me. do u leave the obd2 In all the time or do u take it off? I'm thinking I'll use it all the time and just leave it in and use my nice new phone as a boost/Afr guage

I have the UltraGauge so it's plugged in all the time. I would think the OBDLink would be the same; it just doesn't have it's own display.

Mine is in full time and I bought a Y cable so that I could have it and the ECUTek cable in at the same time while tuning.

I have a Y-cable too so I would never have to unplugged the UltraGuage, but I never got around to using it.

Thx Fredrik. Sea-level humid 83F ambient, IAT starts at 93-96F, with cold engine. Idle for 8 minutes to see what happens, IAT rose slowly to 105-115F. Applied throttle to raise RPM up to 3 then 4K RPM.

IAT dropped back down to 95F. MAF reading a nice 600cfm.

I will see more this weekend as these readings were post MAF/IAT cleaning earlier this week.

Last weekend pre-cleaning, I logged a 1.5 hour drive back home from the beach. Ambient 89F, mid afternoon sun. Sun baked engine bay saw IAT of 100 at startup, then climbed up to 110, 120, 130, 140. Mostly highway, then stop and go red lights galore. 50-60mph sections didnt help much, IAT stayed near 120. Just before shutting her down I got a few minutes at 150F in the garage.

AFRs, fuel trims, timing, wideband Vs, cfm all looked good (cfm spiked to 1200cfm hehe), same with coolant and atf temps. Car ran fine and pulled well, steady idle too, but intake pipe toasty to the touch.

'Cold Start Idle' Log Uploaded Here:

http://www.datazap.me/u/perscitus/2010-subaru-legacy-36r-cold-start-idle?log=0&data=3-5-15

I have the dei cool Tec tape on mine, I can post pics of my iat graph for comparisons. Ill clean the maf sensor today and start logging.

I have the dei cool Tec tape on mine, I can post pics of my iat graph for comparisons. Ill clean the maf sensor today and start logging.

If you don't mind spending the money, I guess we could go with this...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010417-Cool-Cover-Tube/dp/B000CEQBXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406988483&sr=1-1&keywords=dei+cool+tube]Amazon.com: DEI 010417 Cool Cover Air Tube Cover Kit: Automotive[/ame]

If you don't mind spending the money, I guess we could go with this...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010417-Cool-Cover-Tube/dp/B000CEQBXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406988483&sr=1-1&keywords=dei+cool+tube]Amazon.com: DEI 010417 Cool Cover Air Tube Cover Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Actually I had that on my Malibu and it cutters the engine bay possibly reducing natural air flow, it's too baggy. The wrap works very well and doesn't look too bad either.

Is there any difference between the silver or gold wrap other than the color?

One place I'd like to use this is between the sunglasses holder and the roof. when I park in direct sunlight, my glasses get way to hot to put on right away.

Yup. I will report back when the wrap comes in and I wrap the intake tube, airbox, maf housing. Thinking of running some custom piping to the hks funnel too and out by the radiator on the left. Get more cooler air up there.

I did some Googling and the only price i could find on the stuff was $25/ft and that it's 20" wide. Any truth to that?

Actually I had that on my Malibu and it cutters the engine bay possibly reducing natural air flow, it's too baggy. The wrap works very well and doesn't look too bad either.

Without the engine cover, there seem to be plenty of room around the intake pipe. I just like the fact that it's easy on, easy off.

Perscitus, have you considered wrapping the intake manifold all the way to the takeda box?

The intake tube does get warm but so does the manifold.

Edit: someone did the math...not sure if it is a solutely correct.

In the C5 corvette they estimate 1.11% change in hp per 10 degree intake temp change based on stp correction factors.

Here is the link I found

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/showpost.php?p=1545283087&postcount=11

Edited by fredrik94087

Without the engine cover, there seem to be plenty of room around the intake pipe. I just like the fact that it's easy on, easy off.

Sorta, it's easier than with the wrap but you have to tape the ends with a special tape to seal the heat out, of you take it off you will have to get more tape cause it won't stick after peeling it off.