LegacyGT.com

Engine going "cold" during highway driving.

I'm thinking T'stat, try putting a piece of cardboard in front of the bottom 1/3 of the fins in cold weather.

My stock radiator will cool after coasting for a mile or so on a cold morning. But never noticed a issue on the highway when it's in the single digits.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mines been doing it ever since I installed a mishimoto t- stat. if It's cool (and I mean about 70 out, rather than 90) and I'm on the highway going 80, temps would go down. I've actually thrown t-stat malfunction code several times when the engine should have been at operating temp.

I too also have the dual core mishimoto rad.

If a t stat is doing it job it may be slightly colder but still be really close to normal driving temps. Does not matter how big a radiator you have if the stat is closed its closed

Ture, but when the car is moving at highway speeds and the outside air temp is cold there may be enough cooling air flow to keep the engine ok.

If the t stat is working, putting a block in front of the radiator may help. Big trucks do that in the winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure and burp the system. If it's not burped and full of coolant, the lack of coolant can cause the gauge to misread (coolant sensor not immersed in coolant) and can actually make it look like it's going down.

If that doesn't do it, then change the T-stat.

pic of the needle. it's supposed to fluctuate just a tiny bit. i don't think mine sits exactly at the middle either.

or get your laptop or AP and log the ECT. should be around the 180-200 range depending on conditions. if it's staying in that range, then leave things alone.

• 2 weeks later...
I put an oem stat on. man, I forgot how quickly the coolant warms up to operating temps.

Fixed it for ya. The engine isn't at truly at "operating temperature" until the oil is fully warmed up. This can take up to 10 minutes, regardless of what the coolant temp guage says. I try to stay out of boost, and definitely no WOT for the first 10 minutes of driving after any cold start.

To the OP: I had a similar issue with my WRX (had a Koyo rad and GS T-stat). Turned out to be the thermostat, as most here have rec'd. Hope you get it sorted!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 1 year later...
The other week when it was down around -10 F for a few days I noticed that after my drive home from work (25 miles, 20 of them highway) the radiator and lower radiator hose were cold. Temp gauge was at normal operating temp, so the cold air flow over the engine must have been enough to keep the temps in check and prevent the thermostat from needing to send much (if any) of the coolant through the radiator.

Archived