LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

The 05-09 Legacy has a slightly longer wheelbase than the 08-14 WRX so probably a little more front weight to the weight distribution. Thus the need for slightly more damping force. Edited by GTEASER

I run the LGT model Konis on the front of my GH8 because the adjustment range has more resolution and I figured if anything they'd be stiffer.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Reading through the original Koni build thread and a lot of the picture links are dead. Gteaser, I've seen some of your edits on the OP's posts there, any chance you can look into those?

PM me the link to the thread and tell me what posts you want pics restored for and I will see if I can do it. Probably not likely tho.

Okay Gents.....we have an option.

The bodies of the inserts and full compression measurement is the same between the 1453 and 1447.

0660bf5d84a7a424d07111026fa85519.jpg

0cf06a26e069166283177367517b8938.jpg

a6b1750e273e52db6348111457460a33.jpg

At full extension however, just as Koni told me, the 1447 is 7mm (approx 1/4") shorter.

33ccdb5683316003c4340c41140f90dc.jpg

7df447f165e8a9476b7bc48ae8afc272.jpg

The 1453 that we've been using is 1/2" shorter at full extension than our stock shocks (See one of my first post in this thread, measured in donor struts). So the 1447 will be 3/4" shorter than our stock shock.

I would probably not recommend using the 1447 if you're planning on running stock springs because even lowering springs are a pain in the butt to compress enough to get the tophats on with the 1453, and it will be harder with the 1447 because you lose 1/4" over the 1453.

That being said....I don't see any reason why most of us can't use these 1447s. With the slightly stiffer damping rates, I'm sure they'll perform excellently.

Edited by GTEASER

So are we talking 13-14 springs stiffer or even more than that? I'm not too keen on losing ride height if I can avoid it.

What? These are shocks, not springs. Koni Yellows can handle up to 500lb spring rates. Our stock springs don't come close to that, maybe 210 max and that's it.

What I am getting at is that the 1447 will not extend (open up) as far as the 1453, or our stock shocks, so with stock springs, which are slightly longer than lowering springs, you may have a harder time compressing them enough to get the tophats on when you assemble the assembly. Not to say it can't be done, just be aware that you may run into issues if you try the 1447 inserts with stock springs. The 1453 inserts already make it a little harder even with lowering springs.

Edited by GTEASER

Ok I misunderstood. Didn't realize you were only referring to the length of the stock sized springs. I thought you were saying that the shorter extension would only be recommended with stiffer springs, which generally are lowering springs.

I used the eibach pro springs with a 1" strut spacer to retain ride height or most of it. I lost about a half inch probably a bit less. But the car handles much better.

how did you go about removing and reinstalling the studs? I tried pounding one out of an old mount just for shits and giggles and it wouldnt budge.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4lb sledge...place the bottom end of the stud over a socket on a block of wood and then smack the stud with the nut on it. They come right out.

Edit the spacers come with new hardware, you don't reuse the studs.

Edited by FLlegacy

Thanks for the info and link.

I see that some Forester and Outback owners are making DIY spacers out of HDPE. Could be a project down the road if I find that a 1" drop is too much for winter snowfalls. Just need to take some detailed measurements of the tophats when changing things out I imagine.

For fock sake guys! What the hell! Everyone wants Koni's and is bummed we can't get the 1453's anymore, GTEASER buys a set of 1447's for the sole purpose of research and verifying they will work for us after Koni says they will work for us, and now nobody wants to take them off my hands for less than I bought them for. You're fricking welcome guys! Where's the love? These will actually work BETTER than what we've been using because of the slightly stiffer damping. I guess nobody got tax refunds.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-bnib-pair-koni-yellow-inserts-8610-1447s-261248.html

On top of that, I bought a single 1453 off a member here so I could compare with them in my hands. I've got $475 tied up in trying to help out the community. I can't very well sell a single, so I have to eat that for now, but the 1447s could be installed now for a 1000% better ride.

I intially got an extra set of 1453s because I thought they'd never make em again. Aren't there some members who have the rear konis but not the front ones??

Yeah, I know of one member here who has the rears and when I tried to strike a deal with him to build a set for him with these 1447's in trade+cash for the stock 2012 GT wheels he has listed on CL for $400, he tried to play it off like they were worth $600. I told him to go shove it up somewhere dark.

For fock sake guys! What the hell! Everyone wants Koni's and is bummed we can't get the 1453's anymore, GTEASER buys a set of 1447's for the sole purpose of research and verifying they will work for us after Koni says they will work for us, and now nobody wants to take them off my hands for less than I bought them for. You're fricking welcome guys! Where's the love? These will actually work BETTER than what we've been using because of the slightly stiffer damping. I guess nobody got tax refunds.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-bnib-pair-koni-yellow-inserts-8610-1447s-261248.html

Have you tried advertising them in the 4th Gen parts section?

I would hope on these, but I literally did my rears last weekend, together with my brakes all around and still pedals.

Btw, the the sports with the 2014 springs did the ticket. My suspension is nice and tight. Still have to do the fronts, but waiting for cash flow to celebrate in.. unless you want to barter for iPad minis. ::offtopic