LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....But wait, you are saying is that the one I have posted is for the core only? And you have to buy an extra "fit kit" to make it work?

There is no fit kit since you can reuse your stock piping...IF you have the older WRX fitment, or STI intake and turbo. In short, that will never work on your stock intake and turbo Legacy.

Apologies, I was just posting that for a price comparison to what they currently sell.

But wait, you are saying is that the one I have posted is for the core only? And you have to buy an extra "fit kit" to make it work?

Since RSD's FS item is for a pre-2008 WRX/04-14 STI, which doesn't require the hoses, nor the ducting, you would need to add the cost of the silicone hoses and a duct to the price to get it closer to what the LGT/08+WRX/Forester version would cost. Likely $150.00-$200.00 more than the one RSD has listed.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

From NASIOC

Thanks for the feedback! As you probably know, we released an 02-07 TMIC early in 2013. Part of what has held up the 08+ is that sales for that intercooler have been much, much more successful than we had imagined. We literally cannot weld them up fast enough. The reason that has delayed the 08+ a bit is that it's important for us to actually have the product available when it's released. If we had rushed through the R&D phase of the project only to get to production and be backordered for 6-8mos, we've done ourselves (and you guys) no favors.

We actually had a design that was 'OEM style', ready to produce, but scrapped it based on feedback from you guys that facilitating the STI style turbos was important. You're right though, that is part of the challenge.

Thanks for the feedback! This sums it up pretty well, I think. You really need to see it and handle it to understand the difference - they are worlds apart. I'm biased though, of course, so I'll let the finished product speak for itself.

We understand that people have immediate need and for those people, the PW seems to work just fine. With all due respect, this type of product isn't something that can/should be rushed. We're taking the time necessary to ensure that when it's released, it's the best option, with no exceptions.

Permanent mold casting means that every single end tank is cast from the exact same stainless steel mold. This creates parts that are dimensionally perfect, have a smooth, consistent finish and are extremely pressure tight. Sand casting uses a mold made out of sand for each part. During the casting process, the mold is destroyed and the sand is reused to make the next part. With the exception of OEM parts, this is the method that you've seen on other intercoolers. After casting, sand cast parts are pretty nasty looking, so they're cleaned up with a grinder/sander to look more consistent. Unfortunately, this creates portions of the end tank that are sometimes very thin. Lastly, a nice, thick powdercoat or polishing is used to mask the remaining defects. Ever seen the inside of a sand cast end tank? The sand casting process itself is cheaper, as there's little initial investment and manual labor overseas is very inexpensive. If you want parts like that, they're already available. We're working to provide you with something new, and that is exactly what permanent mold casting facilitates. Make sense? It's something that the other guys choose not to "deal with", because although it creates far superior parts, it's more time consuming during development and requires greater investment.

Aww shucks! http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

He's right, though. We're very, very busy, juggling many balls. There are a lot of projects that can be 'banged out' pretty quickly with focused work. TMICs, though, require a substantial amount of R&D before we even get to coordination with the foundry and mold makers. Not to trivialize 'tube and flange' or machined parts, but designing a proper intercooler for manufacturing is no small task and very few do it correctly.

Matt Beenen

Engineering

And another...

I'm glad so many of you are on board and that you 'get it'. We're not in the business of pumping out intercoolers in every possible fitment with mediocre design methodology and universal end tanks. These are very specialized.

Being that we're not in production yet, I can't promise anything. What I can tell you is that the PW unit is our benchmark. In fact, it's sitting on my desk as I type this. If we can't make a better performing, better fitting, high quality alternative at a more affordable price point, we will have a very hard time moving forward. This is no small task and is why we're taking the care that we are in the design stage.

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Thanks for the updates GS guys. At this point, after searching for a PW for almost a month, I am going to pull the trigger on an FMS front mount. I don't really want a front mount, but at the same time I don't want to spend $700+ on a tiny AVO or Perrin when the FMIC can be had for the same. If and when this is ever available, put me on the list to buy one. Thanks and keep the R & D going.

7 years of the Legacy type turbo and intercooler in the WRX seems like a very lucrative segment to get into GS. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Even though the Perrin is really not that small of an intercooler, I'm seriously considering stepping up to the GrimmSpeed once it's out.

Thanks for the updates nyx. I Dont cruise nasioc much anymore.

I am still excited to test this unit against others currently on the market, I know it will be worth the wait.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

And prototype pic w/ more info...

Alright, I feel bad that you guys haven't seen pictures in a while, so here's a quick screenshot of what I'm playing with right now. Don't mind the crooked splitter, I'm playing with how much tolerance there is in the mounting brackets (for ease of fitment in different vehicles) and how that affects splitter coverage.

What you see here is hopefully/probably similar to what we can expect as a finished product. It's along those lines, anyway. You can't tell from this, obviously, but the core is a decent bit larger than the PW and although I don't have it detailed in this particular model, the core specifications (internal and external bar heights and fin densities) are far superior. A similar turbo adaptor is used, but the end tank is modeled to eliminate around 100 degrees of bending in the silicone. You can see that the BPV is bolted directly to the end tank. For the valves that I've tested (in CAD and on the car) this seems to cause no problems. There's a lot going on down there, so this is something that is definitely subject to change, but I really like this solution if I can make it work.

Before anybody asks, the added feature modeled onto the inlet hose is to support portions of it while it's being printed for prototype use.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_teaser5.jpg

I should also note that I noticed that my image links are broken and probably have been since the launch of our new site. I'll get those fixed ASAP!

Yep, that is still the plan!

You know us well!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Hey Chris,

Yes the main focus for this top mount will be to fit the LGT style turbos. There will also be options for those who upgrade to STI style turbos.

I don't have any info on upgraded splitters as of yet but it's definitely something we want to have available for the release.

Mike

I think I'm going to put my entire build on hold for this. Better than paying for a dyno tune on an inferior tmic, since I don't want to go fmic, not yet anyway.

I'll just do what I always do and fiddle with brakes and suspension on my slow car until then.