LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my $0.02.. make an adjustable bracket for the drivers side attachment to allow for slight variations in IC build and turbo fitment..

Oh like slotted holes or over size holes and washers, or bolts with flanges on the head.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Or a bracket that could have the slots, and threaded standoffs to match the vavriations in height to the factory mount locations.

Some of the TMIC's I have seen fit better than others, but most all of them are a tight fit (given the extra capacity) so whatever mounting on the drivers side is used, it needs to be flexible enough to work without 'custom' engineering ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They've posted some updates on facebook. They have a prototype mounted on a test engine... looks mighty nice.

Appears to be for WRX/LGT fitment and will allow stock turbo (flange) or STI style turbo use... it has a Y pipe on the underside like the STI guys.

Things I would change about the Perrin TMIC I have.

1. Have the fins align with the rest of the car. This is simply a fit and finish problem that gets me everytime i open the hood. The rest of the parts under the car are nice and straight but the fins and the TMIC are off by a couple of degrees which bugs the heck out of me.

2. Please utilize an OEM style hot side gasket. The Perrin style gasket doesn't give you much trust.

3. New Air or utilize OEM splitter too fit the bigger TMIC. Again fit and finish

4. Retain the Engine cover with minor/no modification.

5. Turbo flange bolt holes should be slightly oversized or slotted to allow proper fitment.

If most of these things are met in the TMIC i think my perrin will hit the For Sale market soon.

Keep up the great work guys.

Things I would change about the Perrin TMIC I have.

1. Have the fins align with the rest of the car. This is simply a fit and finish problem that gets me everytime i open the hood. The rest of the parts under the car are nice and straight but the fins and the TMIC are off by a couple of degrees which bugs the heck out of me.

2. Please utilize an OEM style hot side gasket. The Perrin style gasket doesn't give you much trust.

3. New Air or utilize OEM splitter too fit the bigger TMIC. Again fit and finish

4. Retain the Engine cover with minor/no modification.

5. Turbo flange bolt holes should be slightly oversized or slotted to allow proper fitment.

If most of these things are met in the TMIC i think my perrin will hit the For Sale market soon.

Keep up the great work guys.

The Perrin you are basing all these points from is hardly a benchmark. It's not much bigger than OEM and acts partly as a heat sink for the turbo with the way it connects to the turbo flange. Fin alignment - negligible. Sure I agree the TMIC should be square in the bay (another issue with your Perrin I'm sure as it's well documented fitment wise). You are contradicting yourself in 3 and 4 and no idea why 5 is relevant.

This will be a larger core than OEM. You want an appropriate splitter to direct airflow over as much of the core as possible. There's no way with that all being said that the OEM engine cover will fit without major modification. It's part of the OEM splitter configuration to seat the hood duct to the OEM TMIC. This all changes with a larger core.

Regarding slotting the turbo side bolt holes, this shouldn't be required because like their STi model (and the PW TMIC), it will likely use a silicone coupler, which is better than having a huge aluminum piece directly attached to the turbo soaking heat like your Perrin unit. Silicone flexes and will eliminate slight adjustments needed at the turbo flange connection.

Our measurements show a total core area of 498.75 cubic inches in comparison to the OEM 2004 STi TMIC which is 352.24 (18.5” x 7” x 2.75”) and the largest OEM Subaru TMIC from the 2008+ STi at 387.5 (20.875” x 6.75” x 2.75”). This makes the GrimmSpeed 140% larger than the 2004 TMIC and 120% larger than the 2008+ piece.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3AvaQZhXXyyQe1B3zE-k-CpHtwVmS59R7FtHBsVlRlBjFl4kW