LegacyGT.com

Which BPV to Choose?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Will I need to get a protune with this BPV or no?

I didn't think so but Logan McDowell, in his stage 2 FYI thread, seems to indicate that you may.

Most likely, yes. I've had a few etune customers who had to upgrade their bpv mid tune. It will make a significant difference by actually holding boost. Don't let that stop you from doing it though. Your car will run better and it won't mess up your afr's like a leaking stock bpv. I'm holding about 2psi higher at 5,000rpm, with the same wgdc settings, just from the switch.

FWIW, the tuner I used said that the BPV was fine but the 2-port boost control solenoid (BCS) needed to be replaced with a 3-port. Thus, and for other reasons (e.g., the open source definition being completed), I'm doing both and going in for an new tune later this summer.

Is this the best info we have on needing a tune after replacing the BPV? I'm kinda hoping I can replace the OEM BPV with the new Nameless one that I have at the same time that I replace the charge pipe. The quoted text seems to say, "maybe" at best. I don't particularly care about taking advantage of any gains, I just want to make sure that my car will still operate safely.

Is this the best info we have on needing a tune after replacing the BPV?

FWIW I'm the guy that remarked "I don't think so but" and since then, I replaced my oem BPV with a TurboSmart, and boom, I was overboosting..... which seems to indicate that I need a re-tune.

FWIW I'm the guy that remarked "I don't think so but" and since then, I replaced my oem BPV with a TurboSmart, and boom, I was overboosting..... which seems to indicate that I need a re-tune.

Well, unless there's more information others could add, that definitively settles the matter for me.

Have you dialed the preload spring all the way in (stiff) ? I found it was loudest at about 1 full turn out from full pre-load. No compressor surge even at full preload so I went with loudest :)

Right now it's cranked all the way in, no surge. I'll have to try the 1 turn out, I like a little bypass noise!

the ones who are running the GFB mach 2, are yall running the T9133?

Yep that's the one!

You do not need a tune with a BPV if you are running a Cobb OTS map.

It even says so in the map notes. Why would you? It's closed under throttle anyway.

If you are over boosting its because something is wrong, and its not a properly sealed BPV.

The stock one pukes boost. Replacing it means you run lower wastegate duty cycles to achieve the same boost. If you have some other issue causing over boost, then a leaking OEM BPV would mask it.

As far as I am concerned, a BPV is required for proper stage 1 Tuning, OTS or not.

Also, a lot of people don't realize your boost targets on the Cobb maps are relative to atmospheric pressure at sea level, which boost gauges don't measure, unless you are of course at sea level. For example, atmospheric pressure where I live is typically 13.4 to 13.6 psi, so I expect to see 18.5 psi on my gauge rather than 17.5

Plus there is always the low wastegate duty cycle maps if needed.

Hey Brandon, please excuse my ignorance - this post is intended to clarify the record for people reading through these posts.

If you are over boosting its because something is wrong, and its not a properly sealed BPV.

I'd like to hear what others have to say, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a leaky BPV or with tuning a car to account for a leaky BPV. Of course, I doubt it's ideal but probably not "wrong." For example, I assume Subaru knew what they were doing when using a "leaky" BPV. Please correct my if I'm wrong but I believe I read on here that there is Subaru documentation, perhaps the service manual, that indicates that what we refer to as "leaky" is within Subaru's spec.

In other words, if one tunes a car with a leaky BPV, and then an aftermarket BPV is installed that doesn't leak, I don't think their is something inherently "wrong" with the tune or something else as you seem to imply. Instead, the tune was just compensating for the leaky BPV.

The stock one pukes boost. Replacing it means you run lower wastegate duty cycles to achieve the same boost. If you have some other issue causing over boost, then a leaking OEM BPV would mask it.

Right, if that "other issue causing over boost" is a tune that has "higher [changed from "lower"] wastegate duty cycles" to compensate for a leaky BPV. Thus, when a non-leaky BPV is installed, the wastegate duty cycles may be too high [changed from "low"] since the BPV isn't puking boost anymore.

Edited by mcg_
For clarity in response to further comments.

Factory boost is 8 or 12 psi depending on what gear you are in. So its not terribly leaky on the stock tune. Stage 1 and its utterly junk.

Lower wgdc means the wastegate is closed less, I.e open more ie you turbo is more efficient and generating less heat and will carry boost to higher revs. If your bpv is leaking then it would require a much higher wgdc to maintain the same boost pressure.

If you had a terribly leaky BPV, and a custom tune that compensated for it with increased wgdc target, Then yes, fixing tthe valve may make you overboost.

Cobb OTS stage 1 maps have no such problem.

Factory boost is 8 or 12 psi depending on what gear you are in. So its not terribly leaky on the stock tune. Stage 1 and its utterly junk.

Lower wgdc means the wastegate is closed less, I.e open more ie you turbo is more efficient and generating less heat and will carry boost to higher revs. If your bpv is leaking then it would require a much higher wgdc to maintain the same boost pressure.

If you had a terribly leaky BPV, and a custom tune that compensated for it with increased wgdc target, Then yes, fixing tthe valve may make you overboost.

Cobb OTS stage 1 maps have no such problem.

Do USDM guys get Si-Drive? We have it here in Australia.

I can select between 3 maps on the fly using Si-Drive. Stage 1 I can change between 8psi, 13psi, and 16psi (19psi in 1st and 2nd gear) maps as I drive. It's fun surprising people at traffic lights :)

We use an Accessport for that, which also lets our cars to be tuned pretty easily. JDM types can get one through Prova.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/cobbprova-accessport-at-tsukuba-hyper-meeting-2010/

Yeah I must admit, I'm jealous of the Accessport. I haven't been able to find an equivalent for AUDM models

Still torn between two BPV hybrids:

I want a hybrid BPV that partially vents to atmosphere to get more sound. I can either get the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PQ164O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Turbosmart Dualport[/ame] that's 50/50 recric/vent for $175 or the GFB TMS Respons Adjustable BPV for $280.

I'd rather be on the safe side with the GFB BPV that I can customize the vent/recirc ratio.... but in all likelihood I'd have it at 60%recirc/40%vent.

Is paying $100 more for the GFB worth it to put only 10% more air recirculating?

Still torn between two BPV hybrids:

I want a hybrid BPV that partially vents to atmosphere to get more sound. I can either get the Turbosmart Dualport that's 50/50 recric/vent for $175 or the GFB TMS Respons Adjustable BPV for $280.

I'd rather be on the safe side with the GFB BPV that I can customize the vent/recirc ratio.... but in all likelihood I'd have it at 60%recirc/40%vent.

Is paying $100 more for the GFB worth it to put only 10% more air recirculating?

I have the GFB installed. I installed mine out of necessity because my stock BPV was leaking. I run my GFB on full recirc and it's still plenty loud enough.

I have the GFB installed. I installed mine out of necessity because my stock BPV was leaking. I run my GFB on full recirc and it's still plenty loud enough.

Unless it's noticeably louder than stock I would just do the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PPXGH0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Turbosmart Kompact[/ame] and save $164 over the GFB adjustable one if I was to do full recirc.

How much louder is your GFB set to full recirc than the Stock BPV?

Unless it's noticeably louder than stock I would just do the Turbosmart Kompact and save $164 over the GFB adjustable one if I was to do full recirc.

How much louder is your GFB set to full recirc than the Stock BPV?

I can't compare against anything because I haven't met any other local GenV owners with an aftermarket BPV.

My GFB is loud enough that I get people looking at me from the sidewalk, and the last time I drove next to one of my friends (who owns a V8 with a reasonably loud exhaust) he thought that my BPV was set on VTA :rolleyes:

Not sure whereabouts you are around Milwaukee, but you may be able to hit up Jackal and see how his setup sounds (Turbosmart Kompact, presumably full recirc), although I'll bet having the BPV higher up in the engine compartment due to the RacerX charge pipe will change things a little. Might hear a couple other happy sounds that could distract you, though...

I have the turbosmart Kompact which is a stock replacement so yes full recirc it sounds just like it did with the stock one. I don't hear anything other than some spooling and engine revving. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I also don't drive with my windows open usually.

I have the turbosmart Kompact which is a stock replacement so yes full recirc it sounds just like it did with the stock one. I don't hear anything other than some spooling and engine revving. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I also don't drive with my windows open usually.

I don't think youre doing anything wrong, I've got a TS kompact as well and I was also concerned by how quiet it is because I got one with my Rx charge pipe and replaced my GFB mach 2 which pretty much always went off and I'd say it was pretty loud for a BPV thats 100% recric. I did some research and everyone seems to say that the kompact is silent so I'm sure it was just designed that way

I don't think youre doing anything wrong, I've got a TS kompact as well and I was also concerned by how quiet it is because I got one with my Rx charge pipe and replaced my GFB mach 2 which pretty much always went off and I'd say it was pretty loud for a BPV thats 100% recric. I did some research and everyone seems to say that the kompact is silent so I'm sure it was just designed that way

Ok now THIS is good info. Ideally I wanted full recirc so it performs 100% like it was designed to and the only reason I wanted a partial vent to atmosphere was for the sound. If the GFB Mach 2 has a much louder sound than stock even on full recirc then I might get that over the Turbosmart Dual Port.

Anyone have any sound clips of GFB Mach 2?