LegacyGT.com

Which BPV to Choose?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Just FYI to anyone who doesn't already know**

Our stock peak boost levels are between 8 and 12 psi depending on what gear we're in. This video [link below] shows that even at 8 psi our stock BPV is already leaking. Not the biggest deal if your car is stock, but Cobb stage 1 boost targets are 15 psi for 91 octane fuel and 17psi for 93 octane fuel. At 15 psi our stock BPV is leaking like a sieve, as seen around 1:15 onwards in the video.

What this means is that our turbo has to work that much harder to maintain the same pressure leading to higher temperatures, premature turbo life and other nasty business some of the more knowledgeable people could explain.

Edited by LGTMKE

Fun fact regarding replacing the stock BPV: It used to be that in the winter time, when colder than about -10C, I couldn't reach more than about 13 psi even at 93-octane stage 1.

With the Mach2.. no problem. Its target boost at part throttle, easy. Also, the BPV seems to get louder as the temps drop, for whatever reason. Good shit.

Fun fact regarding replacing the stock BPV: It used to be that in the winter time, when colder than about -10C, I couldn't reach more than about 13 psi even at 93-octane stage 1.

With the Mach2.. no problem. Its target boost at part throttle, easy. Also, the BPV seems to get louder as the temps drop, for whatever reason. Good shit.

I noticed this too, I get a nice report when shifting now. McLovin' it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Given that we have a stock BPV there is not much difference by upgrading. The main benefit is that the stock one can leak boost. An aftermarket one is a much needed upgrade as soon as you start pushing past stock boost levels. Heck it is even a good idea at stock levels. Once you get the factory one out you will see how cheap it appears to be.

Given that we have a stock BPV there is not much difference by upgrading. The main benefit is that the stock one can leak boost. An aftermarket one is a much needed upgrade as soon as you start pushing past stock boost levels. Heck it is even a good idea at stock levels. Once you get the factory one out you will see how cheap it appears to be.

This.

GFB claims that their BPV's help slightly reduce turbo lag because of their TMS system which essentially leaves a few psi in the intake tract. I have a GFB T9033 and it's a definite improvement over stock, but since my stock was leaking anyway I can't really attribute my better response to the BPV.:spin:

Will a BPV result in less turbo lag?

No. Our oem unit is a manifold referenced bpv, and not one of those old fashioned pop off valves that would dump all boost relative to atmosphere.

Same thing. The difference is that aftermarket units can hold much much much higher boost levels without leaking or failing entirely. Also they make fun sounds.

Edited by brandon.mol

• 1 month later...

Those of you with the GFB Mach2 diverter valve (full recirc)....Where do you have your preload adjustment set to?

I just put one on the Fozz and the instructions say to start with the screw all the way in on full preload and listen for compressor surge (flutter). I didn't hear any although I don't really know what it sounds like. Am I good?

I have mine one full turn from being cranked all the way in. i get a nice hiss depending on how hard i push the car. IIRC some had the preload even looser, but I think it doesnt affect performance? The BPV is supposed to open at the same psi regardless of the preload, I think

Same: one turn from the stiffest setting. I can hear it a little when I shift or let off the gas in boost, but it is pretty subtle. Enough that I enjoy it but my wife doesn't notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.....I'm just going to deal with having a noob moment, but is the stock location on our car (2012) not on the top near the intercooler? Is it down by the turbo? I was going to put my Mach 2 in during my lunch break, but could not locate the stock BOV.

I have the GFB Mach 2 (T9133)

Edited by wraedeohed

Ok.....I'm just going to deal with having a noob moment, but is the stock location on our card (2012) not on the top near the intercooler? Is it down by the turbo? I was going to put my Mach 2 in during my lunch break, but could not locate the stock BOV.

I have the GFB Mach 2 (T9133)

Yes, it is pretty close to the turbo.