LegacyGT.com

Which BPV to Choose?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mine one full turn from being cranked all the way in. i get a nice hiss depending on how hard i push the car. IIRC some had the preload even looser, but I think it doesnt affect performance? The BPV is supposed to open at the same psi regardless of the preload, I think

I have the T9033, which is essentially a Mach2 with the option to VTA.

I emailed GFB regarding the preload here's their response for your reading pleasure:

Hi Josh,

The spring pre-load for the BOV is un-related to boost pressure, so you don’t need to adjust the spring for different boost levels - the BOV will hold as much boost as you can throw at it no matter what the spring pre-load. The spring pre-load is related to the engine’s idle vacuum, so this is really a set-and-forget adjustment, which you only need to change if you do any mods that change your idle vacuum, such as cams.

Best regards,

Brett Turner B.E. (Mech)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey all - here's a little fitting guide I made for mine in stock location: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34135

I have the GFB Plumback Mach 2 T-9133 on my Gen 5 Auto wagon.

Noise-wise, its 2-3x louder than stock (I have the milk bottle/airbox resonator deleted) and nice and wooshy when you give it the gas then back off; for full-recirc its noticeable with the window down.

I've had milk jug delete for months with no issues whatsoever. It's very easy to do so you might as well try it. I really think the only way it'll trigger a CEL is if you forget to plug the MAF sensor back in.

I've had milk jug delete for months with no issues whatsoever. It's very easy to do so you might as well try it. I really think the only way it'll trigger a CEL is if you forget to plug the MAF sensor back in.

Your answer implies you reinstalled your milk jug. If so, what was the reasoning.

^^^ For the milk jug delete, did you do a tune afterwards? Some are saying that they get CEL (Check engine lights) after doing it,. maybe it is just the turbo models.

"Some" ?

Bunk. Its fine. Haul that junk out of there and throw it in the bin!

^^^ For the milk jug delete, did you do a tune afterwards? Some are saying that they get CEL (Check engine lights) after doing it,. maybe it is just the turbo models.

Nah, no tune needed for that. It's a pre-air cleaner noise resonator. Mind you, I couldn't hear any more induction noise after removing it. As it's the same intake and air box on NA models it would probably serve a noise purpose for them.

But as my tuner pointed out, it could allow more cool air into the air box.

But it would probably help release a bit more BOV noise with the new one installed.

Will you get a CEL from removing the milk jug? No. But it can skew your MAF readings a bit.

Has anybody who has had "no problems" actually logged before and after to see? Just because there's no CEL doesn't mean there aren't small problems. Probably nothing big enough to blow up your engine, but running lean can have negative effects over time.

Turbulent airflow can screw up your MAF readings. The stock intake is designed so the airflow past the MAF is as smooth as possible. Removing the resonator/milk jug can add turbulence to the air flow.

Look I really don't think its possible to get significant turbulence (ie: streams of higher and lower air flow) through the air filter as the paper homogenises the flow through it as a function of filtering.

The milk bottle opening is pre and below the filter to help reduce intake noise resonating inside the air-box before exiting out the front intake, to meet drive-by noise regs. As i said earlier, the NA cars usually make far more intake noise, but all Gen V's got the same intake and air box.

Turbo cars with the much longer intake/IC pipe and IC tract with the turbo chopping the air seem to create way less noise.

I have seen some tests (somewhere!) of people removing the Helmholz resonators along an NA engine intake pipe (post filter/MAF) and losing power/torque. They can act in that placement to reduce pressure wave variation and improve cylinder filling from what I have read, though they are tuned to work at certain rpms by their opening and bottle size for side-branch ones and chamber size for in-line ones.

Edited by Muzza03

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Rutch/graphix/smileys/shrug.gif My MAF readings were off a bit when I got protuned with the milkjug removed. Tuner said he had seen issues on many 08+ WRX with the milkjug removed. Was going to try with the jug re-installed, but we decided to go with a speed density tune for other reasons.

Like I said before, it is not likely to cause a catastrophic failure. But running lean and knock can eventually add up over time.

Yeah - that is interesting. I will ask my tuner if he's experienced it, though he suggested its removal initially, and he has very extensive experience in Subaru of all kinds.

I need to log my car as I haven't for a little while and see if there's anything awry.

• 2 months later...