LegacyGT.com

JDM BL/BP5 Headlights?

Zac88

I believe it was done. Search. Not sure if you need JDM bumper but you sure will need to open them up and change the brackets inside the lights to convert from RHD to LHD.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Yes, the pre-facelift lights will fit the '05-'07 USDM bumper (not true for later years). However it would probably make more sense to go the retrofit route with a kit by The Retrofit Source.

Don't you run JDM headlights?

Johndas up here runs real JDM lights in his BP5 wagon. they look great with the factory HID and clear corners with no clip holes to see, but yeah, they should have the cut-off reversed if you don't want to irritate all oncoming traffic at night.

With the brackets on the underside it will bolt right up. The tough part will be the wiring. Just be aware that the OEM HIDs are set up for driving on the left side of the road, so you will glare oncoming drivers (and fail inspection if they test for that in Alberta). Leveling motors are cool, but does it really add a lot of functionality?

With the brackets on the underside it will bolt right up. The tough part will be the wiring. Just be aware that the OEM HIDs are set up for driving on the left side of the road, so you will glare oncoming drivers (and fail inspection if they test for that in Alberta). Leveling motors are cool, but does it really add a lot of functionality?

no not really but my goal for this car is to build it into full oem jdm specB.

I even have power folding mirriors coming.

some people think its stupid but im having fun with the project and I think thats what counts.

Nope. I bought new USDM '06-'07 lights and did the TRS bixenon retro.

Not to hi jack this thread, but how did the retrofit install go? A great many people are having issues with TRS kit from last GB and would appreciate your comments on the installation.

This thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/theretrofitsource-retroquik-hid-retrofit-system-202599.html?p=4475241#post4475241

I don't think it's stupid at all, but it's a slippery slope you are treading. Are you going to go RHD? Import the rear windshield wiper assembly and glass? As a purist I think it would be amazing if you did these things (look up 08Legacy08's Rev.D+ swap for example). As someone who has walked the edge I just offer it out to you that there are other ways to spend the money that are a better "value", although they may not fit your ideal. I'm not going elitist on you or trying to tell you what to do, just putting it out there.

Bixenon shields are 3D bent sheetmetal pieces that may not flip properly from left to right. You might look at importing a set of HIDs from Germany, where they have the correct beam pattern but the same OEM HID options as Japan.

SubOperator, I bought my kit roughly two years ago, before the new revision, so my experience isn't applicable. I did post at length about the kit here, and if you search the thread for my posts you will find ~10 responses.

thanks for the input underdog. I live in Canada so I could just wait 5 years and import a SpecB once they are 15 years old.

What do you mean spending money for better value? Is retrofitting my curent headlights cheaper and easier.

downtime is also a problem since this is my dd. im thinking I could install and wire jdm lights in less then a day.

What do you mean spending money for better value? Is retrofitting my curent headlights cheaper and easier.

When I converted to the JDM front end I was confronted with your exact dilemma, save for the downtime problem. If I was going to put in JDM headlights I would only have bought new units, since used stuff from overseas is a gamble. New JDM HIDs are $1000+ per side last time I checked. Then once you get the lights you still need to flip the shields to make them legal, safe, and useful.

I looked at the benefits of JDM: 1) leveling capability, 2) higher quality OEM HID, 3) the slightest visual differences inside the headlight, 4) the cachet of "JDM".

Then I priced out buying new USDM OEM headlights (<$600 total, IIRC) and a TRS retrofit kit (~$300) and some extra time and money for modifying the housing, custom wiring, and nicer bulbs. Ultimately I decided to go this route with my swap, and I spent the money I saved on a JDM V5/V6 STI front limited slip differential. :cool:

If you buy new OEM lights to modify it side-steps the whole downtime issue.

Hey, how did this go for you?

I personall bought USDM headlights to replace a cracked JDM one I had. Being familiar with projectors i knew what i had to do to get the beam patter. I just pulled it and turn the shield around. Boom. Over and done.

Archived