LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

My bike mechanic tells me I need to change gears before I hit the steep part of the hill I'm climbing instead of during.. me and my fat legs provide too much torque so when the chain is moving it grabs the cog and twists it laterally.

He's also saying the lightweight SRAM cassette uses too thin and light metal so the burlier Shimano would help reduce that.

Wow. Well, yeah, sounds like you might benefit from a beefier cassette. Your riding will improve, however, if you take the mech's advice and pre-shift.

If you poke around, you'll see that the xtr's are pretty darn light, and a few of the sram's are a bit heavier. Neither are cheap. Not sure which cassette your mech is recommending, but it's pretty much impossible to stay on top of the shimano vs sram debate year in and year out. At least for a mere mortal such as myself. One year it's all about sram... the next it sucks donkey balls. I will say, unequivocally, that shimano's brakes the last year or two have been killing it.

My bike mechanic tells me I need to change gears before I hit the steep part of the hill I'm climbing instead of during.. me and my fat legs provide too much torque so when the chain is moving it grabs the cog and twists it laterally.

He's also saying the lightweight SRAM cassette uses too thin and light metal so the burlier Shimano would help reduce that.

you looking ahead and anticipating what's coming up? if you are, then you wouldn't be shifting on an incline. only time I do that is when the gear i've picked is not enough or too much. if I do have to shift I keep pedaling but take the load off the pedals and shift into the right gear.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I agree with what was said above, read the terrain and shift in anticipation of the trail changes ahead. Has anyone here used an eno hub or excentricker bb to convert a bb30 bike to single speed? I am not really interested in having a new wheel built just to change my gearing setup.

Looking to replace my '10 575. SB-66 or Transition Covert or ... other? 27.5 Altitude? Stumpy Evo? Any feedback on these rides and others greatly appreciated. I've ridden the SB and the Tranny, but only for a mile or two each. Thanks in advance.

I am actually also curious as to how these 27.5 (e.g. 650b) perform..

Chalk up another person wanting to know how the new 27.5's ride. The idea of them is very appealing, kinda get a little bit of the best parts of the 29 and the 26. I saw the release of the 27.5 Santa Cruz heckler on pinkbike.com, boy is that think sickkk!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/22/a9u6yve7.jpg

Went riding up at the Trexlertown game preserve today. For those of you that live near enough I would definitely suggest getting up there. It's easily one of the best places around to ride! They have some really awesome downhill sections that run through big banked berms and rollers and all kinds of fun stuff. If anyone is going up and needs directions, where to park, or what parts of the trail to ride, let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a lightly used '12 Trek Marlin the other day to get back into biking. I used to ride a single track by my old highschool years ago but had stopped. Decided biking would be easier on my knees then running is and it is so far. We'll see once I start hitting the trails up again, only done some light trail riding the past couple days.

The only thing(s) I don't like about it so far is that the front brake sucks, it works but its not grabby enough for me. That and the pedals suck, my feet slide around every once in a while. Might have to swing by my LBS and check out some platform pedals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/null-15.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I'm a long time road rider, but been getting back into MTB the last year or so. Kinda curious what pedals most of you guys are using, platforms, or clip-ins?

I've only used platforms on the MTB but am very used to clip-ins on the road, any advice?

Shimano SPD's are pretty much the go-to around here, although there has been quite the trend back to platforms + tacky shoes. I guess it's all part of the 6" trail bike/enduro thing driving the sport right now.