LegacyGT.com

2010 cold air intake

Looks like a good start! How come you need something for the bottom? Wouldn't the fender liner be there? And must be the lid is too small?

Just noticed that Cobb's filter is oiled. Kind of a bummer since I don't want to deal with oil. Probably could find a dry filter that would fit though...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a good start! How come you need something for the bottom? Wouldn't the fender liner be there? And must be the lid is too small?

Just noticed that Cobb's filter is oiled. Kind of a bummer since I don't want to deal with oil. Probably could find a dry filter that would fit though...

Whoops yeah only meant something for the side to cover that hole my bad. Pretty sure the liner and the skid plate would be covering that up. Lid fits now, box needed trimming for the duct thing to fit. Probably could just throw the Cobb lid on but it just needs to work for now and ill pretty it up later haha.

Yeah little bummer but like you said, you can probably get a dry and swap it whenever

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Sm00veM00ve, I know you had DP issues, but can you comment on how tuning went for the intake?

i don't believe he's tuned for the intake right now. he's been out of commission for the upgrade so he was going to get it all tuned at once.

Hey, so just to clarify, this intake set up works 100%, however I have this going on along with a bunch of other boltons so I won't have separate "gains" that I can attribute just to this intake since like Rip said, I'm getting tuned all at once and had turbo issues.

Don't have any sound clips of it either since it really only did like 2 pulls and I was standing in back to get exhaust clips haha :l

While I do think the mishi box could have been used, it would have needed to be modified for the mounting points as they're slightly different from the 15+wrx to our cars, and I'm pretty sure the oem boxes have different part numbers too compared to the oem intake hoses which share the same exact part number with us. The 08+ cobb boxes fit well and all the mounting points lined up without any issues. Biggest thing I'll need to correct is the lid and getting the fitment for the intake duct better for the lid. Cut a little bit of the top, it must have shifted when I went to get the duct because after it looked like I didn't need to cut it at all.

So tldr: haha everything worked and the setup is complete, I would recommend just using the cobb box if you pick up a 08+ sf intake because it'll be easier and you wont need to potentially cut up a pricey air box, save ya some money

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, so just to clarify, this intake set up works 100%, however I have this going on along with a bunch of other boltons so I won't have separate "gains" that I can attribute just to this intake since like Rip said, I'm getting tuned all at once and had turbo issues.

Don't have any sound clips of it either since it really only did like 2 pulls and I was standing in back to get exhaust clips haha :l

While I do think the mishi box could have been used, it would have needed to be modified for the mounting points as they're slightly different from the 15+wrx to our cars, and I'm pretty sure the oem boxes have different part numbers too compared to the oem intake hoses which share the same exact part number with us. The 08+ cobb boxes fit well and all the mounting points lined up without any issues. Biggest thing I'll need to correct is the lid and getting the fitment for the intake duct better for the lid. Cut a little bit of the top, it must have shifted when I went to get the duct because after it looked like I didn't need to cut it at all.

So tldr: haha everything worked and the setup is complete, I would recommend just using the cobb box if you pick up a 08+ sf intake because it'll be easier and you wont need to potentially cut up a pricey air box, save ya some money

Hey bro, so just to clarify, all I need to do this is just the 08-14 WRX SF intake kit with air box right? The 15' silicone is optional, but not necessary correct? What specific modification will I need to do to make it fit?

Yup any 08-14 wrx/sti intake should work since we have the same maf housings. pretty much just need the maf housing portion and a filter and you're all set. Yup a friend just runs the cobb intake with the stock oem intake hoses. They just seem kinda restrictive so replacing them with free-flowing mishi hoses seemed ideal, figured I could get a little more sound out of it that way too lol.

Box and everything should fit without issue, only thing I ran into was getting the plastic duct piece to sit nicely, though something ended up shifting and it appears that the cut we made for the lid/sides actually might not have been necessary, you'll just have to see once you mock it up. We also didn't have the radiator shroud/other plastics on at the time either. Then since I couldnt get the filter support bracket to work, we just used some wire to secure it up and prevent it from moving around. Once I get the leggy back I was going to make a better cover/etc. so if you have any questions then just let me know, I can take more pictures or whatever to help ya out

Yup any 08-14 wrx/sti intake should work since we have the same maf housings. pretty much just need the maf housing portion and a filter and you're all set. Yup a friend just runs the cobb intake with the stock oem intake hoses. They just seem kinda restrictive so replacing them with free-flowing mishi hoses seemed ideal, figured I could get a little more sound out of it that way too lol.

Box and everything should fit without issue, only thing I ran into was getting the plastic duct piece to sit nicely, though something ended up shifting and it appears that the cut we made for the lid/sides actually might not have been necessary, you'll just have to see once you mock it up. We also didn't have the radiator shroud/other plastics on at the time either. Then since I couldnt get the filter support bracket to work, we just used some wire to secure it up and prevent it from moving around. Once I get the leggy back I was going to make a better cover/etc. so if you have any questions then just let me know, I can take more pictures or whatever to help ya out

Thanks bud, I called my tuner today and he said a retune for COBB's SF intake is needed, but I really don't want to spend another $300-400 in tunes for an intake... -_-

Yeah their price went up to $250/hr, takes roughly 1.5hrs to get setup on the dynapak, get some runs, and then some fine tunes on the road. And there isn't more parts, only thing I can do right now on top of the intake is flexfuel kit which will require EBCS, injectors, and another fuel pump upgrade. Since my torque is already around 350, it will have to be limited there and the small power gain alone probably wouldn't be worth it. Another concern is going further beyond 19psi once I'm on e85. I'm also at 109K miles, so with all these variables, I should just enjoy the car as is, but it would be nice to get intake. Maybe I can get away with not tuning? lol

Ah I see, I'm actually in the same boat looking towards the future, flexfuel is definitely on my list to get but I'm not gunna use the delicious tuning one, gunna wait for Cobb to come out. I should be set since I did all my fuel upgrades over the winter..though maybe I should have went with the dw300 instead of the 65c for little more flow, but with e85 I should be able to get a good amount more whp since I'm running out of octane on 93 haha. You'd pick up a good amount of torque too. When I overboosted to 25psi I was making 465wtrq, with e85 I'd expect around 500 in my area on a low mustang dyno. Think my target is around 22psi right now, my tuner said he doesn't push to much more especially if its only on pump for the EJ's until theres some beefed up headstuds at the minimum, if I was doing that I might aswell drop in STI or better cams, and forged internals haha.

I mean you could probably get away with it, prolly run rich though. Maybe ask and tell him about the intake and see if he could do a etune sorta thing?

With power goals like that, you'd better hope aftermarket '15+ WRX gearsets come to market around the same time as Cobb releases flex fuel support for us...

Also, I really want flex fuel.

Ah I see, I'm actually in the same boat looking towards the future, flexfuel is definitely on my list to get but I'm not gunna use the delicious tuning one, gunna wait for Cobb to come out. I should be set since I did all my fuel upgrades over the winter..though maybe I should have went with the dw300 instead of the 65c for little more flow, but with e85 I should be able to get a good amount more whp since I'm running out of octane on 93 haha. You'd pick up a good amount of torque too. When I overboosted to 25psi I was making 465wtrq, with e85 I'd expect around 500 in my area on a low mustang dyno. Think my target is around 22psi right now, my tuner said he doesn't push to much more especially if its only on pump for the EJ's until theres some beefed up headstuds at the minimum, if I was doing that I might aswell drop in STI or better cams, and forged internals haha.

I mean you could probably get away with it, prolly run rich though. Maybe ask and tell him about the intake and see if he could do a etune sorta thing?

COBB already forgot about us lol, they aren't going to make anything for us. My tuner say that they've tuned cars with DT's kit, it works fine and I don't think the result would be any different than COBB's FF. Btw, every builder that I've talked to has told me that we really shouldn't go beyond 350wtq, our tranny is a 5 speed design that just wasn't meant to take that much. I'm currently at 350wtq on Cali's 91oct, so that is why I'm not sure this much work is worth the minor power gain. Also when you start going to 21-22psi, won't the head start to lift?

Yeah I'm just not a fan of how the DT system works and neither is my tuner. He was also telling me that the system should support most of the EJ's and that we could probably work something out tuning wise once I got the hardware, eth sensor etc. That's all way in the future so I'm not that worried about it now haha.

Headlift my tuner as I metioned usually sets the boost around 20-23, anything from ~24+psi he's seen lift which is why we were talking about beefier studs. And yeah I would definitely need at least blastplates or something eventually if I run huge trq, though now it's holding up well, I also don't beat the crap out of the tranny either. Usually comes down to how you drive and how the car is tuned, the tune is everything :]

If you guys decide to go with any flexfuel solution, please make sure to consider fuel lubricity.

There are some good E10-E85 lubricity modifiers/additives out there that will help keep your fuel pumps, fuel rails, injectors and engine happier.

That would be ideal if e85 was plentiful in my area, but it's not lol. Closest one would be an hr-ish away which I wouldn't mind driving to, stocking up, then using whenever I wanted to be in racecar mode haha. The tuning is what takes the longest for flexfuel, atleast doing it properly.

• 1 month later...

Got the Cobb SF installed on my car a couple weeks ago and have begun tuning. Haven't had a chance to get the box in yet. I'll try to get some detailed pics of what needs to be modified.

Sounds absolutely glorious paired with the Turbosmart BPV.

That would be ideal if e85 was plentiful in my area, but it's not lol. Closest one would be an hr-ish away which I wouldn't mind driving to, stocking up, then using whenever I wanted to be in racecar mode haha. The tuning is what takes the longest for flexfuel, atleast doing it properly.

Just make sure you use a metal container because e85 will eat plastic over time. Also make sure to store it in an air tight container.

• 1 month later...

Did this last week, forgot to upload a pic. I had some others during install of the modifications but seem to have lost them. I can undo the cover and duct if anyone wants to see. I covered the hole on the driver's side with plexiglass and had to open the duct hole a bit with a hack saw. Little more modification than anticipated but doable.

Dirty night time engine bay pics:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160825/d07ca4a0586e1c0abc461e91ddfb6be3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160825/6a668adc57b678b91865c729f3816176.jpg

Archived