LegacyGT.com

My Project ForeSTAR 2. Baja FOZ!!!

Hey all. So some of you may know that I had been building a pretty sick time attack/ autocross Forester over the last year and a half. Due to some changes in my life I can no longer really store a race car that I would only be able to use a handful of times a year. So I decided to change the direction of the build and go for a more practical offroad type Forester. Of course being me I can't just do anything a little but and since the chassis is already stitch welded I might as well go big. So I sold the suspension parts off the Foz to help pay for all the new goodies. I bought an 01 Forester to get the interior, un gutted doors, hood, and harness for the new and improved Foz so once my new foz is just aboue done I'll be rolling in the 01 to strip it of the parts I need and then have a yard sale.

Heres a pic of what she used to look like...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/ForeSTAR/Forester269.jpg

Okay so at least to start this isn’t much of an update. I have 3 cars in my shop because I am no longer allowed to have them stored outside so I am getting one of them finished this weekend and maybe even the other if all the planets align so the shop will just be Foz time by next week…

Here she is all stripped out of all her go fast road course goodies…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/BajaFoz001_zps26390d52.jpg

And yes thats supercharger is part of this project... :)

In a side room I have consolidated all of the parts I am going to re-use from the racecar project and a few new ones…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/BajaFoz002_zpsbd719de1.jpg

Got me the parts for all the joints for fabricating the suspension components…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/BajaFoz003_zpsf7421dbd.jpg

In the back are ¾” Hyme joints with non tapered spacers for the upper and lower control arms. Next are 1” Uniball joints with non tapered spacers for the rear trailing arms. Going to use a 1”x5” bolt for these suckers they are major overkill but why not.. Next are 1” Uniball joints with ¾ tapered high misalignment spacers. These will be going in the knuckles. In front of them are 5/8” hyme joints with ½” tapered high misalignment spacers for the steering tie rods. I will be pulling the stock inner rod and replacing it with a bracket that will bolt onto the end of the rack so I can use a solid 3-piece link. And finally at the front are some little baby ½” Hyme joints with 3/8” tapered high misalignment joints to be used as the end links for a rear sway bar if I need to install one..

Next are the po-go sticks…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/BajaFoz004_zpsd3588a14.jpg

I’m pretty proud of these. FOA 2.5” Dual Rate Coilovers w/ remote reservoir, heat treated viton seals 10” of travel for the fronts 16” of travel for the rears.. The fronts are 28.5” extended and 18.5” compressed. Rears are 40.5” extended and 24.5” compressed. I won’t be ordering the springs till they are installed and I can get all the measurements down to get the correct rates.

So before I can really do anything I took a bunch of measurements before the Foz got boxed in and got all the dimensions of my new suspension parts. I will be doing a 7” extension of the front knuckle (sleaving/ pining the CV axle) so I can get a full range motion of travel of about 21” in the front and rear. I am building the parts in CAD so I can have the pieces cut from a plasma router so I don’t have to go through a bunch of time and cut off wheels doing it myself and I can verify all my measurements for the cycle of the suspension with no issues down the road.

This is what I finished last night…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/FOZSUSPENSION01_zpsb52152e6.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/FOZSUSPENSION02_zpsc0b0e816.jpg

I got the knuckle and the upper and lower control arm pretty much finished. I got to make a few minor changes but ones the rest of the components are done I can lay all the components out on a flat surface and just hand the file to the metal shop to cut them out.

Here is the last part of my efforts last night..

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/FOZSUSPENSIONDIA01_zps36a9f84b.jpg

This shows the cycle of the suspension to verify that it will work. It will give me the location to mount the top of my Coilover (which will probably be poking out of the hood…). To save weight and the need for a longer Coilover I am mounting it to the upper arm. I have seen it done many times before and this should work nicely. It also keeps the Coilover high in the wheel well so it won’t get battered by rocks and mud and crap so hopefully it will last longer between rebuilds.

Tonight I should have these arms finished and have the rear trailing arms done as well. The sooner I can finish everything the sooner I can get them cut and assemble them. This weekend I should be able to actually start on some of the work for the fox trimming the front chassis for the new parts and extending the crossmembers so I can get the full motion of the axles w/o hitting or needing to notch the frame rail. It will also give me a good 4” lift so I can fit the 33x12.5x15 I'm putting on here.

That’s all for now..

Johann

Hey all.

So its CAD work day part 2. Got the front arms and knuckles finished. I had to make some minor changes after measuring a couple things I forgot to the first time around. Then it was time to start on the rear.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/FOZSUSPENSION03_zps014ed8c6.jpg

The rear suspension system is commonly used on Baja buggies because they have a rear mounted engine w/ CV axles and obviously IRS. I adopted the same system to work on the Foz because it also has CV axles and IRS. These trailing arms are super simple and super burly over the stock 6 arm system. This arm will mount about 8” in front of the trailing arm stock mounting point and is 52” long. Nice long throw to work with my big ass po-go sticks. There will have to be a custom super beam welded to the chassis to mount them but it’s also nice because now I can concentrate the bulk of the strength in the chassis around the cab. The rear rails and Crossmember will now only have to support to the weight of the diff and a few other things, and not hold up the weight of the rig and all the torture I am going to put it through. Here is the pic of its throw.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/FOZSUSPENSIONDIA02_zps3c67033d.jpg

You can see I have some room left in the shock so it’s working well within its range of motion. This is also with the 21” of travel that the extended CV axle will allow before it binds. It’s about a 2:3 ratio on the shock in the rear, whereas it’s more of a 1:2 ratio on the front. Now… The arms were chosen for 2 reasons. One is the reasons is stated but as you can probably tell 52” is pretty long. About 32” longer then the stock trailing arm. That is because I am going to be moving the rear diff to the end of the rear frame rails about 24” back and the wheel will follow. I have always wanted a Subaru Baja… I liked the versatility of having a full 4 door cab, and a bed in the back but I couldn’t get over the fact they used a Legacy front end… No other truck really has IRS and I think this would be the perfect time to try it out. I have the Foz shell and if it doesn’t work out (it will) I can just scrap the truck part and use the 01 shell I am currently driving. With that said here is the concept of the side profile of my idea…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/BAJAFOZCONCEPT_zps412a2d95.jpg

Pics are of the truck at estimated normal driving height and at full compressed to make sure my tires won’t rub and there was enough ground clearance so it wouldn’t be scraping because the tires could go higher then the body. As some of you may have noticed it has similar chunky fenders like my exploder. Sticking with them because I can make them easily and use nice thick steel. I also think it will look sick. I’ll be relocating and welding the hatch just behind the rear seats. This will give me about 12” between the bottom of the seats and back wall to mount my batteries and a 10” flat sub. The seats will also still be able to fold down. In the back is a 5 foot bed that will be comprised of a square tub frame and aluminum sheet metal with that grip tape stuff over the top. There will need to be an exo cage that runs from the bolstered rocker panels up over the top to mount the upper shock mounts and allow for mounting my rack and light bar. Also there will be a small roof spoiler that will also serve as a mounting point for my Aux lights and third brake like. I’ll prolly put a set of turn signals up there too. Side ducts are not just for looks they will serve as cooling for the radiator and ac condenser that will be mounted below the rear glass at the front of the bed. This will allow me to run a super steep angle on my front bumpers skid plate and with no Rad up front give me a lot more room to make a nice strong front bumper support. It will be enclosed in a mesh cage to keep it safe from crap I throw in the bed. There will be 2 fill points at the radiator itself and a custom one on the coolant crossover pipe bolted to the short block. I found out that you can reveres them and they will still bolt on so I’ll run hard lines tucked in the tranny tunnel to the Rad in the back.. The ac lines I will be taking the stock ones and extending them at the flex hose points to get them to connect to the condenser. Full size 33” spare in the back with a swing gate. It will take up a bit of my bed but I am going to make the swing gate line up with the floor so if I need more room I can pull the tire off and get an extra 33” of length. Taillights are some cool looking LED taillights off a Ford Raptor because the stock forester lights suck and aren’t a good shape for a squared off truck bed. Light bar will have 6 27w LED fog lights w/ a spot beam pattern ad there will be an addition al 4 in front of the grill. I also have a set of 2.5” round headlights I’ll be putting under the headlights with HID in both them and the headlights for good lighting when the fogs are off. Color will be 2012 Shelby GT500 blue w/ semi gloss black hood, roof, and side graphic w/ gloss black highlights. I think the color will look sick and the addition of the black will break it up some.

This will also allow me to make a custom gas tank that can run from under seats to the diff 2 feet farther back and with the engine, tranny and diff crossmembers dropping 4” the tank will have a flat bottom. Should fit about 45 gals of fuel so nice long distance endurance runner.

Well that about does it for my update… I’ll have the CAD work finished up and all the pieces laid out for the plasma table this weekend to hand of early next week. I am hoping I can get the modifications done to the crossmembers and maybe even have the chassis of the Foz cut and prepped for the front suspension and the truck conversion. I have 2 other cars that need to get done before that to make room so we’ll see how far I get. I’ll have pics Monday of my progress and of all the bits I haven’t take pics of.

Johann

Very interesting. In for more.

Did you ever finish the Zombie-Explorer? I lost track of that thread...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Johann,

I say this about almost no one, but one day when I grow up I want to know what you know, and to do what you do. You have every skill I wish to possess, and the ability to execute.

Best regards,

David

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thanx that means a lot. I learned everything from just doing. Its the only way to fly. Everyone and their mother can tell you how to do something or how they think you should do something but at the end of the day the guy that says "been there, done that" is the only one you should listen to... lol You wouldn't believe how much I still want to learn I am a long why from where I want to be as well...

Johann

Yeah, the rockers are getting some major improvments and the sides of the tunnel will as well. The super beam that will hold the trailing arms will tie in to the rockers and the main rear hoop and front front/ middle hoop of the exo cage will also tie in and be the mount point for the rear coilovers. There will also be upgrades to the rails and a small tube frame to hold all the underplating for the smooth bottom. I know when I am done it will be stronger then any frame over truck but there is no way I can make it as strong as the tube frame trucks but I don;t want to run tubes in the interior and compramize the safty of my passengers. If I go for full Baja i will strip the interior

Johann

So I realized today that a should be thankful that I know how to use CAD so well. I had to break all the suspension pieces apart and lay them out so the plasma table can cut them all out... I am pretty glad because if I had to do this by hand I think I would have given up pretty quick. This file is going to save me at least 100 cut off wheels and about 70 hours of work....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/FOZSUSPENSIONPLASMA_zps5fd9fb74.jpg

Didn't really realize how many pieces it was going to take to make this crap and cuting it out of 12ga steel will be a breeze.

Johann

why go with all of that plate? assembling stuff of that design (the gusset-slot-baseplate type) is a nightmare to weld. Why not just get some burly-ass tubing bent and gusset it from there? it will be just as strong and about 10 times faster to assemble and weld

I'll post this first...

2.5" hydraulic Bumpstops with 4" of travel.. Far and away from a block of rubber.... :)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsf644c97f.jpg

So.. There has been a slight change of plans... What I thought was going to be a nice couple months to use the shop in a house that would never sell turned in to a "the house has an offer and I need to be out by the end of the month".. So, with that said this project is not getting canned but there needs to be a couple changes. I am obviously not going to have time to finish all of this project in the 2 weeks I have before I have to move. So... the plan is to get as many of the parts as I can fabed and swapped in to the Forester I have the runs as I can. I'll be doing the wheels and tires because they are already here, extending the CV axles to the same width as the Baja Foz needs, and I will be making a less burly but comparable set of front upper and lower A-arms. I will be making brackets to convert the stock 05 STi knuckles in the front to work with a double a-arm suspension and I will be extending the rear suspension with some whitline control arms. Custom modded trailing arms and a custom upper control arm using pieces from a damaged set of whiteline control arms. For the suspension I am going to take some stock STi struts and springs (because they are stiffer) and basically turning them into shocks by mounting a Hyme ball joint on the bottom of them and attaching them to the upper arms. I am going to do a 3:2 ratio so I will get a bit more travel but for now its only going to be about 10-11" I'll be making the bumper, fenders, lightbar per the specs of my Baja Foz so I only need to do it once and probably some cool looking flares in the rear. I probably won't have room for the Foz shell to come with me so I will probably have to do the truck conversion to the shell at another location or wait till I have time to do it to the Foz I have. I can build the super arms at the new place and just get another set of the mounting hardware for the Hyme joints and swap over later when I have more time. So this is going to be a balls to the wall quick version of a long travel setup that I can bust out in the fastest amount of time possible.... After that I can go back to working diligently on the actually Baja Foz but the more parts I can swap into my new Foz and get fabed the less parts I have to move and find space for....

So with that said Sunday I got one of the cars I was working on out of the shop and reconfigured the other and got to work.

Got the Front, Tranny, and Rear Crossmembers Extended. 4" Body Lift I guess you'd say. Got the tranny and the shortblock from my dummy engine in there so that I could fab up the front and rear suspension and make sure the driveshaft fit. I'll be taking all the parts out of this as soon as they are finished and swapping them into the other Foz so I am going to make these as much of a bolt on as I can.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsdb2ac27f.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps50943c9d.jpg

So when I ordered all my joints from balistic they send me 12 of these cool water jet cut skulls. No idea what I was going to use them for untill. BAM gussets....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps8f445eb6.jpg

So tonight I will be making the lower A-Arm and working on the rear suspension. I am waiting for a blown set of stock lower knuckle ball joints so I can stick another bolt in them like I did with the race Foz so I won;t be able to finish up the front suspension till I get those.

More to come.

Johann

Hey all. Well I had a killer weekend in the shop. I got a crap ton of stuff done. Let’s get started.

Started off by finishing the front lower a-arms. Had to make a custom rear arm bracket using the stock rear a-arm point and make it lower. Cut the front Crossmember and used the front stock point and then added a gusseted rear to fit the front Hyme:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps79883237.jpg

Mounted:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsaee47451.jpg

Then I worked on the knuckle. For the lower mount I took a stock ball joint and cut the sh*t out of it and welded a grade 8 ¾” x 5” bolt to it for a super stud. For the upper mount I took the ears off a set of blown STi struts and welded a bolt point to the top of it. The nice think about this is that I can adjust the camber with the upper camber bolt just like you could from the factory so I won’t have to waste time taking off the arm and running the Hymes in and out. Then I worked on the upper a-arm. This is using mount points off the risers of the Crossmember. Nice and sturdy after some gusseting and it makes the kit a complete bolt on with no invasive surgery on the chassis except for some notching of the frames pinch weld.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpse79a19f5.jpg

On Friday I got the call my wheels/ tires were here. Baller! Got some 15x10 -50mm offset (yes negative 50mm) on some 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak tires. Got 5 to have a full size spare. 5.5” of lip and the beadlock is functional if you replace the ring with one that lips over on the tire. I’ll probably won’t upgrade till I actually blow a bead I don’t plan on airing down much. I just think if I jump it might be nice to have it for impact blow-outs…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsd04b3799.jpg

Next was to test fit. I did all my measurements. I knew what I needed extend the axle out to get the desired amount off travel but once I saw it with the tire on the wheel the spec of my vision really came into prospective.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps89c70a05.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps49a94562.jpg

This is by far the widest Forester in the world. Front wheel base measures out at 86” across from the outside of the tire treads. The first 2 pics kinda show it but this pick really shows the scope of my insanity…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsf9e8df67.jpg

Front flares will be 17” from the top the fender by the hood. I’ll be running the flare into the middle of the front door with some ducting on the side so the door will still open. It’s going to look pretty sweet given the ideas I have floating my head.

With that done it was game on for the rear. The make issue I had by not going with the truck idea was that I was worried about all the cutting to the rear quarters I would have to do to get the 33” tires to fit. I was totally right and the biggest issue I saw when I got the tires home and stuck one up there was the rear door. So I needed to get the wheel to drop back a bit… So I took the rear Crossmember and ran the front bolt from the stock hole to the extra mount point in the middle where you would put a sub frame lock bolt. This gave me 3” which was perfect because now I can just use a 5-speed driveshaft with my longer 6-speed tranny and I get an additional 3.375” in length. I’ll pick up the .375” with the angle of the center pivot…

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps866e873a.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps507aa33e.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpsb738d5ab.jpg

Then I made the lower control arms and trailing arms to get an additional 3” of rear spacing so the rear axle angles back a bit but its pretty minimal angle.. Trailing arms is 33.5” long and control arms are 23” long… Upper control arm is made from remnants of a bent set of whiteline control arms and it mounted to the upper hole of the hub. The Coilover will run from the stock strut tower to the trailing arm in front of the knuckle.

Total tally for travel came to 17.50” of front travel and 13.75” of rear travel. It’s not the 22” I was hoping for but that was with a totally different type of suspension system. I think its plenty for now...

While I was finishing up the opposite sides of the suspension parts my buddy Philip (run forester run) stripped my 01 Foz down for the transplant. Once he was done I started by getting the front x-member/ tranny/ and dummy block into the new Foz for its final resting place... My actual engine is waiting for a couple parts to come in before I can assemble it so I put the dummy block in there to locate the tranny so I could finish extending the axles in the new Foz.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps67168525.jpg

Nice lit up pic of front suspension:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps6867f8f0.jpg

Next was to start prepping the new Foz for Coilover action… The first step was to cut out the stock strut towers to make room.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps77e6e2f2.jpg

Tonight, I will be making and installing the front Coilovers. If I have enough time I will try and swap the rear suspension over into the new Foz as well... This week after work I will be focusing on finishing the install on the Coilovers and bump stops to I can verify their movement and get them charged. Spring are on order now that I know where they need to sit so they should be getting here this week so this weekend I can set the Foz on the ground under its own weight and check out the ride a bit. I should be getting my parts to finish my engine today so I will be assembling and installing the engine at some point mid week probably. Also I will begin the fab work for making the fenders for fitting these massive tires. Any resemblance to a stock Forester will be gone….

Johann

I didn't really like my whiteline butchered upper control arms... They too short and I have hymes everywhere else. Also that long unsupported part at the turnbuckle looks weak... Just ordered parts to make them bullet proof like the upper front arms... Should have the parts Thursday so I can bust them out and install them when the rear suspension goes in but I can still use the old arms to fab my flares...

Ordered the springs.

Going single rate in the front. 3" wide/20" long/ 500lbs rate

Going dual rate in the rear. 3" wide/14" long/ 600lbs rate tender, 3" wide/ 18" long/ 750lbs main

Should give me 30% droop in the front and 40% droop in the rear. So the front will be higher in the rear (about 3”) so I can hit the crap faster and be more stable like the Baja trucks. Went a little higher rate then needed for its weight because I wanted it to sit a little high for wheelin, and have a slightly stuffer rate so it would be more street able. I would prefer not to put a sway bar in it but I might have to it leans too far. The exploder was alright and it looks cool when you lean way over taking a fast corner cuz it freaks people out... Its not like its going to flip over….

Ordered a mushimoto rad for it as well and some 10mm spark plug wires. The universal one I ordered for the truck conversion to go in the rear won't really work in the front for ground clearance cuz it was huge but the Mushi should be adequate for this motor even after I supercharge it..

Next up (not sure if I'll be able to get to it till after its running) is a 150amp high output alternator, new headlights, and new high output LED headlight and driving light bulbs.. Then it’s off into the sunset with this build.

Johann

Good morning all.

Got a late start last night (had to deal with some moving arrangements) but I got a couple hours in the shop at least. Started cutting all the pieces and figuring out my new front shock towers. In order to get the full range of travel (17.5") out of my baby 10" travel coilover, I needed to mount it high in the tower so the arm wouldn't bottom out till the tire just touched the underside of the upper frame rail. This meant that I needed to mount the upper joint of the coilover about 7" higher then the old stock struts mounting point. So yes for those of you wondering these are going to stick about 4" above the hood line and yes I will be cutting holes in the hood. Should look cool right? Anyways, it took me a bit of time to iron out in my head the best way to build these bad boys so I got one about 70% done and cut all the pieces out for the other side as I went along. Here is what I had by 9:30 when I turned in for the night...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps23004161.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zpscc214e30.jpg

The plan is to actually mount the reservoir cans going the other way but I need to notch part of the new tower so I can slide the hose through but I don't want to cut it till it’s finished. I am going to be welding in a permanent strut bar to share the load of both towers (unibodies are flexy) and mount the reservoirs in the middle above my tranny.

Here is a pic of my holding the shock as close to its final resting place as I could (heavy...)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x223/badwagon/Baja%20Foz/image_zps0936065f.jpg

Should have the towers and coilovers mounted by the end of the night tonight. I am hoping there might even be enough time for me to start pulling the rear suspension parts out of the ForeSTAR shell so I can finish welding a few parts and start designing my new upper control arms. I have decided to mount them inside the void of where the crossmember used to be when it wasn't dropped 4" and go from a 12" arm to an 18" arm. Should make my suspension cycle a little better and it will ease up the angles on the hub at the bottom and top of its stroke and if I do it right I should be able to get the full 17.5" of rear travel in the rear as well. The 13.75" is only because of the limitations of the lame *** upper arm I have in there now but time was against me and I didn't think I would have time to do another till after I moved. I have decided I do so I'm doing it... Not sure when I am going to be able to get started on the exterior parts I am hoping I will be done with suspension and Drivetrain by Friday so I can focus all my weekend efforts on encasing my tires...

More to come tomorrow.

Johann

Please post a few times in the other sections so you can get a post count and not have to have us approve every single one of your posts or threads you make because you are at 0 post count.

Also in regards to your car. Having the shock tower top like that seems like a possible weakpoint as you are really counting on all the welds to hold the forces rather than spreading the load more even by adding a cross bar or 2 down to the other side?

Archived