LegacyGT.com

KartBoy STS & front bushings install.

SO I was trying to install my newly acquired Kartboy STS (and using this very helpful writeup) and got down to the dreaded snap-ring removal step. I grab a pair of snap ring pliers and started in. On my first attempt one of the "heads" of the snap ring busts off! I hardly had any pressure on it - must have had a crack or defect in it. So now there is only one "eyelet" on the snap ring and I can't figure any way to get the damn thing out of there. Anyone have any suggestions? Obviously the snap ring pliers are now pointless. I can't find a way to compress the ring AND keep it from sliding around in there.

Any ideas?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
try to get one side of the snap ring up enough to get a small screwdriver wedged under that part. then, using another screwdriver, place it against the other side of the snap ring and make it so that the snap ring can't rotate while you use the screwdriver to go around and under the edge of the snap ring all the way till you get the whole thing off.

What about getting it back in? Should just have to squeeze it together and slide it in, right? Or should I look to replacing the damn thing? I can't see any issue with it being broke like that, but I can see it has to be there so leaving it out isn't an option.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks MUD for the writeup. Very concise and made my install a breeze. I'd already installed an AVO STS but needed that extra bit more, so I went for the front shifter bushes too.

With your writeup it only took around 40mins taking my time and cleaning the area up before putting the new bushes in. I used some teflon grease on the stud before I threaded the bush on.

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is something I noticed during my install however I didn't think too much of it, but in my car the two halves of the Kartboy bush pushed in flush against the metal link/arm no worries. I.e. I did not have to tighten the nut to squeeze the two halves together.

Furthermore, even with the washer pushed as far in as possible there is still a gap between the washer and the bush, about 2-3mm. Accordingly when the nut is done up the whole bush and metal link/arm can slide side to side by about 2-3mm. (see pic)

I don't know if I am imagining it but sometimes when I drive the car the shift is so smooth and easy to get into each gear. Some other times I miss gears or I have to try a couple of times to get into a gear. Reverse is quite hit and miss it sometimes takes 3 to 4 tries to get in. I wonder if it's a symptom of the side to side movement of the link/arm?

Regrettably I did not measure the width of the stock rubber bush and the width of both the Kartboy halves put together.

17102009087.jpg.3c7ea7bc2903e25d7a4b53e8c0e4a4c8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Just installed this, took about 45 min fighting with the snap ring. I love the feel of it however I notice that 1) I hear a fine vibrating noise, that appears to be just transmission noise, but louder than before. Does this shifter transmit a little noise better? At first I had some vibrating from the touching the metal plate so I grinded that down, but I still hear a slight vibration, more so when you rest your hand on the shifter in gear. Also 2) it feels like gears 1-4 have shortened up nicely but 5th is still a good reach, anyone else notice this?

• 4 weeks later...

Used this post as a guide. It got me through just fine. I had mine installed in about an hour.

2 things:

1. I HAD to grind the plate down. no way it was clearing. I used a milling bit and it chewed through very fast and clean.

2. You will never get rid of ALL the vibration through the Kartboy. The factory shifter is 2 piece with a rubber insulator between the two, vs the kartboy 1 piece design.

I got mine from a seller on google and paid $99.99 shipped.

• 1 month later...

You'll need snap ring pliers to be safe. I've done needle nose before but they just don't grab into the holes as well as true snap ring ones do.

You can get cheap basic ones at any autoparts/hardware store.

• 4 weeks later...
great write-up, came in very handy. I didn't flip or cut the metal bracket, as some others have stated my 1st gear didn't rub or really seem that close to rubbing. Snap ring pliers made it easy, I got lucky and my snap ring went right back in in about 2 seconds. As for that front bushing it's a mean bitch, by far the hardest part IMO was removing the old bushing from the linkage, but overall fairly straightforward and simple project! Can't wait to see how the new KB feels!

It only took me 15-20 min. to swap out the STS. I have a great pair of clip pliers and everything went smoothly....until the install of the front bushing...I'm not sure if it was the temp, or that they've enduered many snow salted roads, but my bushing took 2 hours to get out. I could not get it to budge. Tried the bolt method, muscle, yelling...had to eventually start hacking at it with some wire cutters and finally got the damn thing out. I'm not sure if they feel noticable softer (stock bushings) compared to the new ones to everyone else, but mine were just as stiff. It did make a big difference. I love how the shifting feels. Solid I guess is the best way to describe it. I'll eventually get the rear bushings too, but not for a while...

^I had the exact same problem with mine, had to pretty much destroy it to get it out

Hmm...looks like we're both in UT and had the same porblem :eek:...coincidence?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did this install a while back, liked the write up alot. But during the process, I ended up snapping the upper oring on the seat that the end of the shifter sits in while fighting with the snap ring.

Managed to just seat the snapped oring back on and pop the assembly back in with the new kartboy installed and didnt seem to be a problem.

Lost a little of the oem grease thats in that area during the install, but didnt have any lithium grease to replace it at the time so the assembly went back in the way it was (still with a decent amount in there mind you).

My question; is it necessary (or would it just be a good idea) to pull the assembly apart, replace that upper oring, and regrease the whole area?

The car has been off the road since last october and is just about to be back in the next couple weeks (after 9 months of searching for all the the stg 3 parts I was looking for), but I never really got to drive it with the new sts in there.

car slips into gear without a problem from what I can tell, and reverse isnt too bad to get into either surprisingly.

Archived