LegacyGT.com

KartBoy STS & front bushings install.

Thanks agian for the great writeup! Swapped it out today. Took all of 30mins... that included degreasing all parts and putting new grease on it. Your instructions made it a walk in the park! U da man!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
for those of you that have installed the Cobb STS, do you feel any vagueness in shifting into 2nd or 4th? I extended the bottom ball as far as it will go without hitting the metal in the front left corner, but I don't see how 2nd and 4th gear will be affected.. any input anyone?

• 6 months later...

It's been said many times, but thanks Mud! I'm used to being the one to post these how-tos (previously on IWSTI.com), but it was a true pleasure to be able to utilize someone else's who took the time and care to document the process. Had that sucker swapped-out in under and hour.

Stayed home from work with a sinus infection, today . . . so the front bushings will be waiting until I feel better. But damn, what a difference the STS made! :D

• 4 weeks later...
This may be a dumb question, but will the bushings help alleviate the vibration that I get while just cruising around the shifter? The shifter doesn't feel as solid and precise as other cars I've driven and its making me worrisome; I already have a Cobb short shifter, will the bushings help?

The effect's additive/synergistic - on both sides of the equation.

What increases "directness/feel" will also unfortunately increase harshness/vibration (and to an extent, even noise, to the extremely sensitive).

The front's typically changed-out first, or as the sole modification in this area. The rear is typically tackled as a simultaneous modification/upgrade, or not at all.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, I contacted Kartboy about the vibrations and he told me to use a thicker grease and torque down the pivot to 10 lbs. Well, I switched to wheel bearing grease, very sticky and thick and torqued down a bit. It's better, but I still get a vibration at around 4k rpms. It's especially annoying above 80 mph. Suggustions?

• 1 year later...

just wanted to say thanks for this writeup. just threw in my kartboy sts today and it was easy. took me less than 30 minutes!

there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of grease down there though, and someone asked this earlier on. what kind of grease is the stuff that's in there? it seems to be very thick and very sticky, which means i really can't use the cheapo Coastal stuff i bought from autozone years and years ago.

also, i appear to only have one of the white fasteners that holds the rubber gasket/shroud down (bought my car used.... who knows where it went). anyone know where to get a replacement?

30 mins? Geez it took me 1.5hrs :confused: Everything went pretty smoothly, but I didn't flip the plate. I tried to but i couldn't figure out if the instructions meant i should flip it 180 degrees (end over end) left to right, or 180 degrees spin from front to back. Neither way seemed like it would fit without removing the rear bracket that attaches near the cupholder, so I did what someone else suggested and left the top left bolt a little loose just in case, but everything seemed to clear just fine for 1st and 2nd. I'll drive it for a little and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the awesome walkthrough! It definitely helped me in my first STS install. :whore:

i think what you're supposed to do is spin the bracket around so that the top left corner now becomes your bottom right corner, because of that angled cut being in the way for 1st/2nd. i didn't bother doing that because it seemed to clear the plate just fine.

and yeah, only about 30 minutes. maybe 45 at most. i'm pretty mechanically inclined. :)

honestly, i have to say that i had actually expected the throw height to be lower than what it actually is with the kartboy so i'm mildly disappointed.... it's an improvement, but not as much as i had hoped. at least the throw lengths are shorter.

still waiting for my momo shift knob to arrive. i have the stock full leather one right now. i hear the knob lowers the height a tiny bit too so maybe that'll be better.

That's what I thought too but if you flip it around what do you do about the metal bracket that screws in right in front of the cupholder??? It's pretty large and welded on to the plate.

But yeah mine cleared just fine even with the angled top left corner. Still have to do the front bushings though. That's on the schedule for later this week. :lol:

did the front bushings. okay, let it be known on this day that i suck at reading directions. i completely missed this part of his writeup:

I basically used the bolt itself (the one the bushing slid off of) to move the lip of the bushing inside the bushing housing….then using some strength to use the bolt and push the bushing as far out the other side as possible.
for some reason, it didn't click in my head that the stock rubber bushing is one piece and that you have to force one side out through the housing to the other side. so for about 15 minutes, i was prying on one side with a large flathead screwdriver trying to get one piece out, then i would pry on the other side, undoing all my work :lol: i finally ran back into the house, pulled up this page, and reread the above carefully and when i did it the way he described, it came out within a minute.

also, i think i need ramps... or a better floor jack or something. the i have here isn't cutting it... not enough height.

as for feel, i haven't had a chance to really drive it yet. i shifted through all the gears while the car was sitting in the garage and it does feel different, but i don't know yet if it's in a good way. also have to see if there's an increase in NVH.

I tried and tried to use the bolt to get the lip of the bushing inside the housing and couldn't get it to go through. I finally just resorted to pushing the middle of the bushing, next to the hole, with the bolt until i could get a pliers to grab the other side and rip it out.

• 1 month later...

So the weather has been cooler lately (50s, 60s) and I noticed a squeaking coming from the shift area between 1-2. It only does it when the car's cold, and when things warm up a bit, it no longer does it. At first I thought it was the rubber boot (under the leather one) but after some investigation, I determined that the shifter was rubbing against the rubber of the metal plate.

Here's a picture of where it rubs (not my picture... I just took the OP's picture and photoshopped an arrow on top of it).

Does anyone else get this? It's very minimal, so as a solution, I put some grease where it rubs and it appears to have stopped.

rubbing.jpg.60a209a4e6e6da8018eb6c67116b648b.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Very nice write up! I've enjoyed my Kartboy for about 2 years nowthanks to the write up. One question though. When I installed my SS, I accidently ripped the rubber shroud (it's explained in step 4-5). Anyone have any idea on what the part number for that is??? Reason being without that shroud there's an insane amount of engine noise coming into the cabin.

Archived