LegacyGT.com

KartBoy STS & front bushings install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write up! Just installed my Kartboy STS, and took it out for a spin. Much better feel. I too didn't grind the plate or turn it around. I can't really feel the linkage touch the metal plate, but during the install, it looked like it touched ever so slightly in first gear. I figure through time, the slight touching will go away with use. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

That snap ring though is a PITA! But once it popped into place, it was like the sky cleared, sun came out, birds started chirrping, and all was right with the world. I finally ended up using a flat head screwdrivier to guide the closed end of the ring into where it needed to be, while using the pliers at the opposite end.

^ The bushings just tighten things up a bit. :)

Once you get the stock bushings out, you'll see how soft they are, and that translates into some imprecision.

However, with this new "tightening," you'll also get more transmitted NVH. The noise part is truly minimal - I do hear slightly more gear whine, but that's again mostly isolated to 1st and 2nd, as usual. However, vibration and harshness does go up quite a bit - the stick now transmits enough vibration so that you can literally "feel the power" in your closed fist.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

MUD, thanks for the awesome writeup....I was not going to do this myself until I read this thread....your walkthru made it look so easy, and it was....took this novice about 45 minutes....had the laptop in the passenger seat out in the garage with the thread up....

my toughest part was getting out the plastic bushings from the OEM shifter lever....I ended up holding the lever horizontally and wedged a flathead SD with butt on floor/worktable and head thru bushing shaft touching inside of plastic bushing....then hit the lever downward, popping the bushings out....also, I just loosened the upper left bolt on that metal plate to allow a little more height for linkage clearance...trying to rotate that thing 180 degrees seemed too difficult...just my .02..

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

• 1 month later...

TSi+WRX, you mentioned some increase in NVH with the install of the kartboy STS and front bushing. Just wondering if anyone has noticed a dramatic increase in NVH in all gears with the onset of cold weather? Mine has definately increased to the point my wife mentioned it (not good). It actually makes this gear noise when the tranny is disengaged and the engine is idling going 70mph so gear selection is irrelavent.

I figured the cold weather may have stiffened up the bushing but it was stiff to begin with, but I have not proven that by listening for the difference once the tranny is good and hot (usually tuned into a song).

Is there a known issue with the MT making noise in cold weather?

Thanks Mud for your great write-up. I followed your instructions and everything went smoothly. I also installed the bushings and I was able to install them removing only the nut. I used a hole punch tool to stab the softer OEM bushing and dig it out from the "nut" end. This happened quite easily and I did not have to revove the cat heat-shield or anyother pieces.

When installing the shifter, I was not able to rotate the metal plate guard because it is welded to the brace that proctects the heated seats wiring. I tried 1st and 2nd and there was no contact.

So far so go, and I also don't have any more vibration than I had with the stock shifter, which was not that much to begin with. I really love the feel.

Very precise and positive.

Thanks again.

Topspin

Oh wow.... I completely stepped past the fact that I posted this up!

Sorry gents!

Glad I could help you guys out!

The reason I dropped the heat shield is because I have big ol' bannana hands and no desire to cut myself up!

I'm thinking next is going to be the STi tranny mount! I'm gonna knock out the rear bushing (yeah... I'm lazy) when I do the UP/DP install next weekend!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Definetly awesome write up. I got my Kartboy shifter for Christmas and installed it this morning. Took maybe 45 min and i was definetly taking my time to make sure it was good. Its the first time i have ever done anything like this. Zero issues.

The clearance on the metal plate seemed ok and i didn't need to rotate that piece around. The hardest part for me was actually getting that rubber cover back in the right location and secured down. It seemed to sit higher than with the stock one.

As far as how it feels....Awesome! I'm wondering why i waited so long to get one of these. No bushings on as of yet, still running the stock ones. I may change those out later on, but thats a pain for a rainy day. Otherwise this thing kicks ass! It was MUCH shorter than stock. I was very positively surprised.

Thanks MUD!

WalkerLGT -

Good point....I can visualize that happening, as from a "sheer reason" standpoint, it definitely seem possible.

However, at least by the threshold of my perception, as well as the wifey's, I've yet to notice a cold/hot difference - and if the wife has noticed it, she has yet to say anything about it.

Sorry I can't help more! :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the incredible write-up Mud. I just did the kartboy bushing install as my Cobb STS wasn't here yet. Naturally, as soon as I got back from the test drive, it was sitting on my porch :icon_bigg

I notice a very small increase in vibration when my hand is on the stick...especially under WOT. I do not hear any extra noises in the car and cannot feal any of the vibration. So far so good. I'll be installing the STS tonight and will find out if that increase the NVH.

On a side note, the install took less than an hour for front and rear bushings from jack up to jack down. A huge help was my tiny little girl hands. I swear I didn't have to even loosen the heat shield. I just bent it a little out of the way and got both hands in there and everything came off really quickly.

See you Sunday at the meet Mud...thanks again.

Chris

FYI... the new Cobb STS instructions recommend that you trim the extra metal from the inside front left corner of the metal plate to make the opening square. I did this fairly easily with a bi-metal blade in a recip saw. It definitely allowed me to get the throw shorter with less binding.

Definately worth a 60$ investment at the local Lowes or Home Depot for a Dremel tool kit!

BTW: Don't get the cordless... as friends and I have had troubles with them.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

• 1 month later...

I posted this separately, but FYI, the Kartboy LGT STS fits perfectly in the STi STS linkage. Another poster said that is because the STi linkage is the same as the regular LGT linkage and that the only difference between them is the shift rod. I can't confirm that. I can only confirm that the Kartboy fits.

Below is a pic of the Kartboy rod compared to the STi rod, and pics of the Kartboy installed with my SWRT titanium knob. BTW, I think the SWRT knob matches perfectly with the Kartboy STS. I'm sure a Kartboy knuckleball would as well.

Also, thanks, MUD, for the excellent instructions. Like MUD says, the snap ring pliers are MANDATORY. At first I tried installing the rod "old skool" style (with a hammer), and it just doesn't work due to the fact that the sphere at the bottom of the rod is much bigger than the sphere at the bottom of the WRX rods.

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/data/8248a99e81e752cb9b41da3fc43fbe7f/1289_p42620.jpg

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/data/8248a99e81e752cb9b41da3fc43fbe7f/1289_p42637.jpg

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/data/8248a99e81e752cb9b41da3fc43fbe7f/1289_p42639.jpg

mud :

thanks for this. mine came without any instructions. i surely would have been lost. i haven't wrenched in a while and it took me two hours including a trip to acme auto to pick up a replacement o rind. i snapped it during removal.

i thought the front bushing were actually fairly easy about 20 min for that .all in all a good way to spend a sat morning and certainly better to have the bens in my pocket rather than the dealer.

ps do the rear bushings make that much of a difference?

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to say thanks for the great write up. I installed the STS last year, but finally got around to the bushing last week. The instructions were a big help in locating the shifter bushing under the car..

• 5 months later...
rather than posting a new topic on this is there anyone out there that would happen to be able to or has a side shot of the kartboy STS that i could look at. tried searching but was unable to find a side shot. wanted to compare it to the COBB adjustable and be able to compare the difference between the two. thanks.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Mud thanks for this awesome W/U with pics!

rather than posting a new topic on this is there anyone out there that would happen to be able to or has a side shot of the kartboy STS that i could look at. tried searching but was unable to find a side shot. wanted to compare it to the COBB adjustable and be able to compare the difference between the two. thanks.

I should be getting the kartboy delivered any day now. I'll post some pics up for you.

I'll try not to forget...:(

• 2 weeks later...

Some more thanks coming your way Mud! Your writeup made me realize how easy this would be to do on my own.

I bought the STi STS with Subaru bucks and did some research and found that the linkage is the same. So, I simply swapped out the main rod and put that in just like what you'd do with any aftermarket STS.

Amazing what a difference a little less leverage makes on the feel. A bit notchier and harder to get into gear for sure. May take some getting used to. I'll use it as is for a while and may upgrade the bushings at some point. We'll see.

FWIW, the MOMO knob you can get from Subaru is shorter than the stock knob. I swapped those out about a week ago and there's definitely a difference. I didn't take a picture, sorry.

Anyway, here's a pic comparing the stock shifter to the STi STS. You can see it's a bit shorter as well. Not as short as the Kartboy though.

Cheers!

-Ian

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to specify which is which. The STi STS is on top, stock below.

PA190002.jpg.576426d7106fe40ed43bf5a2345a8e3c.jpg

Archived