LegacyGT.com

Koni inserts built with '13 OEM housing

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a 5th gen?

I am assuming you are asking me? Yes, I do. It is listed under my avatar as a 2011 LGT Limited. I used to have a 4th gen back in '04, that I sold in '08.

Here are my most recent measurements: Koni WRX inserts (front WRX 09 struts) and RCE 5th gen springs:

FR 26 1/2"

FL 26 1/4"

RR 27 5/8"

RL 26 7/8"

Not sure why my rear right is so high, in comparison. I don't think that it is assembled wrong, but I may pull it out anyways, since my dust boot came loose and fell to the bottom of the spring. :spin:

Are they leaking or just getting worn out?

They still work great but have a slight mist of oil around top of the inserts.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Here are my most recent measurements: Koni WRX inserts (front WRX 09 struts) and RCE 5th gen springs:

FR 26 1/2"

FL 26 1/4"

RR 27 5/8"

RL 26 7/8"

:spin:

Mine:

fr 26.75

fl 26.5

rr 27.25

rl 27

Looks like you are getting 1/2" difference FL/RL like me.

Not sure how you got jacked on the RR...Are you absolutely sure you have the correct Koni part? Did someone send you the wrong part? Can you measure the spring perch to bolt hole and see if it is the same between RR and RL?

Just thinking out lout...

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Are you saying the the legacy OEM housings are smaller diameter than the WRX OEMs?

It's only a guess because the housings that I got which is suspect of being from an outback is narrower inside than the KYB WRX housings I used.

Now, here is another thing that I can't confirm. I can't confirm Inside Diameter of KYB WRX strut versus OEM WRX strut. One would think it's the same, but I can't confirm.

OEM for legacy is:

20310aj07a L???

20310aj06a R???

The OEM numbers were posted by GTEASER a while back. But, I hadn't checked when I ordered from Subaru and ended up with the wrong parts.

The wrong struts I used were:

20310aj10a

20310aj11a

I'm guessing the wrong ones were outback. Maybe someone can confirm.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Intarwebz say Outback.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Intarwebz say Outback.

Great...thanks fahr_side. I guess I have a set of built outback koni front struts if there are any takers...:lol:

If someone wants to pick these up, they can have them. Just buy a set of koni rears for the wrx, put some 1" or whatever height collars on there to raise the spring perch, and you've got konis for your outback?!?!?!:dm:

Great...thanks fahr_side. I guess I have a set of built outback koni front struts if there are any takers...:lol:

If someone wants to pick these up, they can have them. Just buy a set of koni rears for the wrx, put some 1" or whatever height collars on there to raise the spring perch, and you've got konis for your outback?!?!?!:dm:

That is quite nice of you. :wub:

I measured my ride height again with trunk full of work stuff and the rear is not too much higher than the front. But I do need to raise my headlights, as they are too low now. Did you yours yet?

That is quite nice of you. :wub:

I measured my ride height again with trunk full of work stuff and the rear is not too much higher than the front. But I do need to raise my headlights, as they are too low now. Did you yours yet?

Haven't touched a thing. I didn't really take much notice of the headlights.

If someone wants the struts, let me know because I don't need the outback struts wth konis. Note that one of the bolts is stripped, but that was at 50ft/# torque with loctite blue. Spec says 55ft/#. The other bolt is fine and is at 55ft/# with loctite blue. As is...no warranty expressed or implied. It's free.

Posted in classifieds.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ca-outback-struts-konis-south-bay-area-207398.html

Lee Grimes should make you an honorary VP of R&D or give you free dampers for life Frederik.

Lee Grimes should make you an honorary VP of R&D or give you free dampers for life Frederik.

You are too kind...;) But, please do put in a good word for me....:lol:

I read in a Koni thread on NASIOC that they are having the same 1/4" to 1/2" height drop in the front on 11+ WRX's when using 09 donor struts. Apparently there is a different part number for 2011 wrx struts and the spring perch is indeed higher than previous years (09/10). Maybe one could purchase 2011 wrx donor struts to eliminate the extra drop in the front and even it out?

I would have to agree with that, especially for you folks with the 3.6R, since the front is definitely heavier than the 2.5i or LGT. I would even play around with using the Outback strut body to get even more extra length, for a more even all-around ride height.

I read in a Koni thread on NASIOC that they are having the same 1/4" to 1/2" height drop in the front on 11+ WRX's when using 09 donor struts. Apparently there is a different part number for 2011 wrx struts and the spring perch is indeed higher than previous years (09/10). Maybe one could purchase 2011 wrx donor struts to eliminate the extra drop in the front and even it out?

Note the WRX got a wider track when it went widebody, so not only are the spring perch locations different, but the lower mounting bolt holes in clevis will be different too. Running '11~ struts on an '08~'11 GH/GE (and presumably a BR/BM) will result in less available negative camber.

Ah, excellent info. When you say "less available negative camber" do you mean as far as for adjustment? I don't anticipate ever running any negative camber in the front (minimal if I rub for some reason with 245/40/19).

From my quick searching, the 2011 wrx struts are 3 times as expensive as 2009's, so maybe not a good alternative.

Ah, excellent info. When you say "less available negative camber" do you mean as far as for adjustment? I don't anticipate ever running any negative camber in the front (minimal if I rub for some reason with 245/40/19).

From my quick searching, the 2011 wrx struts are 3 times as expensive as 2009's, so maybe not a good alternative.

Yes. The later struts are made to accommodate the wider track in the later WRX. The bottom of the struts will be further apart than on earlier models. If they used the older struts, negative camber would increase. To get the same adjustment range they moved the bolt holes slightly. If you put the later struts on the earlier body, or a car with the same LCAs (like the BR/BM) you'll end up moving the adjustment range in the positive direction. It may not be possible to get the usual -1* we usually can from the original struts.

I exchanged a few texts with Lee prior to going down this road and Koni didn't have any measurements for 5th gen LGT. I'll update him of my progress, maybe even take him out to lunch if his schedule permits. But they are too busy developing more popular platforms where there is sufficient volume for a reasonable ROI.

I exchanged a few texts with Lee prior to going down this road and Koni didn't have any measurements for 5th gen LGT. I'll update him of my progress, maybe even take him out to lunch if his schedule permits. But they are too busy developing more popular platforms where there is sufficient volume for a reasonable ROI.

Lee is a good guy. We had the same issue with development on the GH platform... low consumer interest in modding the new platform combined with global economic downturn did not exactly spur rapid development. Very understandable if it's not high priority for Koni.

Update as requested...

As of 4/28/13

fl 26.5

fr 26.75

rl 27

rr 27.25

As of 5/18/13:

fl 26.375

fr 26.75

rl 27

rr 27.25

FL is maybe a tad lower than before. We're only talking 1/8". Still within spec! :lol:

Or, I may have measured it wrong to begin with:hide:

• 1 month later...
edit: nevermind, just had to dremel out the opening after using the pipe cutter.

Are you using an OEM Legacy housing? And, does it seem tighter than the KYB WRX housing I used?

The way it is fitting looks like how tight the Outback struts were fitting.

Yep, using my 2013 OEM struts as donors. Even after the Dremel treatment the fit was very tight. The walls are much thicker on these struts than the KYB donors. You can actually see where the nubs on the Koni's have deformed the strut walls and pushed them out. They are ready to go now though :)

image.jpg.3c0182adfd62c7306152b085de6af307.jpg

Yep, using my 2013 OEM struts as donors. Even after the Dremel treatment the fit was very tight. The walls are much thicker on these struts than the KYB donors. You can actually see where the nubs on the Koni's have deformed the strut walls and pushed them out. They are ready to go now though :)

Excellent! The inserts are supposed to be a very tight fit... that's what stops anything from clunking in there.

For those who follow.... no matter how tight the inserts are, do not hammer them in via the top nut (the flange on top). You WILL damage them and they WILL leak. It's normal for some of the paint on the insert to be scraped off during install.

Archived