LegacyGT.com

Koni inserts built with '13 OEM housing

I read this entire thread and haven't really seen any comparisons to any other aftermarket shock options (coilovers, bilsteins) has anyone tried the Megan racing coilovers and if you have can you compare them to the konis? Or any of the coilover options for that matter. I have the Megan's and am pretty happy with them now that I got my alignment but better is always good too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also did anyone have alignment problems with the drop? I'm not sure how low I am right now but it's low I'd guess 2-3" drop, my alignment is pretty good all around except for the rear, I'm 2.5° on the rear. If I keep the Megan's I will have to get lca's I'm wondering if I would need them with konis or not.

Also did anyone have alignment problems with the drop? I'm not sure how low I am right now but it's low I'd guess 2-3" drop, my alignment is pretty good all around except for the rear, I'm 2.5° on the rear. If I keep the Megan's I will have to get lca's I'm wondering if I would need them with konis or not.

The konis are basically adjustable replacement shocks. Your drop would depend on the spring you use. The negative camber is related to your drop (spring) not your shock.

That said, koni makes an excellent shock that can be tailored to aftermarket springs.

They were great with my RCE Blacks, and they are great with gteaser's H&R springs. The adjustment setting is different between the rce and h&r spring.

I dont know megans but I would guess the spring is linear. I believe most if not all coilover springs are linear. This is a different feel than most aftermarket springs that are progressive. It is difficult to compare a coilover setup to a spring and shock setup as the spring is usually progressive.

2-3" drop is pretty low. And a -2.5° camber may be a bit much. If you are keeping your drop you should get adjustable LCA's or some form of camber correction.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

the ride quality and dampening ability of the konis will smoke the megans.

But we are talking 2 different kinds of setups here. the konis are a strut and spring setup with minimal adjustment while the megan coilovers are coilovers with a lot of adjustability.

Hmmm, decisions decisions lol. I may have to try your "konis" sounds very intriguing lol.

Tarmac Zeros are pretty good too. I have those now. Springs are firm, but there is some compliance as the twin-tube shocks have some travel before they bite down.

I wish my post still existed, but I can't find my input to Myles. Looks like the thread got shorter.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-sets-racecomp-tarmac-zero-coilovers-left-1249-00-price-216997.html

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• 1 month later...

I am gonna just share what I think, but I am not guaranteeing anything.

08+ wrx front and rear shocks fit the 5th gen legacy which means they fit an outback. However, you get 1/2" more drop in the front. Also, what are those spring rates?

Looks like you would drop 1 1/4" rear and maybe 1 3/4" front over a 5th gen legacy ride height...which is already at least 2" lower than your ride height.

This won't be the only thing you will end up buying.

hi fredrik, thx for sharing

never mind the Koni sport kit, coz at first i thought the front shock are come with the whole strut body(not the inserts) which can save me some trouble, but not anymore.

i know OB will run into another problem, is the rear will sit lower than the front, coz we can't find the correct rear spring. so the coil over suppose to be the perfect solution for lower the OB. but the thing is i had bad experience with my last car IS300 with D2 coil over. always very easier bottoming out.

so do you have any advice which springs will work better with Koni inserts for my OB?i did think about the RCE Black.

coilover will be my last option(i hate bottoming out). if i have go coil over. I'm also looking at Tein Street Flex Legacy, H&R Street-Perf. WRX or KW V1 WRX. or do u have better advice?

THanks again

You should contact some of our vendors as they may know better about your spring choice.

I like the RCE blacks because they "feel" more linear than progressive although they are progressive springs and the drop is very mild.

You should bite the bullet and do the koni inserts. My page 1 build is with outback struts by mistake.

Good luck....

• 4 months later...
finally.:)

Konis I presume? What springs?

Those spring rates are:

Front 3.77kg/mm

Rear 4.59kg/mm

So...Front 210# and Rear 260#

Approximate Drop:

Front -30mm to -35mm (-1.2inch to -1.4inch)

Rear -20mm to -25mm (-0.8inch to -1.0inch)

It looks like OEM like spring rate but shorter...chance of bottoming out.

Nice! Does the front bottom out at all with the Bils on big bumps?

only have it for four days only, haven't bottom out yet(touch wood). i been driving around in Oakland once.

but it is a little softer than i expect.

Those spring rates are:

Front 3.77kg/mm

Rear 4.59kg/mm

So...Front 210# and Rear 260#

Approximate Drop:

Front -30mm to -35mm (-1.2inch to -1.4inch)

Rear -20mm to -25mm (-0.8inch to -1.0inch)

It looks like OEM like spring rate but shorter...chance of bottoming out.

the rear spring drop more than -20 to -30mm, i think is same as front. but i can tell the spring rate is match with the front.

the rear spring drop more than -20 to -30mm, i think is same as front. but i can tell the spring rate is match with the front.

I forget...isn't there a setting for the rear shock spring perch height?

• 2 years later...

Archived