LegacyGT.com

Starting my first turbo swap!

I put another 40 on it since and it hasn't done it again. Although when i filled my gas tank and started it up it was barely running.. after playing with the gas pedal and waiting a minute it was fine. But I was like WTF?

06 GT - Totalled 😢... to be continued

07 Spec B - Wife took over 🤔

06 i - getting built motor and 6 speed 😁

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theres a guy in New York with a 500+ whp sti hatch with a license plate that says V8BAIT

Yeah he has been brought to my attention numerous times on this site :lol:.

I wonder who had the name v8bait first :redface: I still have to claim my license plate for that.

I put another 40 on it since and it hasn't done it again. Although when i filled my gas tank and started it up it was barely running.. after playing with the gas pedal and waiting a minute it was fine. But I was like WTF?

The TGV deletes can make hot restarts lumpy too

Theres a guy in New York with a 500+ whp sti hatch with a license plate that says V8BAIT

Lol. What does that have anything to do with this thread? Just sayin..

So i thought i would throw up a couple of pics to look at.

So all in all, this...

1681525663_BrokenTorx.thumb.jpg.1ebc16d294dcad2b00daba2beb724ecf.jpg

...turned into this :( which ended up killing pretty much all of saturday for me

flywheel.thumb.jpg.06fb6aba429a50b0f17e98e25e88ad7b.jpg

And these are just a couple of pics i took yesterday morning just to keep everything up to date

1842454847_EngineBay.jpg.e2c0a0070b5d276928fc48b4b74cf6b9.jpg

Morning.jpg.988ae7af15c248cfeae4fa68193dec6f.jpg

and so far shes got about 250 miles on it and is actually running surprisingly smooth now. i havent gotten on it really yet due to still needing a tune. i did hook up my AP and checked a few things. my afr goes lean very quickly. so ive been trying to stay out of boost for the most part. i get maybe a few lbs here and there, but nothing too excessive yet.

The day has finally come to get this thing tuned! I will be posting numbers as soon as I get the results. Wish me luck!

So I put down just over 350whp on 93 and just over 390whp on E85 both at 19 psi. I have to say that I am VERY pleased with the results. Track times this weekend and videos of the dyno and official dyno sheets coming up as soon as I get the email from them.

Yeah you should be good as long as your not running E85. That is a lot of stuff to tackle yourself in such short time, GL.

Also its not ideal to run both LWFW and lightweight pulley.

+1.. I just experienced the difference firsthand this weekend. The PO installed a LWCP, and I swapped out my clutch/flywheel for a lightweight setup. It was extremely difficult to drive, but I got the hang of it. This weekend when I did my timing belt I swapped out the LWCP for an OEM bit, and it was a huge difference. You don't notice the decrease in performance, but the car is much more driveable. Also, having too little rotational mass is bad for the crank bearings. There's a few threads on here talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
so just a little update. i melted a piston, ruined the cylinder wall and im currently getting a new block built with eagle rods, weisco 8.5:1 pistons, custom cams, manley springs w/ ti retainers, killer b oil pickup and baffle tray, port and polish, 1mm larger valves. I decided that im removing the lightweight pulley and replacing it with the stock one. also i am upgrading to 850cc injectors as well. so all in all this thing should be good for quite a bit longer and quite a bit more power! :D new dyno numbers will be coming in about a month!

not exactly. i havent been able to get a good answer. i know the spark plugs in 1 and 3 took a shit. and i was misfiring. i got some detonation in those and really tore up 3. 1 wasnt as bad, but 2 and 4 were perfectly fine. its really odd that it only happened on the one side. but im pretty sure it was mainly because of the plugs.

Yikes man!! Sorry to hear this! What plugs were you running?

I'm in the process of swapping out my shortblock as well...an I know Max Capacity did his not too long ago as well. Hope it goes smoothly for you after the significant investment you're making.

yeah no kidding. i hope so too. and they were just regular ngk iridiums. im going to have one step colders now! im thinking about taking it all the way over to alexx to have him tune it.. and thanks max! i talked to mike a bit and i think you might be right :(

So heres a few pics of the damage that was made :(

IMG_20130407_104613_631.thumb.jpg.be9cd3066f3c36ef11da70ed72022d00.jpg

IMG_20130407_110514_646.thumb.jpg.34ea2f1d87bac47c4d3c5c3d99d63e95.jpg

IMG_20130412_194657.thumb.jpg.5fb93165831c0c4a32c66045b5fce1d1.jpg

And heres a few of the new goodies going inside! :)

_facebook_129874903_.jpg.1357b8a649936279a1d2afda39337c3c.jpg

95facebook95167657317495.jpg.de748ab39077d4186ed5467c90b5b4c1.jpg

This was a rollercoaster thread I was like "aw man sweet parts and tune" then two post later "grenade" then "sweet rebuilt shortblock"

Glad it all worked out i know the plugs looked bad but what about the tune? Do you suspect it had any play in the failure ? Not bashing your tuner/shop/install etc etc

well i put all the parts in myself. a lot of people are saying the tune is a good possibility. but if that were the case i would think it would have affected both sides, not just the one side. but idk for sure. but im having someone else build the motor. i want to be sure its done right. and it hasnt worked out yet. still waiting for the new motor to get all put back together and a new tune. so i dont want to say its all good yet :/ but it is looking that way (knock on wood)

my heads are still good. those are being reused. i might sell it for the right price. otherwise i was going to do the same thing.

Archived