LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Legacy - Suspension Mods

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closest I got was finding that the '10-'12 GT and 2.5i FSBs have the same part number, which should pretty much confirm fitment. The bushing that goes along with that bar in the parts breakdown on parts.subaru.com has a description of "D25", and since the bushings for my 20mm RSB had the description "D19" (they're 1mm undersized to get some compression), that's probably as close as you'll get to confirmation without calipers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am certain that no one has done that.

You guys that know a lot more about our cars suspension, is that a bad idea? I know they were made to work with the rce springs better, but some people have complain about that set up and it doesn't lower the car that much anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally heard back from BuyHardRace on pricing for stuff for our cars. I have another email out to them to confirm this, but I'm assuming these prices are for a pair, as each item is listed on the HardRace website as 2PCS/SET. If that's the case, these prices really aren't too terrible. If these prices are per piece, they're outrageous haha.

Odd note: The Upper-Camber Arms have been completely removed from the site and the links posted above are now dead, but BuyHardRace still gave me pricing on them. :confused:

Rear Lower Control Arm - Hardened Rubber - 7499 - $325.00 - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=967

http://www.hardrace.com/UploadFile/Product/201549135713C5E7MO.jpg

Rear Trailing Arm - Hardened Rubber - 7497 - $206.80 - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=1565

http://www.hardrace.com/UploadFile/Product/20144161791317M9X13QW.jpg

Rear Toe Control Arm - Hardened Rubber - 7495 $189.50 - http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=966

http://www.hardrace.com/UploadFile/Product/20144119113119P11C31FP.jpg

Rear Upper Camber Arm - Hardened Rubber - 7427 - $542.17 - no pics/deadlinks/removed from site.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering if megan 28mm fsb is expensive to get installed?

Megan Racing

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=2347&catid=111

It's just plain old too big. The 26mm FSB is plenty for us. If you need more you're better off going with coilovers with high spring rates.

Send a PM to blklgt05, he just had a shop install a 26mm FSB in his 2010 and can probably give you an idea of cost.

The coilovers are going to throw everything off that bad?...I'm kinda confused. I know installing coilovers will mean I will have to adjust the camber both front and rear "front adjustments camber plate and rear adjustments lca adjustable camber. But I only thought the sway bars tightened up the chassis. Is it really that complicated throwing on coilovers that you have to adjust every single thing or is it just a koni yellow are the only way to go thing?. I would think that any upgrade to the pathetic stock suspension would make a huge difference not become a trigonometry class.

Spring rates, bar rates, shock & strut damping, and optimum static alignment settings are inescapably intertwined.

At least two separate things are going on with either bars or springs even in steady-state cornering.

The front vs rear distribution of lateral load transfer usually changes, and with it so do the tire slip angles. The difference between front and rear slip angles is the definition of understeer (and oversteer if you'd prefer to not think in terms of "negative understeer").

Roll is changed, usually reduced at least a little. Ultimately, this puts the more critical outboard tires at a more favorable/less unfavorable camber situations . . . at any given amount of lateral g's. This 'operating camber' won't be what the shop measured on the alignment rack - the body rolls one way, and the suspension can cause the outboard tires to "roll" slightly in the opposite direction relative to the body ("camber gain").

Tire slip angles are not constant - among other things, they vary with vertical load (including that outward lateral load transfer) and on how much lateral force they're being asked to develop. And with the actual camber under those lateral g conditions (which you hope you've improved upon). "Operating" camber on the outboard tires is static camber minus the amount of roll plus camber gain.

Everything affects everything else, or something like that. Transient handling (while the car is in the process of taking a set but hasn't got there yet) is much more complicated.

Norm

Yes, a strut suspension usually does hand you a net "camber loss" (it's why most of the really serious cars so suspended feature such large amounts of static negative camber.

I'm thinking of 'camber gain' as a property of suspension travel rather than the final result. While it's possible to "lose" some negative camber at this level (independent of chassis roll), it would imply either horrible geometry to start with or a horribly lowered car with uncorrected geometry to put it there.

Norm

• 2 months later...

OK...bit of a story here.... I used to work (Previous career) with a guy named Robin.... we played golf and fished together all the time. A little while ago we went on a weekend golf trip and he brought along his friend Dave....nice guy, crappy golfer ;)..... Over multiple adults beverages we discussed all our work lives and Dave tells me he owns/runs a spring and suspension shop near Vancouver.... Mostly trucks & heavy vehicle stuff. They make springs(Coil and leaf) torsion bars, sway bars and all kinds of suspension bits for industrial use........

More bevvys, and I have to ask him... "Dave, if I gave you a sway bar from a car (Mine) could your guys make an exact replica but in a heavy gauge (larger diameter material)??"

He says "Sure...easy stuff, what do you want?"

I tell him about rear sway bars for our cars and how "Good" ones are so expensive in Canada (A Whiteline 22mm would cost me over $400 Cdn)

Long story short.... After we got back home I gave him my 16mm OEM bar and asked if he would make one at 22mm for me...he says they use a common bar stock that is .9"...just about 22.75mm.... All good by me :)

Dave says "Give me a week and it will be $75 if you are happy with it"

Supposed to get it before the weekend so I can install it when I get time and the weather warms up a bit. He says he will modify the OEM bushings to fit.

I will post some pics if it works out well...... I asked and he says "No... he is not going to go into the Subaru RSB business"....sorry guys, looks like it is a one-off :(

Continued sway bar post from above ;)

Got my new "Custom RSB" today.... looks really good...far as I can tell it is an exact copy of the OEM bar...here is a pic of it (Flat black) compared to the 19mm STi bar I have had on the car since new

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/1_zpsbqdio9hs.jpg

Next came the install.... OMG how I love crawling around under my car gouging my knuckles and laying upside down with rust and dirt falling on me:(:(

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/2_zpsd4pf23e4.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/3_zpszrn1tqry.jpg

Took it for a short spin around the neighbourhood ..... Under normal driving I don't actually feel any difference...pitched it pretty hard into a couple of slower corners (It is the city ;)) .... definitely flatter and more neutral ..... dare I say it feels like it would creep to over steer if pushed hard. All happy now..... BTW put everything back together with liberal use of "Anti-seize" goop....should be a lot easier to work on next time....got away with only undoing the left side muffler too :)

As soon as my knuckles and the cut on my elbow heals I am going to put the 19mm STi bar on Scooby Too's Legacy :wub:..... may not even tell her....see if she notices :rolleyes:

Edited by Scooby Fan

• 1 month later...

Scooby Too got home from her trip yesterday...took her car out shopping today. When she got home with the groceries her first question was "What did you do to my car while I was away...it feels different to drive"

Good thing we didn't put any money on that wager ;)

Smarter that we thought I guess?

• 1 month later...

Just talked to whiteline on the phone and the guy confirmed that this kit is available in Australia and other places and that it could be available in the US in about a month. When he calls back I will ask about possibility of the kit being broken up to separate front and rear. I don't know if the rear is any different than the WRX one some people have bought but it's nice to see our car validated as a real model in existence as opposed to only universal parts being listed as available. Let me know what you think or if I should post this in a different thread.

httpwww.whiteline.com.auimagesproductsbsk015.jpg

Edited by A_A_ron
add photo

• 1 month later...

Follow up on previous post. They do not have any plans for splitting the kit up at this time. Their website lists it as out of stock but when I called the guy said he can let me order it through him but it would take some time for some of the smaller parts to get to their US warehouse from AU. I went ahead and ordered it at the time and just now got around to paying for it. Should be here in a few days via fedex. 24mm front and 22 mm rear. I plan to install the front on the stiffer setting and the rear on the mid setting to start out. This will mimic what others have been doing with 26mm front and 20mm rear with a little bias towards the rear.

Side note: I am not sure on how long pricing will last but I was told I had 10% off with the total coming to 566 for the whole set. The same parts from the whiteline.com.au site were broken up across 4 part number and came to a total of 782. While both of these are pricey compared to used and subaru OEM without the bells and whistles I think this kit is a pretty fair deal for the amount of name brand equipment that it in it.

I'm posting here to confirm from another thread and several other posts, aside from the wheel speed sensor mounting locations, are 14 WRX front struts compatible with 5th gen BM legacies?

They will bolt in, but the spring perches on the 11-14 WRX front struts are 1/4" higher than ours, so that will affect your ride height.

Edited by GTEASER