LegacyGT.com

Polarized sunglass users

legacy_y_tu

Quick question,

I'm ordering new sunglasses and want to know if anyone using polarized sunglasses has problems reading the instruments in the car?

I know some instruments, particularly on boats are polarized as well which causes problems reading them.

TIA

No problems here. Sometimes the clock can be harder to read, but just change the brightness level and it is fine. That has more to do with the fact you are wearing sunglasses and not because they are polarized. The polarization doesn't make seeing the gauges any more difficult than if the glasses weren't polarized.

You are never going to go back to non-polarized shades after looking through these. Say goodbye to dash glare on the windshield and any other glare while driving. They are awesome.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I always drive with sunglasses, and in brights days I have a very hard time reading the radio and ACC displays.

I have 15% tint all around, but the LCD's in those displays are week and the contrast with the plastic makes it difficult on bright days and in the afternoons.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Now, I don't know if this is a problem because my glasses are polarized.

I tried it with my normal glasses, and still had a problem, but not as much as with sunglasses.

Once you go polarized, you never go back. I have a pair of Revo's that are the best shades this sunglass-fanatic has ever bought.

Rose-coloured lenses, and 35% tint on the rear windows in the car, and no issues with reading the instruments.

The only issues I have faced are when I turn the headlights fully on during a sunny day and I have trouble reading the trip computer screen, but that is the sun washing it out, not the sunglasses...

LCDs will be unreadable - the reason why pilots can't wear 'em.

Internally polarized LCDs will be unreadable. Such as an iPod display. Many, however, are perfectly readable. For instance, the LCD odometer in my car is perfectly readable.

Depends on the angle you are looking at it from. Just have to play with it. :(

He said "Play with it". Sry, back on topic. I had a pair of Oakley Polarized E-wires and could read the gauges just fine. I dont look at the "central information display" (you like that? Like Janitorial Engineer. =P) too often so i cant voice an opinion on that area.

The only issues I have faced are when I turn the headlights fully on during a sunny day and I have trouble reading the trip computer screen, but that is the sun washing it out, not the sunglasses...

Is it because the instruments dim? You know the button about the display button that kind looks like * returns them to normal headlights-off brighness.

Washed out LCD's??? - In our cars???

If I lived in the "Land O' Eternal Grey Cloud Overcast and Rain", then washed out LCD's and Sunglasses would not be much of a problem.

Unfortunately, I am one of those f-ing poodle pokers living in paradise - a place where the sun is always shining and the Bimmers roam free.

As you can see, our LCD's wash out quite easily at noon:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/iyamdman/Dash-2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/iyamdman/Dash-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/iyamdman/Dash-3.jpg

Is it because the instruments dim? You know the button about the display button that kind looks like * returns them to normal headlights-off brighness.

Correct- it is because they dim to pseudo-night mode.

I had no idea the star flake buttin made 'em bright again. Thanks bro. My day is now complete!:)

Washed out LCD's??? - In our cars???

If I lived in the "Land O' Eternal Grey Cloud Overcast and Rain", then washed out LCD's and Sunglasses would not be much of a problem.

Unfortunately, I am one of those f-ing poodle pokers living in paradise - a place where the sun is always shining and the Bimmers roam free.

Are you calling Vancouver the 'land of rain'?:lol:

Not that you're incorrect, mind you... Where is "Planet Subie"?

When I think of an American paradise, I think of Palm Springs- where the golf courses outnumber the locals 2-to-1.

ALL LCD displays are polerized. LED, or florecent displays are not. I'm not aware of any LCD displays in the legacy.

That being said, just being polerized is not sufficient to cause problems viewing with polerized glasses, it must be both polerized, AND polerized perpendicular to your glasses to be a problem. LCD watch manufacturers seem to have figured this out, and back when I used to wear polerized sunglasses I never had trouble reading my watch. But it was fun to turn my watch sidways and watch the face turn black. It was also nice to be able to easily see into the windshield of oncoming cars, and odd to look into a mirror and have it apear that the sunglasses I was wearing were clear. I did see some notice in the Drive magazine about people having trouble with the navigation system in subarus. It appears from those comments that Subaru got the display oriented exactly wrong, and people with polerized sunglasses can't read it.

Nope, no problems... :)

But it's interesting looking at certain cars and seeing patterns in the tints. :D

Most of the windhsields will appear tinted...some are actually tinted ...the color i most see is violet blue... Otherwise...the patterns in the tints and in the windows are fascinating. Don*t wear them after the sun set though...I have the darkest grey spec and it may become a hazard.

I wear them all the time and can see anything. Definite bonus on the other cars tints call. I have 20%, and between my glasses, the tints, and the other cars I feel like I'm tripping sometimes, but in a good controlled way. Hey anybody ever look at the back of a S500 benz their shit turns purple!!! How about that!!!

Archived