LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

Guess I'm still having some internal dialogs and getting my pronouns mixed up. My bad. ;)

This is the one that was ripping artwork (like shadowbox displays filled with trinkets, not paintings) off the walls and attempting to beat a baby over the head with various objects while cackling uncontrollably when he was at my house last.

Nothing has improved.

Holidays are always... interesting.

my brothers youngest boy did this kind of stuff. he has always been pretty destructive, beats up his older brother and tries to hurt other kids. been kicked out of preschools, a couple kindergartens and such. i got fed up with it a few times, and punished him while in my house, in front of my bro. he didnt like it, so i pretty much "punished" him in front of his kids at my house. really, i just raised my voice and told him if he couldnt keep his kids from doing bad things in my house, i would. my house, my rules, my punishments. those boys are both angels at my house, and much better behaved when we are at family gatherings. my bro finally won a few arguments with his ex wife about being able to use negative words (like NO) and has gone very far with straightening them out.

I initially thought he was autistic. Could still be the case. I have compelling clinical reasons to think FAS over autism. Either/or doesn't change how I deal with him much. He just doesn't "get it" so it's no use trying to talk with him, and I don't have the heart to come down hard on him knowing he seriously doesn't get it. I can't even stay mad at him for long.

His parents, OTOH... I have to not care or I'll be at their throat the whole day. It's not ok to let your kid assault people (including extremely old and extremely young) and wreck everything in sight because "that's just how he is and we're just glad he's alive". It's the all <insert-kids-name-here> show, all the time whenever he's anywhere, because otherwise he'll be under-supervised and literally kill something/someone/himself.

my best friends youngest son is autistic. he was diagnosed early, when he was showing very strong signs at age 4. he was a terror for a long time until we got his behavior under control. most of it was diet and surroundings for him tho, he cant have any sugar at all or he will blast off and be like cornholio with a hammer. as hes gotten older, he is actually fairly intelligent. he just has troubles with the whole connection to other humans and such. he asks odd questions, has issues with personal space and doesnt get that he shouldnt drop trou and take a dump in the living room.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figure this is a good place to ask people just as OCD as I am - for you veteran Dads (and Moms) out there - What's a good stroller / infant car seat set?

Obviously must fit in the back of the wag, and the back when folded. We're looking at getting the gear for our future kiddo.. but we've got 5 months to decide, figure there's no harm doing research early.

We looked at some Graco monster stroller today - includes an infant seat, a toddler seat, car mount base, and a wheeled base. Looks cool, very functional but the frame is thin aluminum and hard plastic. Though very light, it doesn't look very strong and durable at all.

Our Graco is 18 years old and I just passed it on to a lovely couple certified for fostering and adoption in a nearby community. Also a good advertisment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trying to figure out if which middle school we should send our daughter to. She recently complained that kids are making fun of her becz she's smart and she says she afraid to speak up in class. One school has twice the number of advanced placement classes than the one our daughter would normally attend, but no bus service so have to drop off and pick her up every school day. Don't know if we can do it if I can finally find a damn job. :spin:

Trying to figure out if which middle school we should send our daughter to. She recently complained that kids are making fun of her becz she's smart and she says she afraid to speak up in class. One school has twice the number of advanced placement classes than the one our daughter would normally attend, but no bus service so have to drop off and pick her up every school day. Don't know if we can do it if I can finally find a damn job. :spin:

Work from home. That way you have a job and your kid can get the education she deserves.

Yeah yeah, I know... easier said than done.

teach her karate/ mma. those kids wont bug her for too long.

seriously tho, kids are cruel anywhere. changing schools may solve one problem, then bring out 3 more.

She spends 15 hr/wk dancing and playing guitar, so no extra time. We were thinking of sending her to the alternate school before she said something about other kids to her mom just for the greater number and options for AP classes.

And I got the same crap in law school about speaking in class. I was deemed a "gunner" for said proclivity, but hell, if I'm going to pay $60k for a degree, I figured I'd better get the most out of it. She'll eventually toughen up. I was pretty meek at that age. Not anymore. :lol:

• Moderators

Saw this through a random FB post (full blog here: http://moreclaremore.com/stay-home-dad-leaves-post-wife/). Anyway, saw this one image and thought it applies pretty well. I'm extremely efficient at cleaning up vomit and other bodily fluids :lol:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/stay-at-home-post-its-11.jpg?w=500&h=667

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...

18YO is on 2nd diagnosed concussion in 2 weeks. On her way to hospital for MRI tomorrow morning WITHOUT ME. I'm not OK with this, but she's 7+ hours away. We've agreed that if anything shows on the MRI I'm walking out of work and heading south. Sorry IAG, but kid comes before car. This is killing me. Every call/text I get, I'm in tears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hang in there. I imagine you have been preparing her for 18 years to be able to handle this stuff. I was hospitalized while in college for pneumonia and my parents couldn't make it for a day and it killed them but it was good for me to have to put on my big boy pants. :) All else fails get in the car and go... ;)

Thanks - the first was sledding down 'suicide hill'. Gee what did she think would happen?? Then, doing laundry Sunday, she stood up and smacked her head into a metal circuit breaker box on the wall. After that one she said her head felt mushy and was bleeding. She handled herself very well today - took the bus to the hospital and did fine. No results yet. She sees the doc again Monday, but I'm sure if there's an issue they'll call her before then. She's falling behind a bit in classes and it's stressing her out.

She'll be fine. I just want to give her a hug!