LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

My wife was 23 when she married me. I was 31. Still married 22 yrs later, but I know I wasn't ready to get married in my early 20s. I still had too much "me" stuff I wanted to do with my life, like grad school.

My wife's mother was 15 when she married my wife's dad, who was 18. A judge had to give permission for them to marry and they're still married 50+ yrs later.

Depends on the person and their maturity.

Second on this one.

It really depends on the two as a couple and as individuals. I've been with my wife since I was 16 she 15, now 31. We got "engaged" in college and officially engaged after I graduated and started working. We've had our ups and downs but mostly ups.

What KRB says is true, if there's a lot of "me" stuff that each of them want to do it will be very difficult to keep things working as relationships are supposed to be 100% from each party.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ive been dreading this with both my girls, but im torn on the ramifications of early marriage. i married at 22, got single at 36. i have friends that have been married since right out of high school, and others that waited until they were almost 40. i can see benefit in both ways, but it boils down to what your girl wants to do. if she wants to marry him, she will do it whether you think its too early, and whether you give her the ring or not.

im glad i did it all earlier in life, i watch my older brother with his 8 and 12 yr old boys and know how bad he suffers with it all sometimes, and then my 18+ yr old kids take me to dinner and i realize they are the best part of me.

Had a difficult talk with my 20YO this weekend (overall had an amazing weekend with her). I told her she could not have my mother's diamond ring until she is 24-25. I think her BF was going to ask me for the ring over Christmas. I guessed as much and just think they are too young. I want mom's diamond (which is tiny, but just my gal's style) to be my gal's forever ring. Am I wrong?? I really think she is TOO young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just married my high school girlfriend. We got together when she was 14 and I was 16. We did long (2 and then 4 hours between us) through college. And moved in together right after I graduated college. Lived together for 7 years and then got married. She is 27 and I am 29 now

So she might know what she wants but.....why rush it?

Agreed! Why rush?!? I really appreciate all the level headed opinions on here. Truly. She's a good kid. And honestly if they both graduated and had jobs and were still together, id give them the ring. Just not now.

Maybe she's pregnant?

Jk

:hide:

:lol:

Xo

F OFF!!!!! J/K. I taught her to use good condom sense, a long, long time ago. Plus she's on the pill. She'd best not be, or I'll kick her in the behind.

I started an online relationship with a American girl when I was in college. I lived in England at the time. I was 21 and she was 20.

After weeks of talking online and on the phone I flew over to meet her. I proposed 2 weeks after we met in person.

<< That's her. Just celebrated 18 years together.

(Bear in mind this was nearly 20 years ago when the only people online were IT geeks!)

That's awesome! But, also not very normal. And less normal today. We only dated for 5 months before he proposed (21 years ago), but we'd known each other a couple of years, and we were engaged for over a year. It also 100% depends on the kid, I absolutely agree. Mine can't even do her laundry or change her sheets often, much less pick a life partner. It may well be him, but we'll see. And, they may sneak off... IDK. I will say we've agreed that he can stay in her room when visiting - I'm not that naive.

• 2 weeks later...

...and he's here... Nice boy, but no backbone, just like her. FML what have I created? She's her father's daughter. And I love him dearly, but holy hell. Who will stand up for either of them?? Anyway, it will be a lovely visit. Merry post Christmas.

My 12 yr old niece declared my youngest sister, 22 yrs old at the time, a "doormat" when my sister's live in boyfriend said he still wanted to be with my sister but date other girls and she agreed. And my sister was actually pretty tough. She survived a revolution in the Congo as a Peace Corp worker and lived in the jungle for two years before evacuated. It's weird how people can be strong in one aspect of their lives but wusses in another.

You can do it!

The momma blues return. She leaves tomorrow, and I won't see her until March, if she decides to come home for spring break. Sucks.