LegacyGT.com

The Official PS4 thread

DickDastardly00

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many pieces of hardware have you had fail due to cycling power? I'm guessing a big fat 0.

Umm, what about the millions and millions of xbox 360's that have failed due to poor solder and thermal expansion/contraction caused by heat cycling? Im on #3 myself and all of my friends have had one fail at some point.

As far as the PS3 specs, why do they need GDDR5 memory for the CPU. If the AMD cpu is anything like their PC counterparts, I seriously doubt its memory bandwidth limited with DDR3. Does it share the GDDR5 with the GPU?

Oh, and if it is x86 I wonder what the possibilities will be for modding it similar to the Xbox 1. Having an XBMC type program on it would be awesome.

Umm, what about the millions and millions of xbox 360's that have failed due to poor solder and thermal expansion/contraction caused by heat cycling? Im on #3 myself and all of my friends have had one fail at some point.

Xbox failed because it was a total piece of shit with horrible design and lack of quality control, not because you power it on and off.

Xbox failed because it was a total piece of shit with horrible design and lack of quality control, not because you power it on and off.

Oh no doubt, Microsoft used poor cooling and cheap solder, but it was ultimately due to the heat cycling. It stresses the components more than leaving it on all the time. I know someone who worked for ATI on the Xbox 360 GPU, they ran GPU stress tests on those things in ovens at very high ambient temperatures without issue.

I know a lot more people who own 360's than ps3's

Ditto. Hard to argue that a significant portion of xbox console sales are 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ consoles though...

IMO that's the power of a well developed ecosystem. I was totally receptive to jumping to PS3 when I got it free as a bluray player with a tv purchase. The woefully underdeveloped infrastructure around the console was and is stunning. If PS4 brings something worthwhile to the table on that front, I'll consider it again. PS3 is relegated to a sweet little multimedia device as-is.

Not all of us want multiple generations of the same consoles laying around.

That wasn't really the point anyway. They made a huge deal about PS3 being backwards compatible at launch.

I get salty when useful launch features are later removed. I still have a box of PS2 games that never got played because it didn't occur to me Sony would lol on that particular feature.

On a similar note, does anyone remember when the original PS3 prototype was revealed and it had like 3 hdmi outputs, 3 ethernet ports and a whole bunch of other stuff.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/The_Greater_Lich/playstation_3_white_black_differens.jpg

Edit: only 2 hdmi ports, pffft

Really when are you really going to need more than 1 HDMI port?

How about when you're charging two controllers, or when playing a game with a save from your thumbdrive in one USB port, while charging your controller in the other.

I don't have a PSeye, but doesn't that connect to a USB port too? Any modern day console should have at least 2 USB ports.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I hate that you have to pay $50 per year to play Xbox online. That's one big plus for Sony IMO.

True, but I have serious doubts that it will stay that way. Sony has been trying to subtly move players towards a pay system with the Premium PSN service, I have a feeling you will have to pay a subscription fee to play PS4 games online.

In regards to Xbox live, it's now $60 not $50, which sucks even more. However if you buy at the right time, you should never have to pay more than $35 for a year. Amazon has the annual Xbox live sale every January- February

You should NEVER have to pay more than $35.00 per year for xboxlive because these sales always come around before and after christmas. http://www.forzaplanet.net/forum/images/smilies/sly.gif

Year Xbox Live $35.00 at Best Buy (1-27 to 2-2) Starts this Sunday. In store and Online. WILL be in their weekly ad, so Walmart and Target will price match as well.

Also check Amazon and Newegg.

This one just ended on 2/2/13:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1418&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forzaplanet.net%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2742&v=1&libid=1361488368170&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FXbox-LIVE-Month-Gold-Membership-360%2Fdp%2FB0029LJIFG%2Fref%3Dpd_cp_vg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forzaplanet.net%2Fforum%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D37&title=Xboxlive%20gold%20for%20a%20year%20sale%20%2435.00%20-%20ForzaPlanet%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FXbox-LIVE-Mont...G%2Fref%3Dpd_cp_vg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13614886603122

*** EDIT***

PS4 will not block used games

Used games can play on PS4,”Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer.

“That’s the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that’s my expectation,” he added. Although the used-games-block has been touted for Sony several times, especially in the wake of an NFC patent, it’s really been persistent over on Microsoft’s side. The rumours hold so much sway that used game mogul GameStop keeps suffering share panic whenever they pop up again. It’s probably safe to say that now that Sony’s definitely not blocking used games, for Microsoft to do so would be a grievous error.

How about when you're charging two controllers, or when playing a game with a save from your thumbdrive in one USB port, while charging your controller in the other.

I don't have a PSeye, but doesn't that connect to a USB port too? Any modern day console should have at least 2 USB ports.

HA! I'm a complete dork, you said HDMI and I read it as USB. :lol: That's what 3 hours of sleeps will do to you. :lol:

HA! I'm a complete dork, you said HDMI and I read it as USB. :lol: That's what 3 hours of sleeps will do to you. :lol:

Hahahaha, yeah I was wondering about that. I was going to reply saying I think you're doing it wrong.

With USB, you could use a splitter/hub for it if you wanted to.

I hate that you have to pay $50 per year to play Xbox online. That's one big plus for Sony IMO.

I hated that too. Then I tried playing online with PS3. Turns out good infrastructure isn't free.

I'd gladly pay for PSN if it didn't suck ass.

True, but I have serious doubts that it will stay that way. Sony has been trying to subtly move players towards a pay system with the Premium PSN service, I have a feeling you will have to pay a subscription fee to play PS4 games online.

they better clean it up a bunch before expecting people to pay for that shit. i already hate paying to use services i already pay for (netflix, hbogo and such) on my 360. my son has ps3 and he has all kinds of complaints about their free network content/ features. sometimes ill go into my office and reminisce on either the ps2 or ps1. nostalgia. i still have my genesis hooked up, but the controllers stopped working a while ago. that sucks.

*** EDIT***

PS4 will not block used games

Meh. I don't expect any console will block used games. The games themselves just evolved their model to require "passes" or whatever term they come up with to sugar coat the idea of requiring more money to own the complete game. There is no benefit at all for Sony or MS to clamp down on used game sales since this model has already been adopted. Chances of that going away are near-zero.

In regards to Xbox live, it's now $60 not $50, which sucks even more. However if you buy at the right time, you should never have to pay more than $35 for a year. Amazon has the annual Xbox live sale every January- February

Yea I have always managed to get it for $35. Amazon currently has it for $40.

Archived