LegacyGT.com

The Official PS4 thread

DickDastardly00

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then I'm confused. You seem to imply that the lack of an always-on options is a weakness because

There wouldn't be anything stupid about it if you couldn't just leave the console on and achieve the same thing, while prolonging its life by not heat cycling the internals.

But you then say it's not something that will ever be encountered.

Most computers don't last long enough to find out. Before you would have to worry about the problem, it's obsolete.

Is it or is it not a flaw?

Also, could still use a reference that turning a computer on and off shortens its lifespan, regardless of how useful it will be at the end of it's life.

I already turn off my computers when not in use. I'm looking for a credible reference that suggests otherwise to back-up his claim.

I understand that, I'm just saying don't pay any attention to what he said. Lol.

Then I'm confused. You seem to imply that the lack of an always-on options is a weakness because

But you then say it's not something that will ever be encountered.

Is it or is it not a flaw?

Also, could still use a reference that turning a computer on and off shortens its lifespan, regardless of how useful it will be at the end of it's life.

First post was about consoles. (~10yr expected lifespan)

Second post was about personal computers. (~3yr expected lifespan)

And sleep mode on a console isn't a "flaw", it's just unnecessary.

As for a reference, I have none, other than the physical properties of metals.

I'm going to wait until sony gets the bugs worked out of this one. The PS3 bluray drive failures of the fat PS3 and Xbox360 rrod of the early models are enough to make me wait. I had two bluray drive failures of my fat PS3, and the second time I just bought a PS3 slim and it has been fine for about 2 years. I have a PS2 that is over ten years old and still works fine, but spending $300 fat PS3 and getting 2 years out of it stinks.

And there will need to be a LOT of good, original games besides recycled first person shooters.

Infamous: Second Son and Watch Dogs are worth it alone.

That said, I still have a ton of PS3 games on my list to play before I even consider a PS4. No point of shelling out launch price when they'll come out with a smaller, lighter version that's cheaper a couple years later.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I'm going to wait until sony gets the bugs worked out of this one. The PS3 bluray drive failures of the fat PS3 and Xbox360 rrod of the early models are enough to make me wait. I had two bluray drive failures of my fat PS3, and the second time I just bought a PS3 slim and it has been fine for about 2 years. I have a PS2 that is over ten years old and still works fine, but spending $300 fat PS3 and getting 2 years out of it stinks.

And there will need to be a LOT of good, original games besides recycled first person shooters.

No new technology in the PS4. I think it'll be alright, but sure a revision will be nice as it'll be quieter and run cooler.

So what did you guys think of the Driveclub video? I like that you can walk around the cars, get under the hoods, open the doors etc. It looked better than FM4's autovista mode and it seems to be applied better too since you use those features in-game rather than in a separate game mode.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

*sigh* the more announcements they make about the system the more I'm disappointed by it.

They're removing the ability for it to play PS1, 2, or 3 discs, AND PSN games won't be compatible either, really? Emulation costs for discs is fine, but I really don't see why they couldn't manage to be able to port your PSN purchases over.

That's where they lost me as a gamer with the PS3. Great media device, no interest in their half-baked ecosystem and "backwards compatible! No wait, just kidding lol".

I'll be watching all the stuff they put up around the PS4 more intently than the console itself. Hopefully they get a few more things right outside of hardware specs this time around.

BC is not a big deal guys, my PS3 still plays PS3 games. I want a PS4 not another PS3

Not all of us want multiple generations of the same consoles laying around.

That wasn't really the point anyway. They made a huge deal about PS3 being backwards compatible at launch.

I get salty when useful launch features are later removed. I still have a box of PS2 games that never got played because it didn't occur to me Sony would lol on that particular feature.

There are a couple of good games that I still like to play on the Nintendo 64, XBox and PS2. I don't really like the clutter of having extra systems, but for the $30 Gamestop will give me for an old console and a couple of games I would rather just keep them.

Archived