LegacyGT.com

Best transmission/differential oil

relative4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rear Diff: So Motul Gear 300 Gearbox Oil 75W90 works in the rear diff (2005 LGT)? Was confused as to which Motul has friction modifiers and which doesn't (the whole Redline vs Redline NS (for MT/front)) if I have that straight.

I use Extra-S in MT/front diff.

So way back when I bought some

ONLY,

Amsoil Severegear 75w-90

Oh did you understand, ONLY ?

Anything wrong with doing that, front/rear? Seeing as I bought the fluids already.. or should I change it up a bit and put in Extra-S up front?

I noticed there's been a lot of fluffy talk since OP

05 LGT 5spd @ 55k miles.. haven't touched the fluid since I bought'er 10 years ago. :p

You will be fine.

I hope you learned not to put the plugs in very deep. They don't have to hold pressure, just keep the fluid in.

Yes anti-seize should be fine on them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This post: "Synchromesh shears easily, and does allow metal-to-metal contact. You get the impression that you are making the synchros work "better", when you are simply accelerating their wear ultimately ensuring you will need to rebuild the trans" is not exactly correct. An earlier post got it right - you don't use any kind of synchromesh fluid in a transaxle because of the hypoid gears (final drive) will get destroyed.

Many "in line" manual transmissions specify some form of synchromesh fluid and it works just fine. In fact the NV folks (Chrysler/GM JV) were very firm that you not use anything other than synchromesh fluid in their 5 speed light truck 'boxes.

While 75-90 gear oil is common in heavier truck transmissions, it is not common in cars and light duty trucks (except those with transaxles). Probably the heaviest duty car manual transmission out there is the Tremec T56/6060 family used in Vettes, Vipers et al, and they specify a plain old dino DEX III - which is thin, comes out like water when it's hot, but does the job. Lots of Vettes around with 100k plus on them operating just fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So, having read most every thread on trans fluid:

(3) RL LWSP to (1) Motul 300 (BAC)?

or

(1) RL LWSP to (3) Motul 300 (Infamous)?

or

Just get the Fred Beans 60K kit with the Subaru extra-S? Seems like a good deal.

or?

Coming up on 60K on my 08 LGT. No real problems, but sometimes it takes a couple tries to get into reverse and a slight whine in 5th on colder days.

I just searched around the web, seems FB's has the best deal and lowest shipping for Extra-S. That's what you should use unless you have grinding when shifting.

I see "unclescotty" is now saying heavyweight in place of the lightweight...over on NASIOC.

FWIW, I have Amsoil in my 5mt currently.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Definitely sounds like a good candidate for extra-S. If you do go with the mix, I'd think you'd be better off with the (3) Motul to (1) LWSP since you don't have any issues. BAC's mix seems better suited for more troublesome trannys. hehe

Long time no see, Max!

Definitely sounds like a good candidate for extra-S. If you do go with the mix, I'd think you'd be better off with the (3) Motul to (1) LWSP since you don't have any issues. BAC's mix seems better suited for more troublesome trannys. hehe

Long time no see, Max!

That's not my fault LOL

I've been here....

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon and Extra-S.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007L6Q1EK/ref=pe_58340_136452410_em_1p_0_ti]Amazon.com: Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive[/ame]

Amazon and Extra-S.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007L6Q1EK/ref=pe_58340_136452410_em_1p_0_ti]Amazon.com: Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive[/ame]

This is Not the good ol extra-S sadly...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I understand from talking to Fred Beans parts that it is Extra-S in the bottles.

They started selling it so people didn't have to purchase the 5 gal drum.

Yes, this is what I understand. The Extra-S I bought from them a few years back came in a tall long neck bottle. I used some Extra-S from it last night when I changed my rear diff fluid.

It had Motul 300 in it for the last 33,000 miles. Stuff came out pretty clean for that many miles.

Archived