LegacyGT.com

Best transmission/differential oil

relative4

I understand from talking to Fred Beans parts that it is Extra-S in the bottles.

They started selling it so people didn't have to purchase the 5 gal drum.

Does Extra-S have difficulties in the cold? Because the stuff I got from Fred in the generic Subaru bottles does. That is what made me suspect that it wasn't Extra -S even though the web site listed it as extra S

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this to get one last opinion for those who see it. It's crazy the different amount of straight fluid and cocktail mixes people recommend.

Just picked up an 06 5MT with 76k miles. Tranny seems fine but I just want to change for piece of mind. If I have no issues, which option should I look into?:

Option 1

Front: 3 Motul, .8 Shockproof

Rear: 1 Motul

Option 2

Front: 3 Shockproof, .8 Motul

Option 3

Front: 3.8 Motul

• 3 months later...
Is extra-s no longer the best stuff to use? Are the new bottles from Fred beans still the same?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Is extra-s no longer the best stuff to use? Are the new bottles from Fred beans still the same?

Call FB's and ask them on the phone or send them an email and get it in writing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Bumping this to get one last opinion for those who see it. It's crazy the different amount of straight fluid and cocktail mixes people recommend.

Just picked up an 06 5MT with 76k miles. Tranny seems fine but I just want to change for piece of mind. If I have no issues, which option should I look into?:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Is BAC still around? From surfing the threads is looks like option 1 is best. I got 117K on my car and the clutch is starting to slip in 5th. Probably will go with Exedy OEM clutch and change the fluids since they have not been touched in 8 years.

Is BAC still around? From surfing the threads is looks like option 1 is best. I got 117K on my car and the clutch is starting to slip in 5th. Probably will go with Exedy OEM clutch and change the fluids since they have not been touched in 8 years.

If your tranny shifts fine, no grinding going into gears, do not use the cocktail.

The rear diff holds .8 qt.

BAC hasn't been around for a couple years now, Last I spoke with him he was in Germany for his company. You might try and PM him.

He is missed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Call FB's and ask them on the phone or send them an email and get it in writing.

Thanks, I emailed FB, but forgot to update here. They told me it's not the same fluid they used to sell. Not sure if I'm going to use the new stuff or not.

Does anyone have any experience with the new extra-s?

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I Used the new stuff. I am not happy with it compared to all the rave reviews on the forum of the 'old stuff'. My 5spd feels notchier in the cold.

Thanks for posting your review.

sounds like Motul300 is the way to go. I use Amsoil Severgear, just because I use there products.

Yes, I have used both, the rear diff in the Spec has Motul 300 and I have used it in the 5mt in the wagon. Have a couple qt's of it in the shed.

Both work well in these cars.

Yes, I have used both, the rear diff in the Spec has Motul 300 and I have used it in the 5mt in the wagon. Have a couple qt's of it in the shed.

Both work well in these cars.

MC thanks for the input. I also have an 08 Spec B. Im tossed between the Exedy FJK1002 and FJK1000 Both seem to fit but the 1000 is for the STI.

Call them and speak to a Tech Rep. The Rep at Spec Clutches said, they never recommend anything less then a Spec 2+ in these cars.

PM Underdog, ask him for prices and his recommendation.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

If your tranny shifts fine, no grinding going into gears, do not use the cocktail.

So what is the downside of adding the Redline LWSP? Why would it not be good for a manual transaxle in good condition?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used Napa 80w-85w-90 gear lube? It seems to be the only oil I can find locally that doesn't include limited slip friction modifiers. As near as I can tell it should be similar to Valvoline without the modifiers. And at $5.99/qt is quite reasonable!

IMG_20151117_115951.thumb.jpg.dee73ef23fecf48b09b99bf6c4ac7198.jpg

IMG_20151117_115959.thumb.jpg.afd3b37d13325bf2ef75342c2711ae64.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a 99 Legacy 5mt and I have had a 5th gear Syncro grind when the transmission warms up. I switched to the Subaru 75-90 and was surprised to have the problem become worse. 180,000 miles and just bought the car.

I know the recommendations differ between 6mt and 5mt, I'm wondering if the 1qt shockproof and 3 motel is the recommendation for a DD. Also, is the general consensus that Syncromesh should no longer be used?

I have a 99 Legacy 5mt and I have had a 5th gear Syncro grind when the transmission warms up. I switched to the Subaru 75-90 and was surprised to have the problem become worse. 180,000 miles and just bought the car.

I know the recommendations differ between 6mt and 5mt, I'm wondering if the 1qt shockproof and 3 motel is the recommendation for a DD. Also, is the general consensus that Syncromesh should no longer be used?

That redline cocktail should help for a while.

Grimmspeed I think sells a cocktail too on there web site.

Archived