LegacyGT.com

Hyundai 2.0T Sonata

I kinda knew the Volvo would have a fairly low residual value, but we mainly bought it b/c we were looking for an AWD sedan with balls. The Volvo was chosen b/c of the 5yr bumper to bumper, 5yr incl maintenance and for all the proactive safety tech (city stop & pedestrian full auto brake).

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just had to drive the Sonata in snow.. I live in Wisconsin and unless your buying a Sonata for your summer car.. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. The traction control leaves you barely moving to get into traffic and if you turn that off it will spin as fast as the turbo... I really just want to say lets compare apples to apples here.. Hyundai 2.0t does not hold a candle to the market that buys the LGT to drive it.. The 2.0t is however a very well built car to take your kids back and forth to school.. As long as its parked between the months of November thru May... And I would be willing to (if anyone with the two cars lives close together) bet the LGT pulls ahead in any relevant races.. Considering race to top speed really isn't the best car to have on a highway with speed limits...

Having driven the Sonata extensively I can say that it is a very nice car around town. It is the furthest thing from a drivers car I could describe. Its very obviously fwd in the worst possible way, the open diff is a mess (if that front diff is not open then LOLOLOL because its that bad).

Yeah try exiting a turn on power.

AT for AT I prefer the sonata's automatic. The 6spd is nice for what it is. Other than that and the obvious benefit of a flat floor in back (woo-woo) there is nothing about the Sonata that is better than the LGT. (And I am absolutely certain I could roast the doors off of one with my wife's stage1 OBXT)

Just had to drive the Sonata in snow.. I live in Wisconsin and unless your buying a Sonata for your summer car.. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. The traction control leaves you barely moving to get into traffic and if you turn that off it will spin as fast as the turbo... I really just want to say lets compare apples to apples here.. Hyundai 2.0t does not hold a candle to the market that buys the LGT to drive it.. The 2.0t is however a very well built car to take your kids back and forth to school.. As long as its parked between the months of November thru May... And I would be willing to (if anyone with the two cars lives close together) bet the LGT pulls ahead in any relevant races.. Considering race to top speed really isn't the best car to have on a highway with speed limits...

I live in Montana. I, just this week, drove my car from Kalispell, Montana to Driggs, Idaho with snow the entire drive (500miles). With Blizzak snow tires I didn't have a single issue, the stock tires are not designed for foul weather. If you are incapable of driving a FWD vehicle snow, especially with traction control and stability control, you have no right to be on the road in the first place.

Also I guarantee passing times are shorter in the Sonata, if we're talking about usable performance.

Having driven the Sonata extensively I can say that it is a very nice car around town. It is the furthest thing from a drivers car I could describe. Its very obviously fwd in the worst possible way, the open diff is a mess (if that front diff is not open then LOLOLOL because its that bad).

Yeah try exiting a turn on power.

AT for AT I prefer the sonata's automatic. The 6spd is nice for what it is. Other than that and the obvious benefit of a flat floor in back (woo-woo) there is nothing about the Sonata that is better than the LGT. (And I am absolutely certain I could roast the doors off of one with my wife's stage1 OBXT)

There is no doubt the Sonata isn't a great "handling" car. As for the OBXT? I'm sorry, there is no way, less power, more weight and more drivetrain power drain, less aerodynamic. Lets be realistic. Stock the Sonata is putting 239 to the wheels.

Just keep having fun in your Sonata.. Ill have my 05, yes that's right 8 years older, back on the road tomorrow and I won't have to worry about AWD vehicles slamming into me upon acceleration from the rear. I really think you might be posting onto the wrong forums.. You have a lot of leverage against the Honda ricers of the world, but are really in a whole different class here.. As for driving in the snow it's just fine as long as you're 1. On a straight stretch 2. Off the throttle 3. Behind the salt truck with the rest of the FWD cars.. You can't honestly try to compare how the two drive in the snow without being paid as a company spokesman or something.. My GT doesn't need blizzaks to feel sort of safe in the snow.. It feels safe with AT tires on all terrain. Ask my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars.. Her first response was "this thing has a turbo?"

Just had to drive the Sonata in snow.. I live in Wisconsin and unless your buying a Sonata for your summer car.. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone..

Let me introduce you to some winter tires. Sonata is a nice fridge/washer on wheels. Put winter tires on it and it will work in the snow.

There is no doubt the Sonata isn't a great "handling" car. As for the OBXT? I'm sorry, there is no way, less power, more weight and more drivetrain power drain, less aerodynamic. Lets be realistic. Stock the Sonata is putting 239 to the wheels.

Why are you so stuck on this? What part of I've driven a stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and stage insanity LGT, a stage 0 and stage 1 OBXT and a Sonata Turbo do you not understand? What part of "239 to the wheels" means something to do? You do realize what kind of meaningless, subjective term that is I hope. (EDIT: trap speed is MUCH more meaningful than horsepower and I don't mean adjusted trap speed/0-60, etc. I'd love to see a Sonata Turbo pull the sub 1.4 60' that our very own NSFW recorded in his Legacy)

I would also point out the LGT and OBXT are both 5mt. Yeah, her OBXT will not only eat a Sonata in turns with massive profile tires, it will pull a Sonata in a straight line, particularly from a dead stop.

We both know LALGT, that the OBXT wouldn't come close. I have no doubt your LGT would smoke a stock Sonata though.

And regal I love that you have the nerve to tell me whether I have the right to post here with your count at 3 and mine at nearly 4000.

You are on here just to make the rest of the world smile. And I truly appreciate it.. But look at your first post.. Many moons ago, you think it could.. Then you had them back to back. There is a ton of facts on this forum.. But I'm calling your BS because I have the Hyundai sitting in my driveway and honestly miss my car! I wasn't meaning you shouldn't post at all but comparing the two cars (05 LGT-13 2.0t) is laughable at best. I'm sure you had some very helpful posts in your tenure here as a professional. I will take the time to go through and read each and every one..

We both know LALGT, that the OBXT wouldn't come close.

Where do you even get your meaningless misinformation? You do realize a OBXT is not heavier right or that power to weight is more meaningful than whp numbers from arbitrary machines?

Sorry man, there is no chance a Sonata could beat our OBXT 60' (yeah right!), trap speed (no chance vs stage1), or skid pad (on like tires, no chance - 1 open front diff vs AWD).

/unsub because I already know better... and I hope you see the humor in your Fanboi post because you're being a...

Hyundai makes a great product. Nobody wants to own up to that. Overall I would say they are at the top all things considered. I worked on them for 7 years and finally jumped ship because you cn not make money on cars that do not really brake down and have a warrenty that lasts for ever when they do. I now work on BMWs they are very giving. With all that said; I wanted awd,4 door sedan, manual, and sporty. LGT is hard to beet.

You are on here just to make the rest of the world smile. And I truly appreciate it.. But look at your first post.. Many moons ago, you think it could.. Then you had them back to back. There is a ton of facts on this forum.. But I'm calling your BS because I have the Hyundai sitting in my driveway and honestly miss my car! I wasn't meaning you shouldn't post at all but comparing the two cars (05 LGT-13 2.0t) is laughable at best. I'm sure you had some very helpful posts in your tenure here as a professional. I will take the time to go through and read each and every one..

Yes I did own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT MT RBP wagon, many years ago. That doesn't mean I haven't had the chance to drive one since. I drove a 2007 Legacy GT 5EAT SWP sedan (stock) a few months back and I can assure that is the slower car.

And to have the time to go through 3800 posts, well let's just say I'm jealous that you have that much free time.

Where do you even get your meaningless misinformation? You do realize a OBXT is not heavier right or that power to weight is more meaningful than whp numbers from arbitrary machines?

Sorry man, there is no chance a Sonata could beat our OBXT 60' (yeah right!), trap speed (no chance vs stage1), or skid pad (on like tires, no chance - 1 open front diff vs AWD).

/unsub because I already know better... and I hope you see the humor in your Fanboi post because you're being a...

First off the stock OBXT came in around 3600lbs-3700lbs and had 250hp and the Sonata comes in at 3338 and stock is putting out 274hp so power to weight falls to the Sonata. At stage 1 your OB is putting out 270? maybe 280? Take into account the drain of AWD and the Sonata is still putting more to the ground.

To say that an AWD, turbocharged, manual transmission vehicle has a better 60ft time than a FWD, automatic is stating the obvious. If you're talking 1/4mile trap time I'd be pretty confident in saying the Sonata would prove superior, that being said I don't know how your OB is set up. And unless you have modified the suspension on your Outback, the skidpad would fall in favor of the Sonata also.

Now the Genesis is a nice car! I will agree to that without a doubt! It's a car that can be driven and also looks nice. I am not a hater of Hyundai, when compared to cars in their class they do stand out! But this isn't Accordfan.com. If the 2.0t could come up with a halfway decent all wheel drive format.. Which we know won't happen. Then we can have this conversation again. Until then its a FWD family car shaped sort of like an upsides down boat. It is roomy, and the limited I am driving has everything a 23 year old sorority girl could ask for. It's just simply not in the same class for drivability. That has to have me up near like 6 posts now. Haha

Going to trivia night at the bar.. Really hoping they ask me the WHP o a 2.0t.. I have that engraved in my head for life.. It's been a pleasure Burning Monkey, all opinions aside at least you seem to be able to handle some ridicule without ring too overly defensive. Props for that!!

• I Donated
Are you the type that figures out who wins on the track with your calculator?

^^^This.

We very nearly replaced my fiancee's Mustang with a Veloster Turbo (she ended up keeping the Mustang). I definitely appreciate Hyundais. No way would the Sonata hold a candle to the LGT performance-wise in anything but a straight line, and even then, I'm not so sure. In terms of creature comforts, though, I'd say the Sonata wins.

Archived