LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

I disagree.. If you're running an aggressive stage 2 map/setup the 16g won't be a huge upgrade in performance. I definitely feel the additional power between 5200 and 6600, but it's not a huge increase and I lost a bit down low as well. I'm regretting not going bigger. :(

I'll agree with both a little. A well tuned vf40 is just so quick to spool, it's fun around town, but man does it run out of steam after 5000.. The 16g is a noticeable increase up top, and not too bad down low. Once in a while, I wish it had more top end, but only once in a while.

I know it's not exactly the same, but it's a little like when I went from my '84 Jetta GLI (1.8l 8v) to my '90 GTI (2.0l 16v). The GTI actually felt a little slower than the GLI at first, because it was so linear. The GLI just totally ran out of steam after 5500, so the initial hit felt bigger. I could just barely run it to the 6300 rev limiter in 1st. After that, it struggled to get past 6000, even in 2nd gear. After a rev-limiter-removing chip, the GTI would happily run to 7000 in 2nd and 3rd, and probably 4th, if I'd had a chance to test it. It was faster overall, but actually felt a bit slower. That's kind of how the 16g is - it doesn't hit as quick as the vf40, so it feels laggy, but it just keeps pulling, so overall, it's faster.

After 3 years/34K miles with a bnr16g, do I wish I'd gone bigger? Every once in a while, but even on today's road trip of 300-400 miles, I really didn't have more than a handful of cases where an 18g or 20g would have been noticeably more fun. Whereas, in daily driving, the 16g is great because it spools quicker than the others. YMMV - it depends on where you live, how you're able/willing to drive, etc. I spend most of my life these days commuting from home to work and back, and driving kids to school. 20 years ago (can't believe I'm this old!), I would have totally gone 20g or more for the bragging rights.

In the end, if it wasn't for the vf40 being a ticking time-bomb, I would have stayed with it, because it was great around town, which is where most of my driving is. However, after upgrading to a 16g + IP&T oil line, I sleep much better at night :lol:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, after upgrading to a 16g + IP&T oil line, I sleep much better at night :lol:

This so hard.

Though If you're doing a 16G you should really at least spend the extra $150 and get the DW65C just to give to you a little more.

This so hard.

Though If you're doing a 16G you should really at least spend the extra $150 and get the DW65C just to give to you a little more.

Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot the details. I did 16g + DW650cc + walbro (no 65C 3.5 years ago). I was one of the first people to upgrade to a bnr turbo.. Almost 35K miles later, still happy.

• I Donated
Guys, i'm looking for a solution to convert a VF34 to fit to our VF40 style intercooler

Would the part below work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190525216262

Not sure there is any way to do that. The 02-07 WRX style turbos are clocked wrong, and if you reclock them in such a way that our TMIC will bolt up, I'm pretty sure it won't fit under the hood.

I'm told it has been done over and over where I'm from. I seen at least one car first hand, an 05 Spec B :)

Only issue is that the guy who did some of them wants to cut the outlet off my Good VF38, weld a rim to it and use a hose to join the VF34 to the intercooler.

I don't want to spoil a good turbo like that :-/

• I Donated
Only issue is that the guy who did some of them wants to cut the outlet off my Good VF38, weld a rim to it and use a hose to join the VF34 to the intercooler.

Well there you have it. It works... if you cut the outlet off and weld a new piece on. :lol:

Lol. In the one that I saw, the mech used a hose to join the sti turbo outlet to the sawed off outlet . I dont wanna do that man.

EDIT:

Found a guy on here that used it. Here it is, but I'm awaiting his response to the name of the product.

Only problem is It would be turned the other way. The flange would face the intercooler and the round side would face the turbo.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139528&d=1358643498

So, you saying that with this piece connected it would raise the intercooler by an inch or so and come in contact with the hood?

If I remember correctly, the Spec B I saw had his turbo clocked 90 degree facing the the other wheel, and a silicone hose ran under it and back up to the IC.

I'm gonna buy the part and figure the rest out.

Edited by JMLegacy

• 4 weeks later...
Even on the 2.0L, it's likely that a properly-sized ELH and improved fueling would move your VF34's boost threshold further to the left.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

More top end is as useless as a third nipple

If you have windy hills that is.

For highways, i guess the 18g would be ideal.

I went with a vf34 turbo and i'm not sure if i like the turbo lag

I'm untuned now, so i believe you :)

So you believe the vf34 is laggy and you are untuned ? Maybe you should get tuned before you make too many judgements.

I agree with you. But based on my estimation it won't change much. Looking at my spoolup region in my tables it can't get much leaner than that, and dual AVCS...maybe AVCS can take some more pressure. Idk though, leave that to the tuner :)

Whoa. I just read thru all 27 pages because I joined the "my turbo blew" club this weekend.

ZERO boost when I left the house Saturday morning so turned around, garaged it and grabbed the wifes 'Rolla. No smoke either.

Turbine spins, I can't hear or see housing contact (granted it's still in car) but if I push a little axialy the shaft binds and gets resistant.

TMIC says I caught it in time and I planned to pull turbo, drain oil and pull oil pan today but I didn't get to it :( I lost the wind from my sails, haha.

BNR 16g appeals to me. I can't do any fueling now. Hell, I can't even afford this right now, damnit.

The Cobb OTS stage 2 map would run that turbo just fine wouldn't it?

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.