LegacyGT.com

G35 owners discuss the Legacy GT .. very interesting ..

As a car enthusiast I lurk many boards and love the new legacy GT. I'm slightly interested in the 2005 g35 and ran into this thread, very interesting how some of these guys respond, hope this is not a repost ... [url]http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=1&Number=283724&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&part=[/url]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I think that the Infiniti snob points out how well Nissan has done its homework in creaing an entirely new brand. Infiniti people have forgotten that they're driving Nissans. Lexus people have no idea they're driving Toyotas. Acura people, on the other hand, are very aware that they're driving Hondas. Branding is a funny thing. It also points out that mere performance advantage isn't enough for some people, something we always suspected. Kevin

Branding is a very complicated emotional thing -- ask any product manager. Companies will spend quite a bit of money on PR agencies for brand positioning and awareness. Nissan did do it's HW with Infiniti. Not only do people think they're driving a new brand, they're also paying a premium to do so! Ken

I thought it was pretty funny how the Infiniti-snob evolved from completely discounting all things Subaru as complete crap to having some begrudging respect for the Leg GT (and, more surprisingly, the WRX) in the end. However, he's really got to get over himself. I mean, BMW owners are intolerable as it is. Is the world going to have to hear that kind of crap from Infiniti owners, too?

[quote name='SC GT']... I mean, BMW owners are intolerable as it is. Is the world going to have to hear that kind of crap from Infiniti owners, too?[/quote] Well, here's one BMW owner who is also a Subaru owner. Oh, I would take a Legacy GT with BETTER TIRES over a G35. Ed

Yeah I was surprised that they thought the G35 handled better than the GT, since that sounds contrary to what people have said on this forum. If the GT had better tires stock I'm sure more people would agree on its good handling. I have not driven a G35, so I'm just basing this on what other people have said.

[quote name='gtguy']But I think that the Infiniti snob points out how well Nissan has done its homework in creaing an entirely new brand. Infiniti people have forgotten that they're driving Nissans. Lexus people have no idea they're driving Toyotas. Acura people, on the other hand, are very aware that they're driving Hondas. Branding is a funny thing. It also points out that mere performance advantage isn't enough for some people, something we always suspected. Kevin[/quote] Aside from that being a fact-less claim, yes Acura is more "near luxury" than "luxury" but by being essentially a "budget luxury" brand it offers everything the luxury brands do only at a much more affordable price. Wait 'til you see the new RL this Fall - the price is going to stay the same (under $50k), which is amazing considering how much it's going to offer - not just the major features of the luxury brands, but as is typical for Acura, several "firsts". And many Infiniti drivers are made frustratingly aware they're driving a Nissan because of the continuation of horridly ugly interiors from Nissan right through their supposed luxury Infiniti brand. The only true luxury brands in my opinion are Lexus, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura are more entry-level luxury, though Cadillac is closer to luxury than the other two.

[quote name='yacoub']...Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura are more entry-level luxury, though Cadillac is closer to luxury than the other two.[/quote] I don't know about that. To me, Acura has both higher quality finishes, and better designed vehicles than the other two. Heck, think the fit and finish on the TL is better than BMW 3 and 5 series, and definately better than MB C Class. Ed

I don't think Acura will be able to shake the "near luxury" label until it moves beyond FWD (which it is doing with the RL) and V6. Acura really needs to bring a V8 to market and give it exclusively to the Acura line to even think about becoming full luxury.

[quote name='yacoub'][quote name='gtguy']But I think that the Infiniti snob points out how well Nissan has done its homework in creaing an entirely new brand. Infiniti people have forgotten that they're driving Nissans. Lexus people have no idea they're driving Toyotas. Acura people, on the other hand, are very aware that they're driving Hondas. Branding is a funny thing. It also points out that mere performance advantage isn't enough for some people, something we always suspected. Kevin[/quote] Aside from that being a fact-less claim, yes Acura is more "near luxury" than "luxury" but by being essentially a "budget luxury" brand it offers everything the luxury brands do only at a much more affordable price. Wait 'til you see the new RL this Fall - the price is going to stay the same (under $50k), which is amazing considering how much it's going to offer - not just the major features of the luxury brands, but as is typical for Acura, several "firsts". And many Infiniti drivers are made frustratingly aware they're driving a Nissan because of the continuation of horridly ugly interiors from Nissan right through their supposed luxury Infiniti brand. The only true luxury brands in my opinion are Lexus, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura are more entry-level luxury, though Cadillac is closer to luxury than the other two.[/quote] Your suppositions are every bit as "factless" as mine, saith the pot to the kettle. There is only perception when it comes to the building of a brand within a brand, so to speak. Lexus and Infiniti have done a much better job at that building than Acura, based on my observed data. I take it from your comments and talk about the new RL, that you are an Acura fan? Kevin

I drove both the G35 and Leg GT. The G35 is nice. The 3 series still handles better, but the G35 is not a car I'd kick out of my driveway. The only problem for Infiniti (and the other sport sedan mfgs) is that the Legacy GT is nearly every bit as good as they are. No, it might not have a 6-cyl, and it might give up a few ameneties. But I'm speaking with my wallet. I'm going to buy a GT 5 MT wagon. It's 99% of what those other cars are and in some areas, even more. The biggest problem will be convincing guys like the BS (how appropriate) dude who simply rips it because it's a Subaru, without even looking at it or driving it. Those snobish attitudes will be neigh impossible to overcome. But I don't really care... He (and the rest of the folks there) has a car he likes, we have cars we like. Are they the same? No. But they're both the perfect fit for the respective needs. And that's why it's a great time to buy a sport sedan.

[quote name='gtguy']Your suppositions are every bit as "factless" as mine, saith the pot to the kettle. There is only perception when it comes to the building of a brand within a brand, so to speak. Lexus and Infiniti have done a much better job at that building than Acura, based on my observed data. I take it from your comments and talk about the new RL, that you are an Acura fan? Kevin[/quote] No sir, I was an Acura owner and was an Acura sales person and later in sales management, so while I am a fan of quite a variety of cars, my Acura comments are based in knowledge and experience with the product. While my opinions are only opinions (such as my comments about the Infiniti interior design and the cost vs benefit of BMWs - though those two specifically are shared by many consumers), my comments as to where Acura is headed or where they stand in the marketplace are based upon actual market surveys and knowledge of Acura North America's current situation and products (I keep in touch), and their planned goals for the future.

I kept reading that post to see how much they'd try and bash the new GT, but it turned out that most people were actually on the Subaru bandwagon, and pointing out how Infiniti is just a Nissan. Subaru has made a great car, and that's a point that no one can argue. I can't wait to see if it makes 10Best or even car of the year by a US publication. I kind of don't want it to get recognized too much, because would like to drive a car that not everyone else is. Props to Subaru, though. I also just read about a Forester STi in Car and Driver, so it can't be too far off that we'll be seeing a Legacy STi! Look out!

[quote name='Austin2.5i'] Props to Subaru, though. I also just read about a Forester STi in Car and Driver, so it can't be too far off that we'll be seeing a Legacy STi! Look out![/quote] I just read that article too. [url]http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=8310[/url] It is a nice looking forester. I am not sold on the tall wagon theme, but for those who are, it looks like a a real stormer. Interesting bits. It says it has the US Spec WRX STi drivetrain. Yet it only makes 265hp. Only 15 hp more than the Legacy GT? Hopefully that is de-tuned. I thought the WRX STi made closer to 300hp... It also mentioned that the 6MT has taller ratios on the upper three gears for the engine's torque curve. No torque figures, though. I like the blue paint, and the mesh grille. I also love the red-stitched perf-leather momo steering wheel, with the STi Logo on the horn pad. That should swap right over. Didn't like the outer-spacey ringed shift knob, though. does that trans have some sort of reverse interlock, for which it needs a pull ring? the C&D website doesn't have a great picture, but the magazine itself does. it is a little out-there. If the WRX and forester both get STi treatment, granted forester STi is JDM only, the Legacy is the only odd-man-out. I can't imagine FHI would let that stand for very long. Hell, even Chrysler is coming out with an SRT version of the Magnum and 300C. Everyone and their dog has a premium performance marketing model, or several, either in the lineup or one in the works. The Legacy had better not be the odd-man-out on that deal, either. Take a look at my avatar. The car exists in the skunkworks in Japan, no matter what Suby says to the contrary. Keep the red stitched STi steering wheel, and maybe a more normal red stitched shift knob, keep the blue paint, and a couple other colors, and the mesh grille, and give it the full 300hp+ treatment on the powertrain possibly with the taller 4-6 ratios, STi Suspension, Brembo brakes, and for the love of all that is holy, [b] BRING IT TO THIS COUNTRY! [/b] :twisted:

[quote name='Austin2.5i'] Props to Subaru, though. I also just read about a Forester STi in Car and Driver, so it can't be too far off that we'll be seeing a Legacy STi! Look out![/quote] [url]http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=8310[/url] I think I just found my wife's next vehicle. Oh, honey! Come look at this! hehehe :lol:

I read the comparison that was posted on the G35 site from the [url=http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t99033&v=t98313]autos.msn.com[/url] site. I don't know about you guys but the only place I feel the G35 "beat" the GT was in the warranty department! :lol:

[quote name='brady_bunch']I read the comparison that was posted on the G35 site from the [url=http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t99033&v=t98313]autos.msn.com[/url] site. I don't know about you guys but the only place I feel the G35 "beat" the GT was in the warranty department! :lol:[/quote] Yeah, I'm surprised they would post that, since the GT comes out looking pretty darn comparable or better than the G from that comparison, and several of them are so hot to say they aren't even in the same class.

The thing i tht was interesting is the closed mind attitude that Suburu has to contend with. People on the other board were dismising a car they hadn't seen - which is a bit sad. Dismisive of a mere 4 banger even though it is not lacking in go. Funny how the boxer gets dissed as well. They forget about Porsche of course.....

Archived