LegacyGT.com

G35 owners discuss the Legacy GT .. very interesting ..

[quote name='EJ20H-TT'] Funny how the boxer gets dissed as well. They forget about Porsche of course.....[/quote] I know you are not dissing boxers, but you forgot Ferrari as well. 512 Berlinetta Boxer, Testarossa, and 512TR (all evolution of the same basic model) had a ferrari flat 12, and were among the very fastest cars of their day. BMW Motorcycles have flat twins, and have for a significant portion of the last century, as well as a some laid over "flying brick" inline threes and fours. Then there is Porsche/VW... No explanation required. I am amazed more companys don't use flat engines. Lower CG is always an engineering goal. Rotaries, Flat boxer engines, and laid-over inlines all provide that. Boxers usually being the widest, but most popular of the three.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well tonight on the way home from the gym I came across a brand new, lucky to be 2 weeks old white G35. They guy was so giving it too it along the freeway and I couldnt resist on seeing how far he would push it. (His car will be on the scrap heap within the year he was pushing it that hard) I have a MY01 Liberty/Legacy 2.5 and I kept with him pretty much all the way. He was pretty good in the straight stuff but once we got to traffic and he had to turn that thing called a steering wheel, he didnt have a clue. The car compaired to mine was MASSIVE, I cant believe that PPL are comparing the GT Vs the G35.

I find it interesting and sad that people base thier status on thier car. This has been overlooked in this topic. Those guys discount Subaru simply because they think it isn't chic to be driving one.. that's PATHETIC! I pity a person who drives a car simply because the image that it relates to. Oh, and that bs guy really is a douche.. perhaps the most ignorant, closed minded, elitist post I have seen on any forum. I feel sorry for him and his extremely small genitals.

I'm a newbie here and I'm researching my next/2nd car and felt the need to speak up on this post. First of all I own a G35 and I frequently visit the g35driver forum so I'm quite familiar with the discussion at hand. Please don't group Infiniti owners as "those guys" or snobs. Not all of us feel we own THE luxury car and all other cars are crap. I'm a car person and like all different cars. Also I'm fully aware I drive a Nissan and so are many others. In fact, a good number would rather have our cars here as a Nissan Skyline rather than a completely different name. If you need proof browse through the pics on g35driver and you will see people remove the Infiniti logo and replace it with the Nissan and Skyline logo. As one person stated you are going to a site where enthusiasts of one particular car talk about that car so of course you will find resistance when another car is brought up justified or not. Example, go to a BMW forum and ask the question about 330vsG35 and you will see all kinds of answers questioning why compare a car of a different class. Some people are too caught up on themselves to look beyond the brand. Just because a few people are too ignorant to look past the label, don't assume everyone that owns that brand is the same.

[quote name='G4Teej']I'm a newbie here and I'm researching my next/2nd car and felt the need to speak up on this post. First of all I own a G35 and I frequently visit the g35driver forum so I'm quite familiar with the discussion at hand. Please don't group Infiniti owners as "those guys" or snobs. Not all of us feel we own THE luxury car and all other cars are crap. I'm a car person and like all different cars. Also I'm fully aware I drive a Nissan and so are many others. In fact, a good number would rather have our cars here as a Nissan Skyline rather than a completely different name. If you need proof browse through the pics on g35driver and you will see people remove the Infiniti logo and replace it with the Nissan and Skyline logo. As one person stated you are going to a site where enthusiasts of one particular car talk about that car so of course you will find resistance when another car is brought up justified or not. Example, go to a BMW forum and ask the question about 330vsG35 and you will see all kinds of answers questioning why compare a car of a different class. Some people are too caught up on themselves to look beyond the brand. Just because a few people are too ignorant to look past the label, don't assume everyone that owns that brand is the same.[/quote] Indeed. After all, it would be equally easy to characterize Subaru owners as people with massive chips on their shoulders because the rest of the world doesn't recognize that their cars are as great as they think they are. :lol: It takes all kinds... Kevin

G4Teej - My take on that thread is that there are a lot of G35 owners that are [i]car[/i] enthusiasts who are interested in, and respect, cars that perform well. There were only two myopic [i]G35[/i] enthusiasts who couldn't see anything beyond the badge and the higher price tag. I, for one, think nothing less of G35 owners based on that thread. Hell, believe or not, there are a ton of Subaru snobs. Just start a thread on [url]www.nasioc.com[/url] and say, "For my next car, I am torn between a WRX and one of those Neon Turbos. Which do you think I should get?"

[quote name='gtguy'] Indeed. After all, it would be equally easy to characterize Subaru owners as people with massive chips on their shoulders because the rest of the world doesn't recognize that their cars are as great as they think they are. :lol: It takes all kinds... Kevin[/quote] Indeed :D, well it would be if it had HIDs and a navigation system and a stiffer suspension...... :lol:

Thanks for the post G4Teej, I think you will be suprised at the amount of us Subaru enthusiasts that respect all cars and types (except maybe the SRT4 :lol:) and most of us were probably just put off by the bad apples that posted in that thread that we are discussing. I love the G35 in both sedan and coupe incarnations. They are very nice autos. I think it's funny that the GT got badmouthed for no other reason than because it is a Subaru. It's ok, none of us have lost any sleep over it. People will take notice to the GT.. it's only a matter of time. Many have already.

Welcome G4Teej. I saw a bunch of decent comments from most, but you'll get a few in every place. Like Kevin and modding. :lol: Oh well, to each their own. It's opinions are what make the world go around and give it color.

[quote name='SUBE555']Welcome G4Teej. I saw a bunch of decent comments from most, but you'll get a few in every place. Like Kevin and modding. :lol: Oh well, to each their own. It's opinions are what make the world go around and give it color.[/quote] I'm all for modding, I just prefer to mod the driver, and leave the car alone. But most people don't see it that way, you're right. :lol: Kevin

It's interesting that the Legacy GT compares so closely to the G35 yet it is really more of the size to compete against a TSX and Mazda 6 (if they were AWD & more power). However, the TSX may get AWD and a 250hp 2.2T, and then there is the upcoming AWD 2.3T Mazda 6. Those will be the real competitors, but the Legacy is just the first on the playground so it is getting compared to the G35 which is bigger and targeted slightly more upscale. Since there is no G35 wagon, I'm out on that it looks like.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']What a monkey that one guy is, so clueless.. I know the G35's have been ragged on about interior materials and quality.. i wonder how he would argue that?[/quote] Yes the interior quailty isn't so hot, but it's an I-N-F-I-N-I-T-I... it's got more letters than Subaru :roll: Not to generalize, but I've noticed that a lot of people who drive upmarket Japanese cars tend to be more cocky and out to prove something. Example- I've gotten cut off, and given the finger, and been challenged to "race" by a lot of Acura owners (not just Integras and RSXs) and I drive a Honda. I don't challenge people or stuff but they tend to act up when I try to pass them when they're just cruising in their lane. But when I'm behind the wheel of a BMW 530i, it keeps them on their leash. Actually, I kind of hope that the public shares the same, "It's just a Subaru, dah-ling. That Infinti is so much more the proper auto" sentiment. That way when I get ready to buy mine (hopefully next year), I can get it at a cheap price. I was worried that dealers would push the price up because it would be so popular, but it seems like a lot of you are getting good deals on it.

Since they keep saying how much better the quality/reliability is on an Infiniti, I looked them up on the Office of Defects Investigation site (goverment site, so no one can claim bias or anything--just hard facts). The 04 G35 had 13 Technical Service Bulletins. Since the Legacy is new I thought I'd look up the impreza since the wrx keeps getting ragged on. It lists all impreza's, not just the wrx. TSB's--1! I then looked up the old Legacy, just for the heck of it. TSB's--5. Hmm, strange...somebody has forgotten to tell the Office of Defects Investigation how much higher quality those infiniti's are...

Well, after a lot of back and forth, I wound up going with the G35 6MT. Just signed the paperwork tonight. It was a lot of back and forth, debating the GT Wagon, GT LTD Wagon, and G35. Frankly, I would have been more than happy to do the GT, but the lack of power seats killed that one. I just couldn't get comfy in the drivers seat since I couldn't raise the front of the seat bottom enough for comfort. That brought the choice down to the Legagy GT LTD wagon or the G35. Just not a fan of the looks of the GT LTD sedan. Since it's early and Subie isn't offering any special financing, that was enough to sway the final decision over to the Infiniti. I'm eligible for VPP pricing with Infiniti, and along with the 2.9% for 60 mos (missed on the 1.9% last month), it's hard to pass up. Basically the pricing is a wash. I'm getting Black on Black, no options. As such, I'm out the door for slightly LESS than I would be paying for a GT LTD wagon (was getting rates in the low to mid 4% range). I wish I could buy a new car every day of the week. In the end, the G35 won out, but the Legacy is hardly an also-ran in my book. Enjoy your Subie's :lol: :? :D :) Jim '04 G35 6MT Black '98.5 Contour SVT, 132K (up for sale)

yankee, nice to hear you got what you wanted, they never have everything one would want in the same package, it just always works that way. I hope you enjoy your G35, it's still a nice car despite what some people say, it's just not my first pic, but as I tell everyone, to each their own.

time to join one of those VIP programs: [url]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_discounts.html[/url] remember, you need to be a member for 6 months before they let you buy at invoice. [quote name='il collaudatore']I was worried that dealers would push the price up because it would be so popular, but it seems like a lot of you are getting good deals on it.[/quote]

This Space For Rent

OK, so if Subaru wants to become a premium brand, why don't they just make one of their own? As Nissan has Infinity, Toyota has Lexus, Subaru could have...I dunno - Excelsior? Then stick that badge on the Leg GT, bump the price up to about 40K and all the 'playahs' would be drooling over it. "Yeah, but I got an Excelsoir, yours is just a Subaru." :roll: sqrl b8

hm... I remember over year ago a discussion about BMW 3-series vs Infiniti G35 that did get fairly active from owners of both brands. It's funny how this situation duplicates that discussion. Many people productivly comparing cars in apropriate way. Few BMW owners stating " it's just an Infiniti and we get BMW" while most people agree that G35 is a great value for money (at that time) and being Car Of the Year in Japan (at that time) and might get some people (who want a car, not just the name) converted from higher luxo brands. It is interesting to see how Infiniti changing perception of brand name with introduction of more performance oriented cars to the stable, and how new Legacy compares to other brands in other markets where perception of a brand is not that strong and Subaru is known from little different point that is US.

• 3 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread...but I just had to do it... There should be a new picture on the G35 owner thread. I wonder what their response will be? :twisted: [url]http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=1&Number=283724&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&part=14&vc=1[/url]

Archived