LegacyGT.com

What did U do 2 ya Legacy 2day?

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spent my new years day putting my BE back together.

New clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, swapped transmissions to one with out a blown out VC. diff fluids change. new battery, and new air and oil filters.

Went with the kart boy shifter bushings front and back and there transmission bracket bushings.

new oem pitchstop and transmission mount

oh boy is it like a new car now.

Edit: pictures of in progress.

https://imgur.com/a/y60zo

Good work!

Transmissions scare me. I have never even done a clutch simply because I have never done it before or had anyone that knows better around.

Hopefully I will never have to learn. :p

Yeah I've done it before on jack stands in a carport for clutch and pressure plate swaps. It's a major pain in the ass for sure but can be done.

I think the vc was just ready to give up the ghost from previous owners neglect of the tires and when I cracked everthing open the gears all had rust spots on the non contact faces indicating at some point someone neglected gear oil changes.

Had it aligned today too.

Looks like one set of the rear bushings are about ready for a swap too. Hello all urethane bushings.

Well today I finally got to replace my turn signal/dimmer/headlight combination switch that worked maybe 20% of the time signal my lane changes and turns. Felt dangerous...

A few months ago I took the assembly apart cleaned everything and re-lubed everything and seemed to work for about 2 months but recently it is just scary not being able to signal.

Anyways the part came to less than $90 at SubaruGenuineParts.com (they have online discounts for OEM parts and are local for me).

Subaru Part # 83118FC030

Only took about 10 minutes to do. Hardest part is finding both screws to release the top steering cover. Previous owner already broke the bottom screw off... So I just did the same they did and hid electrical tape around it to hold it all together.

I have never been so excited to be able to signal turns and lane changes in all my life... :lol:

Sounds like you will never own a BMW in your life.

While I have eyed them before I think the cost of maintenance is more a deterrent than the behavior associated with the typical beamer driver. :lol:

I am a bit type A. Can you tell? :)

• 2 weeks later...

While not a doing per say I recently discovered my alternator is whining a lot at higher engine RPMs.

So I am waiting to remove it to have a local shop rebuilt it for me (replacing bearings, brushes & springs, and a new voltage regulator).

I was quoted it would be around $95.

The local Subaru dealer sells a reman for $330! 0__0

I greased my steering linkage, put a exhaust bolt that was missing in and putty'd up my exhaust leak where I did the new donut and spring bolt kit.

Yeah, when I upgraded my steering bushings with Whiteline I used special "marine grease" all over the contact points as it will get very wet down there and needs to stay greasy.

same, with the water grade red grease when i rebuilt my front end, the other thing i did was went to the ball joints that have the grease zerk fittings built into them from Beck and Arnley.

if i had the forsight and time i would have prepped all the moving joints on the front end (rear and front lca busings) to have a zerk fitting channel to hit with the gun every time i do an oil change...... maybe something i do this year when i rebuild the rear end...

I replaced my rear sway bar with a 03 outback's (it's 16mm stock is 14mm)the links are the same I just needed the bigger bushings bolted up fine.

I cut the links in half and popped cap off used vise grips and a open end wrench.

Also did the rear calipers since the rubber on the piston seal was shot and the slide pins were stiff.

I'm not getting fluid to the calipers so I'm going to try and gravity bleed them. Vaccum and standard pump the pedal didn't work, probably cause I had the car too far in the air.

I have three more things left on my list.

I replaced my rear sway bar with a 03 outback's (it's 16mm stock is 14mm)the links are the same I just needed the bigger bushings bolted up fine.

That is good to know. Is it only the 2003 Outback rear sway bars that fit or is it a range on the Outback models?

Thanks for the information.

I cut the links in half and popped cap off used vise grips and a open end wrench.

Also did the rear calipers since the rubber on the piston seal was shot and the slide pins were stiff.

I'm not getting fluid to the calipers so I'm going to try and gravity bleed them. Vaccum and standard pump the pedal didn't work, probably cause I had the car too far in the air.

I have three more things left on my list.

You'll have to post back about how the sway bar affects the driving of the car ive looked at doing the same with mine.

Replaced my master cylinder since the piston rusted up and froze. I think it froze when I tried to pump bleed it.

I've notice the car's handling is super tight and it doesn't have a lot of oversteering any more. Not sure if it was the new bigger link or the bigger sway bar but I'm happy with it over all. I only paid 50$ for the bar from a junkyard and 8$ for moog bushings and 18$ for the endlinks.

Replaced my master cylinder since the piston rusted up and froze. I think it froze when I tried to pump bleed it.

I've notice the car's handling is super tight and it doesn't have a lot of oversteering any more. Not sure if it was the new bigger link or the bigger sway bar but I'm happy with it over all. I only paid 50$ for the bar from a junkyard and 8$ for moog bushings and 18$ for the endlinks.

I'm all about cheap mods. Thanks for the info

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

No problem i would suggest new sway bar links first then the bigger rear bar to notice a difference if there is one

I did everything at once so I'm not sure what had the most effect

Are these the bigger Moog sway bar endlinks you installed on your car?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V5072U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am just curious if I found the correct ones. Where did you find them for $18?

Thanks for all your input and help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well as some of you already know I recently:

• alternator rebuilt (twice in one week!)
  • replaced alternator belt w/ Continental Elite 4050350 Poly-V / Serpentine Belt
  • replaced AC idler pulley w/ Gates 38030
  • patched hole in alternator cover from wrong alternator pulley w/ JB Plastic Gap Filler
  • painted my alternator belt cover blue (to match spark plugs and cover some rust)
  • installed a new AUKEY Dash Cam DR-01 & hid wires in trim
  • re-installed red LEDs into instrument cluster and replaced misc instrument cluster bulbs

Timing Belt Cover Hole

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/brisky86/IMG_20170128_181715.jpg

Patched Hole

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/brisky86/IMG_20170129_122130.jpg

Clean Engine Bay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/brisky86/IMG_20170128_165614.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Changed my control arm bushings.

Check out my video. Like Subscribe and comment let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUK45oUSPo

Not bad for a first video.

Was it $88 for EACH control arm bearing?

Man that is pricey.

Where did you buy from? Ebay?

Is there any noticable difference you can feel when you drive?

Do you know if there are as easily replaced bushings on the rear of the car?

Thanks for all you contribute.

I appreciate it.

I did the same whiteline ones for mine with all the other components on the front end.

Got to say it was worth it, the dead spot in the center of the steering is gone and the turn in feels way more responsive.

Archived